SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    new car purchase pain in butt.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

new car purchase pain in butt. Login/Join 
posted
I haven't purchased a new car in years. Usually buy used. My wife fell in love with a rent vehicle. Chevy Colorado.

In the past, I used to go to CR or Edmunds websites and get their report showing dealer invoice and MSRP. (Yes, I know inv is not what they actuually pay due to discounts etc.).

The reports were arranged showing the cost of car along with an itemized listing of all options and their pricing. It was a handy tool. Sometimes, I would simply use the form as a basis for creating a written bid form. I would put a blank for the price so the dealer could fill out the form and return it. Yes, many of them would not do it because they wanted to play the dealership game. By having the invoice amounts, I knew which dealers were way too high and which dealers were willing to discount. It was a starting point.

No, I didn't actually know their real dealer cost but I had a milestone to work with.

I started my research. Found out Consumer Report went to the dark side along with Edmunds. They no longer provide the dealer invoice price list.

I'm fully aware of the factors that affect price, having been a fleet purchasing agent for private industry and government. My dad was in the car business so we had many discussions about how it operated.

I'm just pissed that I cannot get this info in the easy to use printed format that was once available. CR is completely useless. In the past I considered it a helpful tool. Their reviews are helpful but one must interpret what they really mean when evaluation a vehicle.

Does anyone know where I can get a report for a vehicle showing the published dealer cost and the MSRP?

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
All the time
Picture of Gear.Up
posted Hide Post
Fighting Chance

Someone else here recommended that and I used it for my last purchase. The information is great and you get a somewhat localized report for your region.

Posts: 2320 | Location: East TN | Registered: July 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
I bought a new 2018 Toyota Highlander for Mrs 12GA today. Did my research and still felt like I took it up the poop hole. YMMV.

Posts: 2583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
The Dealer I worked for would gladly show you the actual invoice if you ask.. there is a Low margin on New stuff. You can mostly just check the ads, this time of year it is usually way under invoice due to incentives.
Go to Carmax. or Carvona shop a little and then you will know

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
It's a Chevy. You should be able to walk into most dealers, tell them you will give them $100 over invoice minus any customer incentives and walk out within a couple of hours with the vehicle. Ask to see the invoice to confirm.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm totally lost why you need some kind of (mostly false) cost information.
My buying strategy is to configure the vehicle you want and then send the configuration to dealers. As many as you can stand. It helps to visit in person for a more serious look but every dealer now has an internet sales dept., but ok on that. Once you have 3-5 offers on the same vehicle that's pretty much enough to guide what a good price is. If you are buying off the lot versus ordering then its a bit tougher but in that case you have to pick a vehicle that works for you from several dealers and get a quote. The MSRP to price ratio will give you a meaningful quide to valuing stuff on one car versus another.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
My buying strategy is to configure the vehicle you want and then send the configuration to dealers. As many as you can stand. It helps to visit in person for a more serious look but every dealer now has an internet sales dept., but ok on that. Once you have 3-5 offers on the same vehicle that's pretty much enough to guide what a good price is. If you are buying off the lot versus ordering then its a bit tougher but in that case you have to pick a vehicle that works for you from several dealers and get a quote. The MSRP to price ratio will give you a meaningful quide to valuing stuff on one car versus another.

This is how I do it also. No need to know invoice price going this route.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doing it my way I get an itemized quote back. Suppose the base price is discounted at or below the dealer invoice but the options are full msrp or above? That's info I'd like to know. I may be satisfied with the base price but there may be room for negotiation on the options.

No dealer is going to take a loss and I don't expect them to. I do want to have as much information as possible.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
In this age of social media it is amazing to me that there is not some type of buyer-oriented "what did you actually pay?" information conglomeration site. Of course, everybody lies/brags, but with enough samples it should be possible to converge on reality. Smells like an investment opportunity to me, the dealers/manufacturers will probably end up paying you to go away. Who wants to come up with a Shark Tank pitch?

Posts: 6469 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Essentially, that's what I do. I list the base car and the options I want and sent them to multiple dealers. having the invoice is additional intelligence I might be able to use for negotiations.

Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
I just bought a new Tundra. Called all the surrounding dealers with what I wanted. Their prices were all within $500 of one another. There were only a handful of white trucks in the trim I wanted in Texas. One dealer got me a truck after deposit and sent me pics of a truck with a painted on pinstripe. I said hell no. He offered to have the bodyshop strip it off with solvent, shoot another coat of clearcoat.... Lmao, I told him that I'm not looking to have the factory finish trashed before its even in my hands. If I took him up on the offer he would knock off $400 lol.

Ended up driving to Houston for exactly what I wanted plus some. The msrp was $1300 more than the truck I was looking at initially and he sold it for $400 less than the other dealer.

I think I made out alright based on the dealers I got pricing from. Still ridiculous what these trucks go for.

The finance depart sucked as always with the high pressure warranty sales and gap insurance scheme.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would always list blank lines on the quote form to add "other" charges that are may not be apparent until the final conclusion at the dealer. They may try to add in fabric protection window etching or other various charges. I always tried to make it plain that all charges should be shown and compute to a bottom line figure. Any deviation or additions later become apparent.

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
12GA, Sorry that is how it worked out. But we tried to help you.

This is what the dealers bank on. A customer that has to have the vehicle and will virtually pay what ever they want for it. I would have walked away. Especially if you are like most folks who have to finance the purchase. Yes, it does leave a
lasting bad taste in your mouth.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19185 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shiftyvtech, I also looked at a Tacoma. I'm aware of their good reputation. They don"t seem to have much room for discounting. Nice truck but I don't need for work. We're retired and don't put many miles on a truck. Was impressed by the Chevy/GMC but surprised they have the balls to ask as much for their Colorado/Canyon as the Tacoma given that the Chevy maint record is not on par with the
toyota. I'm still early in the process and hope Chevy is willing to come down.

Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
I just realized you're in Texas. I don't have much knowledge of the Chevy, but if you still have any interest in
a Tacoma, give Fred Haas Toyota a shot (over the phone). What part of the hill country? I'm in Marble Falls area and drove to Haas Toyota Country near Spring, TX for my Tundra. I will mention, during my research I came across at least one negative comment about the new Tacoma engine Toyota is using.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
My brother is getting a Colorado as a company vehicle. I told him to get the diesel if it is an option.
I am not much of a fan of the current Toyota Tacoma. But think the Chevy equivalent would be quite a bit cheaper.

I do not know what Chevy is producing currently in a V6 but the 4.3's I have have been outstanding. Albeit 20 years old.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19185 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating, sleeping and boinking. Everything else is just Filler.
Picture of terma-nator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gear.Up:
Fighting Chance

Someone else here recommended that and I used it for my last purchase. The information is great and you get a somewhat localized report for your region.

After using this, the "winning" dealer asked me if I was a car salesman. I told him no, but he didn't believe me. He looked like most buyers look like after 4 hours of negotiating. I felt sooooo good!

I love it here!

My Gun collection:
Too many to list. Lets just say that the zombies should look elsewhere.

Posts: 1671 | Location: Back in the good 'ol U.S.A. (South Fla) | Registered: April 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I don't think it's really possible to find out what a dealer will end up paying for a car because they might not even know themselves.

How could they not know? Because they need to sell a certain number of units for the month/quarter to receive a hold back. They can't project how many they will sell because there are factors beyond their control. Maybe a buyer can't get financing, maybe a different dealer is offering something else, etc.

We just bought a 2018 Highlander XLE and I felt we did pretty good. I e-mailed various dealers, shopped around and felt the time/effort dealing with the local guys was the best combination so we went with their deal.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I'm going to send written bid requests out. I'm in Wimberley Tx. I'm not a chevy fan but impressed with the Colorado we rented. Kinda cheap on interior. V6 was plenty strong. Toyota is rugged, but we will use as a mulch and grocery hauler. No more than 6000 miles per yr. Toy seemed a little less refined ride wise. More of an off road oriented suspension design I suspect.

I've read of some transmission issues on the Colorado. Hope that's corrected.

posted Hide Post
Architect, several sites claimed to have info on what the average cust actually paid according to zip code.