SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Simple Way to Improve Your Thanksgiving Turkey
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Simple Way to Improve Your Thanksgiving Turkey Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted
IMO, the single biggest improvement you can make to any meat (turkey included) is to cook to temperature instead of time.

The reason for the post is that there is still time to purchase an accurate leave in Thermometer on-line and have it in time for Thanksgiving. The Tuesday or Wednesday before every Thanksgiving the past 11 years there have been posts on people wanting a thermometer but it's too late to get a reliable and accurate one. Don't be that guy/gal this year.

The pop-up thermometer that comes with turkey should be thrown away for two reasons:
  • it's inaccurate
  • it's unreliable
  • if it pops, it is supposed to pop-up at 185F but the both the USDA safe cooking temperature and recommended cooking temperature for turkey is 165F. The result is you waited an extra hour for dry turkey.

Here are a few digital leave in thermometers that are Gold Medal rated at Amazingribs.com and fellow Sigforumites have recommended in past threads (Priced low to high):
  • $39 ThermoWorks DOT TX-1200
  • $59 ThermoWorks ChefAlarm (TX-1100-XX)
  • $69.99 Maverick ET-733. This has a wireless receiver you can carry around with you, and is the one I own.
  • $99 ThermoWorks Smoke. This has a wireless receiver you can carry around with you, and if I were buying one today this is the model I'd buy.

Once the temperature alarm goes off on your leave in thermometer, it's prudent to spot check temperature on both breasts (goal is 165F) and a few places with dark meat (goal is 170F). You'll want a fast, handheld, digital thermometer for this. Here are a few that are Gold Medal rated at Amazingribs.com and fellow Sigforumites have recommended in past threads (Priced low to high):
  • $29 ThermoWorks ThermoPop (TX-3100-XX). 3 to 4 seconds speed and ±2.0°F accuracy.
  • $79 ThermoWorks ThermaPen Classic. This is the one I own. 2 to 3 seconds speed and ±0.7°F accuracy.
  • $99 ThermoWorks Thermapen Mk 4. 2 to 3 seconds speed and ±0.7°F accuracy.

This $70 to $198 two thermometer set-up has many more uses than just Thanksgiving. I used mine at least twice a week for the last several years on steaks, chicken breast, pork chops, pork roasts, beef roasts, and turkey.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Good enough is neither
    good, nor enough
    posted Hide Post
    Agreed. We use thermoworks chef alarm. Always turn out moist and delicious.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Flying Sergeant
    posted Hide Post
    Thanks for the reminder, this is something I can definitely use.

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Fighting the good fight
    Picture of RogueJSK
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:
    IMO, the single biggest improvement you can make to any meat (turkey included) is to cook to temperature instead of time.

Exactly. Any meat, cooked by any method.

I use thermometers religiously, especially when grilling and smoking, and people rave about the food. It's really no big secret... Most folks just overcook their meat because they're not using a thermometer.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Truth Seeker
    Picture of StorminNormin
    posted Hide Post
    Great post.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Spot on. I have a Thermoworks ChefAlarm, Maverick ET733, and Thermopop. Some of the best (if not THE best) cooking dollars I've ever spent!

Also, you can place bags of crushed ice on the breasts for awhile before the bird goes in the oven/roaster/smoker. That way, you can push the temp up a little on the thighs and drums without killing the breast meat, which should finish at a lower temp than the dark meat.

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Oh stewardess,
    I speak jive.
    Picture of 46and2
    posted Hide Post
    I thought you were going to say "fry it".

Smile

(I agree re thermometers)

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    A day late, and
    a dollar short
    Picture of Warhorse
    posted Hide Post
    I bought the Thermoworks Thermapen MK 4 awhile ago, mainly for steaks on the grill, my wife has laid claim to it now and uses it all the time, plus on the grill.

Great product!

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Good information. I use the Maverick and the Thermopen.
    May seem expensive but the set up lets you get meals perfect. No more overdone steaks for example.

Posts: 1960 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Dirty Boat Guy
    Picture of parallel
    posted Hide Post
    Yep... I have a thermapen and a thermopop and I love them both.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: parallel,

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    No double standards
    posted Hide Post
    We have always used a meat thermometer on Thanksgiving turkey. But we found the thermometer works better on Thanksgiving prime rib. Smile

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
    - Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Expert308
    posted Hide Post
    I don't worry about it, I just go to my sister's place for Thanksgiving. We don't always have turkey, sometimes it's ham or even prime rib. But my BIL is a wizard with his Traeger and it always turns out great.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Legalize the Constitution
    Picture of TMats
    posted Hide Post
    Took your advice, Todd, and just bought the Thermoworks Smoke. Makes a lot of sense to quit guessing about degree of doneness (assuming that’s a word), and oven temp for that matter. Appreciate the heads-up
    T

Posts: 13237 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by TMats:
    Took your advice, Todd, and just bought the Thermoworks Smoke. Makes a lot of sense to quit guessing about degree of doneness (assuming that’s a word), and oven temp for that matter. Appreciate the heads-up
    T
    I'm green with envy. May it bring you many years of perfectly cooked meat.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    Monday bump

posted Hide Post
    Thermoworks had a blog on just this a week or so ago. In it they were recommending a pull temp of 157 deg, then during the "hold" time the temp rises to 165. There are techniques to address the dark meat temp as they need to go to 175 to be done. Don't have the link right now as I'm at work.

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Ammoholic
    Picture of Skins2881
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by TMats:
    T

Just got a smoke a couple months back, haven't used it yet. Used MK4 this weekend on a shoulder that got turned into delicious pulled pork. Had a few neighbors over, they all liked it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by JimTheo:
    Thermoworks had a blog on just this a week or so ago. In it they were recommending a pull temp of 157 deg, then during the "hold" time the temp rises to 165. There are techniques to address the dark meat temp as they need to go to 175 to be done. Don't have the link right now as I'm at work.
    All parts of the turkey are safe to eat at 165F (USDA testing to kill 9,999,999 out of a colony of 10,000,000 pathogens in 1 second), but chef recommended temp on the dark meat is a matter of opinion (some say 165, 170, or 175).

Regardless, nearly impossible to hit pull temp (temperature when you pull from oven/smoker/grill to account for temp rise as it rests prior to carving), safe temp, or chef's recommended temp unless you have both a good leave in thermometer and instant read thermometer.

chickenshit
    Picture of rsbolo
    posted Hide Post
    Totally agree.

For turkey a close second would be brine.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:
    quote:
    Originally posted by JimTheo:
    All parts of the turkey are safe to eat at 165F (USDA testing to kill 9,999,999 out of a colony of 10,000,000 pathogens in 1 second), but chef recommended temp on the dark meat is a matter of opinion (some say 165, 170, or 175).

Regardless, nearly impossible to hit pull temp (temperature when you pull from oven/smoker/grill to account for temp rise as it rests prior to carving), safe temp, or chef's recommended temp unless you have both a good leave in thermometer and instant read thermometer.

I was presuming a "leave-in" therm

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post