SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    American Pickers appears to violate FFL transfer law...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

American Pickers appears to violate FFL transfer law... Login/Join 
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted
I was watching a rerun of American Pickers. They talk the whole episode about being in NY while they are from IA.

They bought a Springfield 1896 Kraig rifle from a private residence. Then looked to stick it in the back of the van to hit the road.

Didn't go through FFL?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Might have a C&R or even an FFL given their job.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
If it was made in, or prior to, 1898 then nothing is needed as it is an antique.

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2273 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
^ Good point.

Serial number placed it as in use during Spanish American War.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redleg2/9:
If it was made in, or prior to, 1898 then nothing is needed as it is an antique.

Correct. Dont know if NY has any state laws on the matter, though.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
That would be a very blurry line, state wise.

In NY all transactions have to go through an FFL with a background check.

I"m SURE they had a serial number manufacture list and checked that it was made in 1897 and not 1899. Wink

Posts: 21101 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
The most likely answer is it's a TV show.

Remember, "reality TV" isn't.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Federal law requires 18 for a long gun, and a valid state ID. Out of state purchases are fine. KY complies with KY law. Additionally, private transactions are not regulated.

Posts: 17140 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
NY also still has a contiguous state law on the books, even though its no longer Federal law. Don't know that it would apply to an outbound sale though.

Posts: 21101 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Just the fact that we need to discuss this shows how stupid these laws are.

My personal feelings are if nobody involved has a felony record, then it's none of the govmt's business. It's private property.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10907 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
Just the fact that we need to discuss this shows how stupid these laws are.

My personal feelings are if nobody involved has a felony record, then it's none of the govmt's business. It's private property.

That too.

So just to reiterate, everyone, reality TV isn't, and every gun law is an infringement.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
If logic were applied to it, New York should be happy that an evil gun is leaving the state.

Posts: 27929 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
There is also the possibilty that they went through an FFL but that part was not shown.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Even in New York if an antique pre 1/1/1899 no ffl transfer required.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Nothing important on that show is real. The negotiations, the interactions, all staged.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by molachi:
There is also the possibilty that they went through an FFL but that part was not shown.

I’ll go with this. I’d kinda think they are aware of firearm laws.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
WOW! That’s some serious shit. Let’s rat them out Roll Eyes

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Do you think ANYONE involved knew what the law is? Big Grin

In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Yeah, standing around filling out 4473s isn’t exactly scintillating TV. They buy plenty of cars and stuff too, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a title change hands (I admittedly don’t watch the show regularly)

quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
quote:
Originally posted by molachi:

I’ll go with this. I’d kinda think they are aware of firearm laws.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
(taps mic)

Is this thing on?

Nothing in that show isn't staged for the cameras. It couldn't be less real.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post