SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The mid size diesel pick up discussion
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The mid size diesel pick up discussion Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
Let me say I am no expert on this subject. I have been less than an advocate of the latest iterations of the full size diesel offerings with their performance suffocation by regulation and the poor quality fuel available to them these days.
I would not buy a diesel if it was a maintenance money pit and headache. Which to me seem's to be the case in today's market and environment.

Having said that I am curious about all the mid size truck offerings and where they are at.

There is the Titan, the Colorado, Ram, Sierra and silverado and the F150.

What is the scoop on these rigs currently and going forward?

Things like performance, maintenance, longevity, price, etc.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19160 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The diesel in the Titan is no more after 2019. By most accounts, it was a problem child in the early models.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Throwing a curve right away -

Buy used.

I have written about my Dodge Ram in the past, believe it to be a great truck, though not exactly “mid” sized.

It is a ‘95 Ram 2500, king cab, 8’ bed, 2WD, Cummins 12 valve engine, manual trans.

If your primary criteria is economy, I checked mileage about 5 years ago when I bought it. About 20 around town and 25.5 mpg on the highway.
Checked it a few weeks ago, since I had a day trip to NJ and back. Highway mpg now? 25.

“Yeah, that’s great but it’s an old truck, high mileage money pit”.

Actually, no it’s not. I did some homework before hunting for this truck. The 12 valve Cummins is known to last 3,4 and 500,000 miles. Got mine in 2014 with 95k on it. Have 180k now. It has been in the shop one time to reset the dashboard lights after I replaced a rusted through brake line. All the other work I have done myself. What little of it there has been. Biggest jobs in 100k miles? New engine to tailpipe exhaust system, stainless, 4”. And I also replaced the front discs and pads.

“Yeah, but you can do this stuff, I don’t have the space/time/ability/tools”.

This may well be true for many. But I have priced parts for the ‘95 and for things like a 2015 Dodge - parts for the ‘95 are much cheaper than those for the newer trucks. In addition I don’t need DEF fluid nor do I get emissions inspections.

I can carry 3,000 pounds in my bed according to the factory manual. Pull 10k trailer with a frame mounted hitch. With a new coat of paint the truck cost me (in 2014) 15k.

Ok, I’ll get off my soap box now.

New may not be better.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sasquatch28:
The diesel in the Titan is no more after 2019. By most accounts, it was a problem child in the early models.

The Titan as a whole has been a problem child, especially in the early models...

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
We just got our first batch of 2020 Silverado 1500 diesels, we had some ordered for 2019 but they cancelled them all. I haven't driven one yet but heard one running, very quiet. I would tell you all about it but I like speaking of first hand experience and I have none, too new.

I did find this write up

https://www.motor1.com/reviews...-diesel-first-drive/

And a link to one, don't pay attention to pricing, i'm sure it would be cheaper

https://www.maxieprice.com/veh...st-3GCPWDET1LG165689

A write up from chevy

https://media.chevrolet.com/me.../0725-silverado.html

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
I hear ya Chris42. That was a great truck and like you if you have one and can do the work when needed. It is still a great rig and engine. Too bad finding one now that is still a good buy if you are not a mechanic type is long gone.

This thread is more about the smaller newer generation of diesel pickups.

No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
There is also a 2.8L diesel in the Colorado, that one has been out for a few years

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks bigswede,

Dodge has kind of been the leader in the industry as they have had one out in there 1500 for a few years now.

Who makes the power plant for the GM trucks?

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Thanks bigswede,

Dodge has kind of been the leader in the industry as they have had one out in there 1500 for a few years now.

I believe the Duramax in the Colorado is an Isuzu engine, not sure on the Silverado & HD

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15289 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks bigswede,

I'm researching, I believe they are made jointly with Isuzu, as the 6.6 has been since it came out in 2001?

posted Hide Post
The Colorado is pretty much the only mid-sized you have listed, the rest are full size trucks.

