SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hey V-Tail, Cirrus just released a new V-Tail personal jet
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hey V-Tail, Cirrus just released a new V-Tail personal jet Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted
Thought of V-Tail when I saw the pic of the new Cirrus Vision Jet

Here is an article with an embedded video and more pics

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23245 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
The registration for the airplane in the linked article was issued on January 11, 2017. My 80th birthday. Is this a sign?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Definitely a sign.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
The registration for the airplane in the linked article was issued on January 11, 2017. My 80th birthday. Is this a sign?

Call cirrus get one on a 30 year note!

Why not?

:-)

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Isn't their prop job (not sure if piston or turbo) called the "Doctor Killer?" Wonder what they will call this one. . .

Nice looking plane.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21844 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
Isn't their prop job (not sure if piston or turbo) called the "Doctor Killer?" Wonder what they will call this one. . .

Nice looking plane.
I believe you're confusing it with the Beechcraft Bonanza as Cirrus' other aircraft are prop planes with traditional tails.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23245 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Notice they aren't bragging about the range with 45 minute reseve.

Lessee, 2000 lbs is 294 gallons at $4/gal, about $1200.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Isn't their prop job (not sure if piston or turbo) called the "Doctor Killer?"

As tatortodd said, that was originally the name for the Bonanza. Of course, the new plane of any era has the potential to attract people for the wrong reason.

I owned a Cirrus SR22. Wonderful plane and I'm still alive.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Bonanzas are not doctor killers.

Some doctors are Bonanza killers.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember this.

Beginning Jan. 1, 2010, a new Vision Jet production position reservation will require a non-refundable $50,000 deposit to secure a maximum purchase price of $1.72 million. All prices are in 2009 dollars.

I wonder what they are pricing it at now?

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig2392:
I wonder what they are pricing it at now?
The linked article says $2M

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
The nickname for the 35 series of Bonanzas was "the Forked-Tailed Doctor Killer." I think three issues caused this:

1) The Bonanza is a VERY slippery airplane. If an airplane driver (not the same thing as a pilot) loses control of a Bonanza and lets it assume a nose down attitude, it will accelerate extremely quickly.

2) The Bonanza family has _negative_ dynamic roll stability and positive static and dynamic pitch stability. If it is disturbed off of straight and level, it's natural tendency is to continue banking in the same direction. Left alone by an airplane driver, it will eventually end up in an accelerating nose down spiral. *See exercise below.

3) Apparently too many doctors had too much money and were able to afford to step up to more airplane than they were qualified to handle. A bit of inattention in IMC and they were in serious trouble.

*The Bonanza divergent roll exercise: Make sure you have Va (maneuvering speed) memorized for the airplane at the weight you'll be flying at. Get some altitude and some uncongested airspace. Trim the airplane out for slow flight and put your hands in your lap and feet on the floor (no fair keeping it wings level with the ruddervators, leaving aside the ruddervator-aileron interconnect.) Just cruise, scan for traffic, and wait. Sooner or later a wing will drop a little. It could be a gust, could be a fuel imbalance, it doesn't matter what causes it, it will happen. Once this happens, the airplane will continue banking, getting to a steeper and steeper bank angle. As the bank increases, so does the horizontal component of lift (HCL), tightening the turn. As the HCL increases, the vertical component of lift (VCL) decreases, causing the nose to drop more and more. While all this is going on, watch the airspeed carefully. Shortly before reaching Va (maneuvering speed, that speed at which one can make abrupt control inputs without breaking or bending the airplane), reach up, grab the yoke, roll wings level, then immediately let go and put your hands back in your lap. The airplane's natural tendency to return to trimmed airspeed will cause it to pull some Gs. It will nose up sharply all on its own with no input from you. Stabilize, trim out, head back to the barn or whatever you plan to do next.

When you have some time to ponder, consider that you entered this exercise trimmed for slow flight and terminated it upon reaching Va, or better yet a little below. Consider also that the folks who came to grief in the airplane were likely trimmed for cruise, (starting out above Va), were often in IMC, scared shitless, and pulling like heck. Every airplane has a G loading at which it will break. Stay away from those loads and you won't have that problem.

The Bonanza family (the V-tail 35s, the straight tailed 33s and 36s, and I'd lump in the 95 Travel Airs and the 55, 56, and 58 Barons as they are all built on the same basic fuselage with minor changes) are damned fine solid airplanes, but you do have to fly them. They are not a good choice for someone unwilling or unable to get adequate training and be aware of their personal limitations.

