SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help me build a MAC computer
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Help me build a MAC computer Login/Join 
posted
So I don't jump into nhtagmamber's thread please suggest what I need for a MAC system. I've built several MS PC platforms since DOS 4.0 but I'm FTFU with the MS bullshit. The MAC command line will take some adjustment but I'll manage.

Mainly,
Motherboard?
Processor and fan?
RAM, see motherboard?
Graphics card?
HD,what interface?
Anything else I'm not considering...
Thanks

Posts: 693 | Location: West of the Pecos | Registered: July 29, 2012Report This Post
Resident Knuckledragger
Picture of IndyRob
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7358 | Location: Greater Indianapolis Area | Registered: October 14, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Google 'hackintosh' to use off-the-shelf components (specific ones) with OSX.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Report This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
You really can't build a Mac like you can a PC, they are proprietary systems.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Report This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
I'll be glad to help you. I've built 3 hackintoshes and have 2 of them running at home. Contact me by email.

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 985 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

Explain please, details appreciated.

Posts: 693 | Location: West of the Pecos | Registered: July 29, 2012Report This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alpine79830:
quote:

It's been my experience and understanding that you can't just buy a motherboard, processor, RAM, etc and put it together like a PC. You typically have to buy a complete system built by Apple.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Report This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Sure you can. I suggest starting here:

Tonymacx86

It's not always straightforward and requires some tinkering and computer skills, but it can be done.

Both of mine run flawlessly and blow away an iMac (and in most respects a Mac Pro) for half the cost or less. Plus, you get to customize it exactly like you want it.

It's a fun and rewarding project.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wxdave:
quote:
quote:

Sure you can. I suggest starting here:

Tonymacx86

It's not always straightforward and requires some tinkering and computer skills, but it can be done.

Both of mine run flawlessly and blow away an iMac (and in most respects a Mac Pro) for half the cost or less. Plus, you get to customize it exactly like you want it.

It's a fun and rewarding project.

Thanks! I have a few skills mad can tinker.

posted Hide Post
Macs use less other vendors parts but Macs are high quality. Its really the operating system that defines them. Buy a Mac and there is the one operating system. The seven year old kids use it as well s engineers and scientists.
During Job's period of not being with Apple there was several clones made with different internals but ran the Apple OS__ and a couple were faster.
I'm sure you will be able to build a computer that will run Apple's OS. Its been done before.

Posts: 395 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona | Registered: May 01, 2015Report This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind that building a Hackintosh violates Apple's EULA for Mac OS, and is considered piracy by them. Apple will attempt to break your system with updates, but it doesn't take long to get the latest version of Mac OS up and running.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Report This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
MacOS is an all-you-can-eat buffet with the food kept perpetually "updated" and fresh. It's intended for the Mac Resort guests that paid for their stay.

Sneaking in the side door with a look-alike plate and helping yourself is wrong.

No?...

Posts: 11355 | Registered: August 02, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
From what I read and I do not know if it is just "Hearsay", but YES Hackintoshs are against their EULA, however APPLE seems to look the other way as they know that a high percentage of people that build or experience Hackintoshs will eventually purchase a real Apple computer. Again just from what I read somewhere. Years ago, I was heavily into the Hachintosh scene and just ended up purchasing a refurbished MacBook Pro and iMac 27. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3053 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Report This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
The morality of building a hackintosh or CustoMac is something people need to decide for themselves. EULA or what not. I have a house full of apple gear, from watches to iPads, phones to MacBooks. They don't go after people that put MacOS on alternative hardware or make it especially difficult to do so. My offer stands to help anyone on the forum who wants to do it. It's a blast to play with.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Sure you can.

Hackintosh boxes are popular in the music production world.

Stable and effective, once it's up and running, though they are known to be a PITA if and when you need to do an OS update. But they definitely work, and have for years (since Apple switched to Intel architecture). I know a couple of folks who are a few years deep into them, and intentionally don't update the OS as a stable version x.x is exactly what they want for Pro Tools or otherwise.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Wow, I am way behind the times then. Back from about 1999-2009 when I was building PC's right and left for friends and family, the idea of building a Mac like you would a PC was just not possible. It looks like all that changed when they went to Intel processors.

I stand corrected!

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
^ 2006 was the transition.

quote:
The first generation Intel-based Macintoshes were released in January 2006 with Mac OS X 10.4.4 Tiger, and Steve Jobs announced the last models to switch in August 2006, with the Mac Pro available immediately and with the Intel Xserve available by October 2006.[4] The Xserve servers were available in December 2006.[5]

posted Hide Post
Just a note:

MAC = media access control

Mac = Macintosh

Wink

And yes, technically a hackintosh violates the EULA, but Apple generally looks the other way. I have many friends running hackintoshes that wouldn't have bought an Apple computer; Apple knows they buy software through the App Store, music/tv/movies/apps through the iTunes store...etc.

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Report This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
I have a dual boot Mac/pc built from a dell. You just need all the same parts Apple used.

If you are interested in an older gen Mac mini I have one I'm not using.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Apple went to intel processors in 2005/2006.

Now they are nothing more than Intel boxes running UNIX/Linux machines with a proprietary interface.

The tricky part is unlike windows PC the operating system only comes with driver support for the the limited number of parts that apple sells.

The hackintosh trick is to put it together parts that are supported by the OS. Or be able to write your own drivers (or have friends that will).

As for the the EULA, historically, roll your own, apple ignores you.

Put them together and sell them, expect apple to come knocking at your door with lawyers.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Report This Post