SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Simple Way to Improve Your Thanksgiving Turkey
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Simple Way to Improve Your Thanksgiving Turkey Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rsbolo:
Totally agree.

For turkey a close second would be brine.
The brine thread inspired me to start this thread.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23194 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Just smoked my first turkey last weekend on my Pit Barrel Cooker. It is the best turkey I have ever had, wow so good. I smoked mine for about 3.5 hours at 170 degrees. Average cooker temp was 225. The breast hit 160 in about 3 hours. This was a 10lb test run for ThanksgivingSmile Probably going to do 2 13lbers on turkey day.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1730 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Xantom, that is a nice lookin' bird from your UDS

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23194 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Thanks tatertodd, those thighs pretty much fell right off. Can't wait to do a couple more.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: xantom,

Posts: 1730 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xantom:
Just smoked my first turkey last weekend on my Pit Barrel Cooker. It is the best turkey I have ever had, wow so good. I smoked mine for about 3.5 hours at 170 degrees. Average cooker temp was 225. The breast hit 160 in about 3 hours. This was a 10lb test run for ThanksgivingSmile Probably going to do 2 13lbers on turkey day.

I'm very interested in this. they don't run a thermometer, did you have one inside to get the internal cooker temp? Their website says it typically runs between 275 and 310.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12932 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
There is no thermometer on the PBC. I installed my own thermometer and damper/smoke stack on the lid.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...ages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...ilpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Your results may very. In my experience with the PBC, it does not stay hot enough. There is one damper at the bottom that you are supposed to set to your elevation, one time. I routinely would have to go out and crack the lid to get the heat back up. Adding the damper has helped a lot. If I crack it open it will get up to 275 sometimes hotter.

One thing to note as you can see in the image above, I keep my PBC on 3 bricks in landscaping rocks. The day I did the Turkey I had the PBC sitting on my concrete patio, it seemed to stay hotter without using the damper. I have our outdoor stuff there now for the winter. I plan to use it on the patio this winter and see what difference that makes.

The hottest temps I got with the lid on were around 175. Again that is my experience. I checked many forums and few others seemed to have the same situation, many more have it the other way where it gets too hot. Hope that helps. I love my PBC, it is hands down the best cooker/grill I have owned. It is worth every bit of $300 IMO, even with the mods I put on mine.

Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
IMO, the single biggest improvement you can make to any meat (turkey included) is to cook to temperature instead of time.

Exactly. Any meat, cooked by any method.

Uggg, I try beating this into my wife's head with no luck. And she knows the temps. She has worked in the kitchen at a 120 bed Nursing Home for 30 years after all!!!! Not a cook but prep / server etc.

Just the other day... chicken breast in the oven...
I see my wife using the therm-o-pen on them. Yea!!!!
Then she shuts the oven door and walks away, leaving them to bake more. I ask what were they? She says 195. Eek Roll Eyes Red Face Mad

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4125 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They ain't ready till they're crunchy...

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
She says 195. Eek Roll Eyes Red Face Mad
Chicken briquettes aren't my thing either

SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:

We'll be over for dinner!!

Posts: 2932 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
IMO, the single biggest improvement you can make to any meat (turkey included) is to cook to temperature instead of time.

Exactly. Any meat, cooked by any method.

Uggg, I try beating this into my wife's head with no luck. And she knows the temps. She has worked in the kitchen at a 120 bed Nursing Home for 30 years after all!!!! Not a cook but prep / server etc.

Just the other day... chicken breast in the oven...
I see my wife using the therm-o-pen on them. Yea!!!!
Then she shuts the oven door and walks away, leaving them to bake more. I ask what were they? She says 195. Eek Roll Eyes Red Face Mad

Did you ear pizza hut or domino's for dinner that night?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20803 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Then she shuts the oven door and walks away, leaving them to bake more. I ask what were they? She says 195.

Lol, I know your pain sir. My gf is notorious for over cooking or more commonly burning food. We are going on 6 years together and she has finally started to turn the heat down when she cooksSmile

Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Then she shuts the oven door and walks away, leaving them to bake more. I ask what were they? She says 195.

Lol, I know your pain sir. My gf is notorious for over cooking or more commonly burning food. We are going on 6 years together and she has finally started to turn the heat down when she cooksSmile

I ask her to leave the jerky making to me and the smoker...

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4125 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Agreed. Temperature - take it out around 160F and let it rest for 20 to 30 minutes. It will come up another 5 to 10 degrees and stay moist.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53120 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OMG yall need to try fried turkey, you will never eat a baked turkey again!!!

Posts: 632 | Location: Cajun Country, Sportsman Paradise  | Registered: March 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

My mom's cooking is so bad and she overcooks food so much that the carcinogens from her food eventually killed both of her ex husbands!

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about Sous Vide? I think I'm going to try one on the Turkey this year.........dj

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
How about Sous Vide? I think I'm going to try one on the Turkey this year.........dj

I would think Turkey would be too blubbery, fatty, gooey skin if cooked in that method. When smoked (at low heat 225F) it comes out very greasy, blubbery skin etc. and I don't like the texture one bit.... But try it and let us know how it turns out.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is no thermometer on the PBC. I installed my own thermometer and damper/smoke stack on the lid.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...ages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...ilpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Your results may very. In my experience with the PBC, it does not stay hot enough. There is one damper at the bottom that you are supposed to set to your elevation, one time. I routinely would have to go out and crack the lid to get the heat back up. Adding the damper has helped a lot. If I crack it open it will get up to 275 sometimes hotter.

One thing to note as you can see in the image above, I keep my PBC on 3 bricks in landscaping rocks. The day I did the Turkey I had the PBC sitting on my concrete patio, it seemed to stay hotter without using the damper. I have our outdoor stuff there now for the winter. I plan to use it on the patio this winter and see what difference that makes.

The hottest temps I got with the lid on were around 175. Again that is my experience. I checked many forums and few others seemed to have the same situation, many more have it the other way where it gets too hot. Hope that helps. I love my PBC, it is hands down the best cooker/grill I have owned. It is worth every bit of $300 IMO, even with the mods I put on mine.

Thank you. I ordered the PBC and should have it by Monday. I just ordered the thermometer and damper vent. I'm going in cold without a practice run on Thursday :/

Now to go order a wireless thermometer.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12932 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thank you. I ordered the PBC and should have it by Monday. I just ordered the thermometer and damper vent. I'm going in cold without a practice run on Thursday :/

Now to go order a wireless thermometer.

I would wait to add the damper until you are sure you need it. You may have different results than I did.

Here are pics on my install:
https://imgur.com/a/gGgu9

Good luck!