SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Basal cell carcinoma on nose questions - Update: MOHS surgery completed, details page 3
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Basal cell carcinoma on nose questions - Update: MOHS surgery completed, details page 3 Login/Join 
Picture of grumpy1
posted
Went to my dermatologist yesterday because I have have a small sore on my nose that has not healed in a few months now. He is pretty sure it is basal cell carcinoma and did a biopsy and sent it out and I should know by Saturday.

https://www.skincancer.org/ski...basal-cell-carcinoma

Basal cell carcinoma for those reading that might not know is a skin cancer but it is not life threatening. It is by far the most common type of cancer.

Anyhow I am wondering if anyone else here has had the same, especially on the nose, and what treatment you had, what the results were, and were you happy with the results, and would you do anything different if you could have. Or even if you know of someone that had such done.

My dermatologist is a one man shop and he does not do the surgery but can refer me to a plastic surgeon if I want. Living in suburban Chicago area there are a lot of choices between dermatologists that do the surgery and plastic surgeons though most of them seem to do mosty cosmetic surgery.

Just from research my options look to be:

-- Scrape it off and cauterize.
-- Cut it off with scalpel.
-- Something called Mohs micrographic surgery, which is what I am most interested in due to to being on my nose and that procedure seems to minimize skin removed and has the best chance of removing all the cancer and leaving the smallest scar. I am especially interested if anyone has had this type procedure.

https://www.skincancer.org/ski...rmation/mohs-surgery

Thanks for reading and any sharing any of experiences if possible.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: grumpy1,

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Moh’s is a well known and successful treatment for basal cells. Good surgeons won’t leave much of a scar, but they must get all the “roots”; the team will closely check the margins of the cylindrical “apple core” to assure you’re cancer free. Easy for the patient. No worries bro. Glad they caught it.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
Moh’s is a well known and successful treatment for basal cells. Good surgeons won’t leave much of a scar, but the must get all the “roots”; the closely check the margins of the cylindrical “apple core”. It to assure you’re cancer free. Easy for the patient. No worries bro. Glad they caught it.

Much appreciated info, very helpful, and glad to hear! Thanks.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
All my older relatives have had it, they are all fine. I've got some lesions, going to the dermatologist in Nov to get checked out. I'm only 50 want to nip it in the bud.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
All my older relatives have had it, they are all fine. I've got some lesions, going to the dermatologist in Nov to get checked out. I'm only 50 want to nip it in the bud.

Thanks, very encouraging. I will be 67 soon. Hope your visit goes well.

Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I know a few people that have had them removed with various methods. From what I’ve seen it’ll be annoying more than anything.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I just had the MOHS surgery on my nose about 6 months ago for Basal cell.

They will cut a long thin slice off and bandage you up and send you out to the waiting room with a big bandage on your nose. If the margins are clear they will bring you back in and stitch you up. If not then they take another slice. Rinse repeat etc until the margins are clear. They got mine in the first pass.

I have a scar running pretty much the length of my nose. Some people get a plastic surgeon to sew things up. I did not.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3477 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I had MOHS surgery just below the inside corner of my L eye. I thought initially I looked a bit sinister, "like a James Bond villain" I told my dermatologist. She offered to go back and work on it, but now that it's completely healed, I don't think anyone notices at all. I guess I would want a dermatologist certified for MOHS to do the procedure, rather than someone who is not and may cut more (or less) than necessary.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ops cwo
posted Hide Post
Have had a few Basal cells removed. Scraping leaves a small discoloration. Mohs works well, but leaves a scar. Dermatology can lessen or remove the scar by laser after a period of time.

Dean

Posts: 265 | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
I've had several skin cancers of various types removed from my face. MOHS surgery is the way you want it handled on your nose. The MOHS can be performed by a specifically qualified surgeon, and then you can go to a plastic surgeon to clean it up. There is not much extra tissue to work with on the nose, which is why the plastic surgeon is frequently needed. The plastic surgeon had to put 25 stitches in my nose. Good luck!

