SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Basal cell carcinoma on nose questions - Update: MOHS surgery completed, details page 3
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Basal cell carcinoma on nose questions - Update: MOHS surgery completed, details page 3 Login/Join 
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
All those options sound better than the short angry pregnant dermatologist who went after a tiny spot in my chest with a melon baller. 4mm spot, 2 inch scar that looked like I'd sewed it up myself.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I got call from my dermatologist and it was confirmed as basil cell as he expected.

I already have surgery tentatively scheduled with a Mohs surgeon Monday December 10. I found one in my primary healthcare network who has a lot of positive reviews and she also has training in advanced facial reconstruction but she sure is busy LOL.

https://pdskin.com/team/sogyong-auh/

I also scheduled with my regular guy next week to have the full body check.

Thanks again for all the wonderful and extremely helpful advice and sharing of experiences. SIGforum, my one stop shop for just about anything I need to know. Smile

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Remember, Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever.

Good luck on your surgery....!

Posts: 23450 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
All those options sound better than the short angry pregnant dermatologist who went after a tiny spot in my chest with a melon baller. 4mm spot, 2 inch scar that looked like I'd sewed it up myself.

Wow, sorry to hear that. Remember though, chicks dig scars. Smile

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Remember, Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever.

Good luck on your surgery....!

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Picture of Orthogonal
posted Hide Post
Often this affliction re-occurs. You may wish to inquire of your dermatologist as regards "Efudex 5%" which is, in a loose sense, a prophylactic cream of fluorouracil for forestalling, inhibiting, or preventing basal cell carcinoma. It is therapeutically prescribed for suspect pre-cancerous areas of the skin at the direction of your physician.

Posts: 519 | Registered: May 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Often this affliction re-occurs. You may wish to inquire of your dermatologist as regards "Efudex 5%" which is, in a loose sense, a prophylactic cream of fluorouracil for forestalling, inhibiting, or preventing basal cell carcinoma. It is therapeutically prescribed for suspect pre-cancerous areas of the skin at the direction of your physician.

It's about time for my annual skin check, I will ask the dermatophyte.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Well I had my MNOHS surgery Monday. It went well. The actual removal of the carcinoma was painless and a piece of cake and took her only 1 try for clear margins and she said it was not deep but was wide with about a dime size piece of flesh removed. When I got the good news she then said well there are a couple ways we can do the reconstructive part. I am like, wait what? I have to make a decision? I thought you just do what is best. She says the options were flap or graft and the both had their pros and cons. Oh great I was not ready for this. Anyhow the flap repair would require a zig zag type incision from right by my eyeball and the full length of the nose. A graft would require a donor site of my far left cheek just below the ear. The graft would probably be a bit lighter in color than the flap repair and require more care by me while it healed. Well I chose the graft as did not like the idea of the long zig zag incision and stitching on my nose. I thought there would be a tiny incision by my ear but it turned out to be about the length of my ear minus the lobe and 15 stitches, oh well LOL.

The actual reconstruction took at least a half and hour and lots of stitching and cauterizing Eek, though it was mostly painless. However on occasion I could feel the cauterizing but the surgeon was real good about further local anesthesia and said to be sure to tell her when I could feel anything which was about 4 times. She said the anesthesia does not last long on the nose.

They finished and then I got cleaned up, bandaged, and sent home with instructions. I have a big bandage on my nose that I can not remove and they will do that next Monday when they remove the stitches by my ear. The stitches on my nose are the dissolving type. Afterwords I was second guessing myself about if I should have had the flap repair done instead but as my wife said, the main thing cancer is gone and you can't change what has already been done LOL.

So glad I got this ordeal over with and hopefully no more and I will be sure to see my dermatologist regularly for skin check.

If anyone has any question about anything unusual on their skin. Please get it checked out as the sooner it can be taken care of the better. I highly recommend looking into MOHS surgery for any removals of skin cancers on the face.

https://www.mohscollege.org/su...inder/disclaimer.php --- locate MOHS surgeon

Here is a link to a picture of my face/nose with the graft in place just before they bandaged me up in case anyone is interested.

https://i.imgur.com/2Jetzg9.jpg?1

I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
between my nose and eye. Dr used a hole saw like device to core a perfect circle however many milimeters he wanted - then pinched the core with tweezers and pulled it up and snipped the bottom end loose so the whole little can shaped piece of flesh came off. Then about 2 stitches to close it up. Never an issue and they said all the margins of the piece he clipped were clean. Very tiny white skin scar now - years later. a few mm's long.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear things went well and you're on the mend.

Posts: 1801 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
between my nose and eye. Dr used a hole saw like device to core a perfect circle however many milimeters he wanted - then pinched the core with tweezers and pulled it up and snipped the bottom end loose so the whole little can shaped piece of flesh came off. Then about 2 stitches to close it up. Never an issue and they said all the margins of the piece he clipped were clean. Very tiny white skin scar now - years later. a few mm's long.

Great to hear. My eyes were covered up so I could not see what was going on which probably was just as well anyhow. By the look of my graft it looks like she used the same type of device.

Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShouldBFishin:
Glad to hear things went well and you're on the mend.

Thanks! Smile

posted Hide Post
quote:
If anyone has any question about anything unusual on their skin. Please get it checked out as the sooner it can be taken care of the better. I highly recommend looking into MOHS surgery for any removals of skin cancers on the face.

Did your insurance cover the cosmetic procedure after the basal cell carcinoma was removed?

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everything sounds good. Just follow the Dr's advice and I am sure all will be well. I am at the age where I have enough scars and wear on my body that I do not worry to much about looks, just trying to stay healthy and on the right side of the grass. Good luck.

Posts: 621 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I am glad all is well.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

Did your insurance cover the cosmetic procedure after the basal cell carcinoma was removed?

I did not specifically check with my insurance but I have read at several places that the reconstructive surgery performed after MOHS surgery to remove skin cancer is typically covered. I expect mine will be also as I have excellent insurance through my wife. I will update when I get my EOB. In any case it needed to be done and I made sure to find a MOHS surgeon in our primary network. Surgery was also done in office versus in a hospital which also helps keep costs down.

Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironworker:
Everything sounds good. Just follow the Dr's advice and I am sure all will be well. I am at the age where I have enough scars and wear on my body that I do not worry to much about looks, just trying to stay healthy and on the right side of the grass. Good luck.

LOL. I know that you mean. Smile

Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I am glad all is well.

Thanks! Razz

posted Hide Post
quote:
I did not specifically check with my insurance but I have read at several places that the reconstructive surgery performed after MOHS surgery to remove skin cancer is typically covered. I expect mine will be also as I have excellent insurance through my wife. I will update when I get my EOB. In any case it needed to be done and I made sure to find a MOHS surgeon in our primary network. Surgery was also done in office versus in a hospital which also helps keep costs down.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Used to live in Chicago. Have family in Rockford and Naperville.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Wishing you well!

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post