Posts: 6917 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
Isn't that jet exhaust going to mess up the paint in the "V" tail?

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
Had one here at Port Columbus the other night

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7903 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Very tidy explanation, Slosig.
So simple, even a flight Nurse could understand it Wink

Thanks,

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Bonanzas are not doctor killers.

Some doctors are Bonanza killers.

Now THAT is funny.

And I was correct with the reference to the Cirrus SR-22.

/05/dicks-blog-whats-wrong-with-cirru

It's no apparent fault with the airplane - it's just like giving a 16-yr old kid a Dodge Hellcat and wondering why he wrapped it around a tree. . .

Another article I found when Googling "Cirrus Doctor Killer" (it even auto-completed the phrase for me) was an aeticle stating the Cirrus to be the 'New Bonanza'. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21844 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's no apparent fault with the airplane - it's just like giving a 16-yr old kid a Dodge Hellcat and wondering why he wrapped it around a tree. . .

Another article I found when Googling "Cirrus Doctor Killer" (it even auto-completed the phrase for me) was an aeticle stating the Cirrus to be the 'New Bonanza'. . .

I haven't read the article yet, but above link no bueno. Suggest trying the below instead:

http://airfactsjournal.com/201...-with-cirrus-pilots/

ETA: Okay, read the article and agree with a lot of it. One thing he didn't hit that I think important is what I'll call "The safety promise of a glass cockpit vs the reality." IMO, a glass cockpit can be a huge safety benefit for the pilot who is thoroughly trained on it and knows it backwards and forwards.. The pilot who buys the pretty glass cockpit for all the safety benefit and doesn't train and study on it is probably worse off than he'd be with steam gauges. When you're focused on the electronics, trying to figure out "WTF is it doing now?" or digging through the manual trying to figure out "How do I get it into <whatever> mode?" you are not aviating, navigating, or communicating. Without the right training, all that wonderful glass becomes a dangerous distraction instead of a boon to safety. I seem to remember that the last words on the AA 757 CVR when it aluminum plated a hillside near Cali, Columbia were, "What is it doing now?" or something very similar.

Posts: 6917 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
quote:

I haven't read the article yet, but above link no bueno. Suggest trying the below instead:

http://airfactsjournal.com/201...-with-cirrus-pilots/
The article I posted 3 hours ago, called the Cirrus the Geek Killer since it came to market in 2001 at the same time as the .com boom.

The Bonanza already had the doctor killer moniker for several decades by then.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
slosig: Good explanation for what you call "the Bonanza divergent roll" and what my wife calls the "the deadly Bonanza spiral." Sounds as if you've spent some time instructing in this series. Actually, it's not restricted to Bonanzas, it can happen with any fast airplane. The more aerodynamically "slippery" the airplane is, the more likely this scenario.

The exercise, pretty much as you describe it, is part of my teaching routine in Bonanzas, with one additional component that I add. At the point where you say "roll wings level, then immediately let go and put your hands in your lap," you point out, correctly, that returning to trimmed airspeed will cause it to pull some Gs.

If this return to trimmed airspeed is fast, the G load might me excessive, so what I teach is to apply a bit of forward pressure on the yoke. Totally counter-intuitive, and it goes against every instinct. We don't apply enough forward pressure to keep the nose below the horizon, but just only enough to slow the rate at which the pitch trim system tries to bring the nose up. Reducing this rate of pitch-up will reduce the G load.

The first time I demo this for a pilot, s/he might be a little apprehensive, but once the trainee understands what is going on, it is not an adrenaline-producing exercise. I demo once, then have the trainee do it and verbalize each step as it occurs. Two or three repetitions, and the lesson has been learned. I strongly believe that twenty minutes spent on this exercise can be a life-saver. It might have saved JFK Jr.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
The article I posted 3 hours ago, called the Cirrus the Geek Killer since it came to market in 2001 at the same time as the .com boom.

The Bonanza already had the doctor killer moniker for several decades by then.

Yes, it did. Sorry, I didn't click on the link you had labeled "the Beechcraft Bonanza" the first time around. My memory may be off, but I'd have sworn that the .com bubble burst sometime in 2000. I remember several of us talking about how we didn't whether to feel sad for the folks who had lost jobs or thankful that Bay Area traffic (at least in the South Bay & Peninsula had been dramatically upgraded from truly abysmal most of the time to generally just lousy and occasionally better. That's a lot further back than last week though, so my memory could be completely off...