Edited to add: I see you are getting lots of advice, but your issue is specific to your nose, and some advise is coming from people who have not had cancer in that location. The nose is very different when it comes to skin cancer treatment , be careful what you listen to in this thread!

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1859 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I've had 2 MOHs procedures done on my arms. No scaring on either one. My wife had one done on an eyelid of all places. No scaring as well. It's more of an inconvenience than anything else. Have no fear.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
My wife had Mohs on a basal cell carcinoma on side of nose, about the worse place. She had a hell of a hole when surgery was done but we immediately went to a plastic surgeon for closing that we had set up.

Now, barely a scar to be seen and can't see. Pretty miraculous given the the hole I saw.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I have them. Was diagnosed with a dime size patch on my right jaw bone.

Since then, for smaller areas, liquid nitrogen has been used with one exception; there was a spot (I cannot recall its location) where teh doc scooped it out and sent off for a biopsy. The results came back positive and showed she (the doc) removed the whole cancerous area.

After this, just go once a year or every 18 months. You may get lucky and get a cute 35 year-old doc who knows what they're doing. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I had a basal cell cancer removed from back of my neck over 20 years ago. Scalpel, no problems and no scar unless you really inspect close.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
BCC is the only cancer you're almost relieved to have when you hear the C word. Why? Because it almost never metastasizes. 100% cure is the rule.

Q

Posts: 26375 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Wow, so many great responses and muck thanks to you all!!

Another question. Can a plastic surgeon do the Mohs procedure and do the best job of making the nose looking good all at the same time or does it need to be two procedures? I will ask my dermatologist the same when I talk to him hopefully Saturday.

Thanks again for all the help.

Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PR64:
I just had the MOHS surgery on my nose about 6 months ago for Basal cell.

They will cut a long thin slice off and bandage you up and send you out to the waiting room with a big bandage on your nose. If the margins are clear they will bring you back in and stitch you up. If not then they take another slice. Rinse repeat etc until the margins are clear. They got mine in the first pass.

I have a scar running pretty much the length of my nose. Some people get a plastic surgeon to sew things up. I did not.

Thanks for sharing your experience, very helpful. Now I have to think about the plastic surgery part too but that is what I wanted to know.

Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stiab:
I've had several skin cancers of various types removed from my face. MOHS surgery is the way you want it handled on your nose. The MOHS can be performed by a specifically qualified surgeon, and then you can go to a plastic surgeon to clean it up. There is not much extra tissue to work with on the nose, which is why the plastic surgeon is frequently needed. The plastic surgeon had to put 25 stitches in my nose. Good luck!

Edited to add: I see you are getting lots of advice, but your issue is specific to your nose, and some advise is coming from people who have not had cancer in that location. The nose is very different when it comes to skin cancer treatment , be careful what you listen to in this thread!

Thanks for sharing your experience and most excellent info. I am concerned about my nose for the reasons you state. 25 stitches, oh boy but whatever it takes - so says the wife LOL.

Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingScot:
My wife had Mohs on a basal cell carcinoma on side of nose, about the worse place. She had a hell of a hole when surgery was done but we immediately went to a plastic surgeon for closing that we had set up.

Now, barely a scar to be seen and can't see. Pretty miraculous given the the hole I saw.

Thanks for sharing your wife's experience! Glad the plastic surgeon got her all fixed up and it sounds like that is the way I will have to go also.

I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:

Another question. Can a plastic surgeon do the Mohs procedure and do the best job of making the nose looking good all at the same time or does it need to be two procedures?

It will have to be two procedures. A MOHS qualified dermatologist will remove the cancer, and then have you wait while they inspect the removed issue under a microscope. If there are not "clean edges" they will have to go back and remove more, and continue that pattern until they are satisfied they have it all. They will have a plastic surgeon on standby at a different medical practice for cases like this. Be sure to discuss all this with your dermatologist in advance.

Some people I know have had skin cancers on their face and nose for years and just decide not to do anything about them. My best friend died off skin cancer in 2010 (melanoma). I have had the two typical types of skin cancer at the exact same location on my face at the same time, so anything can happen. There is no cut and dried answer, other people's experiences may or may not be relevant. Good Luck!!

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1859 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post