SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dog dies on United flight after FA forces passenger to put carrier in overhead
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dog dies on United flight after FA forces passenger to put carrier in overhead Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
once the dog was found dead, the flight attendant became "frazzled" and insisted she did not know there was a live animal in the carrier.

Really? Is the carrier completely covered from all sides that you didn't know? Or, that the owner didn't tell you there was an animal in there? Something smells, here.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
United Airlines is the number one pile of jerks of all major airlines, and second place isn't close. They have been like this for more than 30 years. I stopped flying them in 1986 because of their awful "screw the customer with a sneer" attitude. They deserve to go belly up.

Posts: 8602 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
UAL is really fucked up. That's why the Continental folks were really upset about their merger a few years back, because they know how fucked up UAL was. Even the UAL rank and file admitted to that.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
The PR costs far exceed the the liability. Th FA heard the dog barking and knew it was in the over-head. All the FAs knew. Deaf people are not allowed to work as FAs.

It is a cultural problem at UA.
Upper managers treat middle managers like stupid cattle.
Middle managers treat workers like stupid cattle.
Workers treat passengers like stupid cattle.
No one cares what happens to stupid cattle.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
A purebred dog is way more than $500 to replace.

Posts: 1498 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear:
A purebred dog is way more than $500 to replace.

Like I said it varies.

Posts: 6337 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
United f'cked up but who puts their dog in an overhead bin. I don't care what the FA told you to do. Get off the flight if that is the only option. Did she then not check on the dog during the flight. WTF

Yup.
4 hour flight. Rental car it is!

I agree that I would never have complied with such a stupid, ignorant order - but just for those who didn't go to the link for the story - it was a young mother traveling solo with an infant, an 8 year old girl and the dog...Not as easy to just give up an expensive flight and try to get a rental for a multi-hour drive...They may not have been able to afford to do that even if they had the time and ability to do it.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
French bulldog

Bing Images of French Bulldogs

This breed already has marginal breathing without being in a stuffy enclosed space (if that is what happened).

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:

I agree that I would never have complied with such a stupid, ignorant order - but just for those who didn't go to the link for the story - it was a young mother traveling solo with an infant, an 8 year old girl and the dog...Not as easy to just give up an expensive flight and try to get a rental for a multi-hour drive...They may not have been able to afford to do that even if they had the time and ability to do it.

Plus, if she is a newby, she probably assumed it was okay because the FA instructed her to do it.

Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I have only had Labs but I would want to strangle someone. NEVER fly with a dog you love

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stormwalker
posted Hide Post
Would this not be considered felony animal cruelty?

Posts: 544 | Location: Florida | Registered: December 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
United Airlines is the number one pile of jerks of all major airlines, and second place isn't close. They have been like this for more than 30 years. I stopped flying them in 1986 because of their awful "screw the customer with a sneer" attitude. They deserve to go belly up.

United is without a doubt the worst airline in existence. I haven't flown them in decades, preferring to pay extra rather than patronize those jackals.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stormwalker:
Would this not be considered felony animal cruelty?

Probably because there was no intention to harm.

If it had been, say, a Palm Cockatoo, they'd be in for $15,000.
Plus it's an endangered species.
Oh and it's a 2 year wait for a baby.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Otto Pilot:
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
quote:
Originally posted by Palm:
Is there something specific about the overhead bin that would cause the dog to die? It's still a pressurized compartment. Or did it have a heart attack due to fear or something?

I'd guess that while the bins aren't sealed, the dog probably had limited airflow.

As guesses go, that probably a pretty solid one. The air volume would not be great just because of all the bags, and the doors would not allow in much fresh. Add in the fact that dog was probably agitated and breathing fast and heavy and it probably suffocated.

Sad. What a complete cock-up.
Add to that that French Bulldogs have very short noses restricting their breathing.

Although this may appear harsh, its not meant to be. These 'pet accidents' by the airlines are not uncommon. As such, any dog owner worth their salt should either find a friend or relative to keep their animal, or board them, while they're out of town. If you absolutely must take the dog (i.e. like when moving), drive.

There is no excuse for this by United, but as dog owners, we need to recognize that an aircraft is no place for a dog. Period.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
United fucked up, no question.

But people need to grow a fucking spine. I would not allow some moronic drone to put my family (human or pet) in danger.

Period.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Well that is unfortunate.

quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:

There is no excuse for this by United, but as dog owners, we need to recognize that an aircraft is no place for a dog. Period.

Yes, this.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
It is a cultural problem at UA.
Upper managers treat middle managers like stupid cattle.
Middle managers treat workers like stupid cattle.
Workers treat passengers like stupid cattle.
No one cares what happens to stupid cattle.

Contrast that with the perceived culture from Southwest and how their employees seem so much happier. They seem to stay out of the news for the most part, too.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Contrast that with the perceived culture from Southwest and how their employees seem so much happier. They seem to stay out of the news for the most part, too.
Yup, that's my experience. The 3,500 sq ft hangar that I rent is owned by a senior SouthWest captain. He, along with his wife and daughter, and my wife and I, socialize together. Dinner, or grab a few beers, or go to the gun club to shoot. He really likes his job, and all the other SouthWest pilots I have met seem to be easygoing, friendly guys.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
There are a few interviews with Herb Kelleher on youtube, I highly recommend them.

His basic philosophy is that employees come before customers, because employees are your best asset. And if you treat your employees right, they will do the same for the customers.

And this shows with how much Southwest employees love their job and how they treat the customers.

Posts: 6337 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:

United is without a doubt the worst airline in existence. I haven't flown them in decades, preferring to pay extra rather than patronize those jackals.

I don't know how they've stayed in business.