SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dog dies on United flight after FA forces passenger to put carrier in overhead
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dog dies on United flight after FA forces passenger to put carrier in overhead Login/Join 
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
If mine go, I drive, flying can put to much stress on them for my liking. Not to mention mistakes made by ground crews with them.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
At one operation, we transported a killer whale.

I suspect not even UAL could lose a whale. But they might surprise me.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
quote:

I suspect UAL would either have it filleted and frozen by the time it arrived, or have it dragged from the aircraft by its fluke and chucked in a freshwater river, while calling it a trouble maker and reselling its seat for twice the price. But that's only a best guess.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
United Airlines had 18 animal deaths in 2017. The combined total for all the other airlines was 6.
https://www.marketwatch.com/st...last-year-2017-04-26

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Maybe not lose it, but they would darn sure killify that sucker after cramming it into an overhead bin.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think they made a movie about that one..?

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by GregY:
Putting animals in the hold is a pretty good way to kill them.
Why do you say that?

It may not have proper pressurization and climate control. Everything I've read is that most Airlines have fully pressurized and climate controlled areas for pets, if they accept them. Most.

Temperature extremes in situations where climate control, if present, is not fully effective. Like long periods on the ground. Poor handling to and from the cargo hold. Lack of in flight care on long flights.

Animals are significantly tougher than humans, and the death rate for carefully handled pets in 'ideal' conditions in the hold is still, iirc, about 1 in 10,000. Which, compared to the death rate of humans up in the cabin, is astonishingly high.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
quote:
quote:

Maybe not lose it, but they would darn sure killify that sucker after cramming it into an overhead bin.

I can see the headline, "UAL Kills Rare Midget Whale in Overhead Bin"

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:

We were a little lower-tech (747 Classic). No transparent aluminum, either. That, and the lav barely worked.

quote:

It may not have proper pressurization and climate control. Everything I've read is that most Airlines have fully pressurized and climate controlled areas for pets, if they accept them. Most.

Temperature extremes in situations where climate control, if present, is not fully effective. Like long periods on the ground. Poor handling to and from the cargo hold. Lack of in flight care on long flights.

Animals are significantly tougher than humans, and the death rate for carefully handled pets in 'ideal' conditions in the hold is still, iirc, about 1 in 10,000. Which, compared to the death rate of humans up in the cabin, is astonishingly high.

Why would lower cargo areas have improper pressurization? They use the same bleed air and the same pressurization as the rest of the aircraft. There are some aircraft in which the lower cargo can be depressurized as a means of fire control, but that's an emergency condition, and if the lower is being depressurized, the aircraft is being depressurized. Oxygen masks are not available for pets.

Lower cargo has as good or better temperature regulation than main deck, and often a wider temperature range of control, in many cases.

Aircraft don't have "holds." Those are on boats.

10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

We were a little lower-tech (747 Classic). No transparent aluminum, either. That, and the lav barely worked.

Probably not engineered to handle whale shit.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Probably not engineered to handle whale shit.

Above our paygrade. That comes from management.

Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
And now, this;

According to KCTV, Kara Swindle and her family, who are moving from Oregon to Kansas, took a United flight to Kansas City. Their dog, a 10-year-old German shepherd named Irgo, was supposed to be waiting in a United cargo facility when they arrived.

But that wasn't the case.

When the Swindles went to pick up Irgo, they were greeted by a Great Dane instead, KCTV reported Wednesday. They soon learned that the airline had mixed up the two dogs and mistakenly flew Irgo to Japan, the Great Dane's intended destination.

In a statement, United told KCTV: "An error occurred during connections in Denver for two pets sent to the wrong destinations. We have notified our customers that their pets have arrived safely and will arrange to return the pets to them as soon as possible. We apologize for this mistake and are following up with the vendor kennel where they were kept overnight to understand what happened."

Irgo will be returned to the Swindles "later this week," KCTV reported.

Posts: 12178 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Irgo is fortunate the flight wasn't headed to Korea.

Then again, at least there, someone would wok the dog.

United. Needs spice.

Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:

Why would lower cargo areas have improper pressurization? They use the same bleed air and the same pressurization as the rest of the aircraft. There are some aircraft in which the lower cargo can be depressurized as a means of fire control, but that's an emergency condition, and if the lower is being depressurized, the aircraft is being depressurized. Oxygen masks are not available for pets.

Lower cargo has as good or better temperature regulation than main deck, and often a wider temperature range of control, in many cases.

Aircraft don't have "holds." Those are on boats.

So explain the extremely different odds of dying.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What "extremely different odds of dying?"

What are you talking about?

What odds?

Extremely different than what?