While I have a '13 Duramax to tow my 5th wheel, the high cost of the diesel in new trucks makes it really cost prohibitive. Especially since diesel is now more than the price of gas. Not to mention all the emissions stuff on the diesel trucks.

IMO the high mileage diesel in 1500 or 2500/3500 series trucks is a thing of the past. With all the computer stuff, emissions and everything else, you seldom, if ever, see "newer" diesels with 300+K miles on them. If they were still that long lived, it might make financial sense to buy one, but they don't seem to last as long as earlier ones.

Mileage on modern diesels isn't what it used to be either, again, mainly due to the emissions, but I'm sure in no small part to the size of these trucks (2500/3500 series).

When we were up in Michigan this past summer, we ran into a couple that had a '96 F350 diesel, over 600K miles on it and still towing just fine. They were from FL.

Jeep recently announced the diesel coming to the Wrangler. Not a huge increase in mileage over the gas engines, and a serious premium in price. Wranglers are not towing vehicles.

I don't remember the exact towing ratings for the Colorado with the diesel, but I seem to recall them being right around what the V6 can tow.

Unless you just want to say you have a diesel, or tow most of the time, or just want the peace of mind of towing with a diesel, they don't make much financial sense anymore.

I had an 2008 GMC 2500 HD with the 6.0 gas, traded that in on the '13 Duramax, so I understand the differences in towing with the two engines. When I upgrade my '13, I'd be hard pressed to buy another diesel, biggest reason being the cost associated with the upgrade, and how good the new gas engines are.

The 1500 series diesel trucks are fairly new, time will tell how long they last.

Posts: 760 | Location: Athol, ID | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
Thanks bigswede,

I believe the Duramax in the Colorado is an Isuzu engine, not sure on the Silverado & HD

I know two people with them. One is I think it's called a Z71? Both owners extremely happy with the trucks, the engine, etc. I drove one of them, nice truck but I didn't need the towing capacity and wanted the better ride and handling of the Ridgeline. If I needed the towing or offroad capability that Z71 diesel is damn awesome. I prefer the mid sized options over full size options. The mid sizes today are what the full sizes were 10-15 years ago.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Mid size to me is a half ton. Full size has always been the real 3/4 ton and one ton models.

I understand how millinials think half tons are full size though. Wink

Thanks for the info. guys. keep it coming.

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mid size to me is a half ton. Full size has always been the real 3/4 ton and one ton models.

I understand how millinials think half tons are full size though. Wink

Thanks for the info. guys. keep it coming.

interesting break down,

in this area a full size truck is a Ford F150\Chevy\dodge all the same size,

mid size was Dodge Dakota or the older Toyota T100 or first gen Tundra,

then the mini or small trucks (taco)

now it seems the Taco has grown almost as big as my first get Tundra,,

but back to the topic,

a friend has a 1ton Chevy van, maybe 3 yrs old,
his work and gunshow truck
he thought he was getting a V8 diesel, but it has some Isuzu built inline in it,

he says it does great, loaded or unloaded, decent mileage and performance, and it was relatively quiet

until something in the exhaust system plugged up, 4K our of warranty,, (it was in the shop a couple weeks ago)

likely a one off problem, but he said he was told the DEF may have part of the blame,

meanwhile my E350 , that sounds like someone it shaking a can of rocks when you drive it, is running like a top, (2005 model)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10419 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own a 2017 Chevy Colorado with the diesel. I have a full size F250 to put the camper on, but wanted a smaller truck. It has a tow rating of 7900 pounds and runs like crazy. It is an Isuzu motor and I get about 27 mpg in town up to 35 on highway. A friend of mine bought a 2019 Z72 Colorado with a diesel and loves it to. I have towed a side by side and an enclosed 7x14 trailer. Both towed like a dream. Good luck, I looked at a few different ones but glad I bought the Chevy.

Posts: 937 | Location: Greeley, CO | Registered: March 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post