SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Honda accident repair question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Honda accident repair question Login/Join 
posted
Hey guys, on my way home from work Saturday morning a lady driving too fast lost control and hit my CRV on the rear tire/rim and back corner. She apparently among other things bent the frame as the door now rubs and you can see the sheet metal is bent in at the bottom and all the gaps are off. The bumper cover is destroyed and I used duct tape to hold it on until I dropped it off at the body shop.

I also noticed that the car is now out of alignment and she destroyed the rim she hit. My question is will a good body shop be able to fix it right considering the frame has been bent and it is a unibody design?

Thanks for any responses. Yes, she got the ticket as I called out FHP and judging by the way she was acting she would have either denied the accident or blamed me if they didn't come out. She was denying it was her fault as soon as she got out of her truck.

Posts: 1158 | Location: Near Orlando, FL | Registered: September 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
In my experience, frame damage usually (though not always) results in the car being totaled by the insurance company.

Some bent frames are potentially repairable, but frame repairs often aren't economically feasible, especially on older/less valuable cars. Unibody complicates it further.

And a car with a repaired frame may never be back to 100%.

Even if it's safely repaired, a history of frame damage/repair represents a significant hit to the car's value, as that's an automatic no-go for most car buyers.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I'm sure she has insurance that will fix or give you money for the car. (sarcasm) I hope you have un/underinsured motorist coverage. With all that damage I'll bet the car can't be fixed, at least not safely.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Probably best to just wait and see what the body shop says, the door rubbing and gaps being off doesn't necessarily add up to frame damage.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
my XJ got crunched bad from the rear and they fixed it right up (it is unibody).

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I believe a CRV is a unibody vehicle. I had a Civic that got damaged about like you describe and it was repaired. It never was right after that, it would shimmy shake at certain speeds. Unfortunately the speed was around 55-60mph, which was kind of a drag. Sold it and bought a used Bulgemobile made out of heavy steel with a frame under it.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
I too believe it is a unibody versus frame design.

Just make sure you point out all your concerns to the body shop and also to your insurance carrier.

Posts: 3718 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Nothing to believe, Honda has never imported into the US or built in the US anything but unibody vehicles. The Passport was built by Izuzu.

Not enough information has been given to make a guess on whether or not it's totalled. It cost $23,000 to replace the frame on my F350 plus $2,500 for a rental while it was being fixed. It was only 5 months old and had 6,500 miles on it. Unfortunately, the guy that hit me only $25,000 in insurance, so I didn't go after him for diminished value.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post