SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Toyota Collision Avoidance System Saved Us!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toyota Collision Avoidance System Saved Us! Login/Join 
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
My wife's Escape has the radar thing in the front. It's primary job is to control the cruise contol to match the speed of the vehicle in front of you.
A secondary job for it is accident warning. Not avoidance, but warning. It will beep and flash a red strobe on the dash at you, and will pre load the brakes, but only up to 30%. If you don't take over in time, you will still crash. Also, it will NOT over ride the gas input.
I like it so far. Only time it's gone off is when overtaking a vehicle that's turning in front of me. But as I had my foot on the gas, there was no breaking done.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I purposely ordered my new Subaru without it . Twice now I've had a loaner that had the system . Among other annoying things it does is to chirp and blink if you change lanes without putting on the turn signal, even though there is not another car in sight . It also complicates the cruise control . I hate to think of what happens at high mileage when things start to go wrong on the car. Isn't it Murphy's Law that states if something can go wrong, it will ?

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
I have no use for auto braking systems.

Going down rt 128 in Boston during the day was all I needed to make me feel this way.

If you leave more than 2 car lengths in front of you someone will cut in front of you. This triggers the braking system and the guy behind you has to stand on his brakes to keep from hitting you.

That system was more like crash causing. This was in a 75K Audi.

I used to drive for Enterprise so I got to try all kinds of stuff.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4580 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

I do like backup cameras, especially when there are index marks that rotate as the car turns. But they wouldn't be as necessary if you could see out the ass end of the car in the first place. I used to have an old Chrysler, one of the big ones where parking them was like docking a battleship. But you could look out of the greenhouse-like upper glass and see exactly where the corners of both the front and rear fenders were.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aparantly My liberal tendencies are kicking in...

Auto braking for thee, but not for me. Razz

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
my brother and his wife drive 25,000 miles per year in their Suburu s.u.v.

he said that all of his knobs dials , lights, dingers and whistles were very confusing, but in three years , it has saved them 4 times.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54602 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I'm considering a new Subaru with this system.
I hadn't thought about the possible issue with people cutting in front of you, in heavy traffic.
I wonder if the Eyesight system will recognize that someone is being a rude asshole but not necessarily about to crash you. Having it jump on the brakes just because someone is less than a car length ahead would get annoying.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Less than 6 carlenths on the highway.

Bob

Posts: 4580 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Collision avoidance software isn't that tough. There's not that much too it and it will react faster than you. Waaaaay faster, guaranteed. The vehicle reads something in front of you that you're about to overrun and hits the brakes. How hard is the breaking? Up to the manufacturer. Tesla does a very good job. I was driving my golf buddies Tesla in thick fog and discovered there is no substitute. It will warn you of upcoming hazards (including people) from quite a distance away. Don't pay attention to the warning and it will stop the car. Sorry but radars and computers are much better than us at simple tasks that require vision.

I would even trust Tesla's self driving capabilities in low visibility. It is pretty amazing.

Posts: 7546 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Cheers, brother, and I am glad all is well.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How have I not run into anything in all these years?

Just lucky, I guess.

Posts: 1349 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rbert0005:
Going down rt 128 in Boston during the day was all I needed to make me feel this way.

If you leave more than 2 car lengths in front of you someone will cut in front of you.

Yup. That's 128 Eek

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
quote:

Bob

If someone jumps into your lane 5 car lengths in front of you the car jumps on the brakes? What system and brand of car does that?

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Some Shot:
How have I not run into anything in all these years?

Just lucky, I guess.[/QUOTE)
Agree. I kind of like to make my own decisions while driving. Worked so far. Your air conditioner malfunctioning at 150K mile is one thing, your automatic braking system malfunctioning might be something else.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
How does an audi a7 sound.

I couldn't shut it off fast enough.

Bob

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
quote:

Bob

If someone jumps into your lane 5 car lengths in front of you the car jumps on the brakes? What system and brand of car does that?

Bruce

None that I know of. If said car slows suddenly your car will be on the brakes big time. If you're barely overtaking the car in front of you it will coast until it gets to six car lengths (or whatever distance you've set for your perimeter). A lot of folks are having a hard time admitting that a chip and a peripheral device can do the job better than them. The anti collision software involved just aint that complicated nor mysterious. I'm sure pilots didn't like the first autopilots.

Posts: 7546 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
No thanks. I feel the same about the traction control system in my truck that I've bitched about here before. I do not want a computer driving my vehicle. Period.

Camper, I'm glad it worked out well for you, but you can have it.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
quote:
A really good driver in tune with his car can get maximum braking effort (or pretty darned close) out his vehicle without locking any wheels up. On a vehicle with ABS, any idiot can stand on the breaks and get maximum effort without locking wheels up.

My Triumph Rocket III Touring is the first motorcycle I've ever had that has ABS and I've always been pretty good at not locking up the wheels. However, I'm damned thankful for having a system so this "idiot can stand on the breaks and get maximum effort without locking wheels up". It saved my ass while riding the Devil's Triangle in the Smoky Mountains a couple weeks ago. As I was rounding one of those gnarly blind curves there was a deer in the middle of the road. I stood the bike up and grabbed as much brake as I could and the ABS got me to a stop with about three feet to spare before I went off the mountain. I pulled over to check my drawers and collect myself and then I continued on thankful for the addition of ABS on the Rocket.

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
I do not know about cars. But on large trucks it is called collision mitigating system. No one is going to call it collision avoidance system because of the liability involved.

Perhaps when full driverless cars come to the road.

Collision mitigating system will start to brakes when it detects an object in the path and distance is closing rapidly. On trucks it will apply up to 60 percent of total braking force available. This is usually the reserve air pressure in the system. As you swerve to avoid an object there is a YA sensor in the middle of the truck that will control braking at different wheel ends to prevent overturn or spin out in the turn. I believe automobiles are the same and high-end AWD ones will also shift wheel traction torque.

Turning the wheel at the end was your move. The system may have helped to keep it in a controllable state.

Take credit for your actions and thank God for watching over you and the wife.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
Among other annoying things it does is to chirp and blink if you change lanes without putting on the turn signal, even though there is not another car in sight .

That chirping noise when you change lanes without the turn signal on is called lane departure warning. It is to wake you up.

Large new trucks have it also. It will sound like those rumble bumps on the side of the highway when you run over them. If it is the right lane change the sound will come from the right stereo speaker left speaker if it is a left lane change.

On large trucks it does not come active until 35 MPH and faster. That is so it does not drive you wacky with all the lane diversions that you do on city streets. Like move over the lane line for a bicyclist or car door opening etc.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post