SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do burner phones even exist anymore?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do burner phones even exist anymore? Login/Join 
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted
There is probably an incredibly obvious answer to this but I'm damned if I can tell by looking. For me, trying to look it up, it's just like trying to listen to DNC doublespeak.

I had the thought that if I was going to try to sell some items locally, I might use a 'burner' phone to keep things kind of insulated, not give out my phone #, etc. I see there is an app available that lets you 'hide' everything and have a separate phone # to give out (for $5 a month). I don't have a smartphone, so that's out.

I looked on Walmart's website and I see some cheap phones that say "prepaid cell phones" but none of them list anything about number of minutes or whatever. I assumed then that they sell you a chunk of minutes separately. I looked at a couple and it seems they all want to sign you up monthly.

I can honestly say that I have always hated the shell game aspect of cell phones and never wanted to try to disseminate any of the BS they come up with. Is there a simple alternative here, or did they do away with these phones you buy, take out of the package and use?

Posts: 7233 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
You can buy the phone then you buy minutes, which usually come in the form of a card. The cashier validates the card when you pay for it and gives you a receipt that has an activation code that you enter into the phone to add the minutes to your account. No contract or anything like that.

Posts: 6061 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
They sell what you're after at Dollar General, too.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Not clear from your post if you have a cell phone?

It doesn't have to be a smart phone to use Google Voice.

You sign up for a free number, sign on to it from your computer and set it to forward to your existing number.

You give people the Google Voice number and when your phone rings it displays your Google number so you know it's coming from that number. Using your computer you can block numbers, etc.

https://support.google.com/voice/answer/115061?hl=en

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
I see there is an app available that lets you 'hide' everything and have a separate phone # to give out (for $5 a month). I don't have a smartphone, so that's out.

Check out Google Voice. No fee or smart phone required, just have to have a cell phone to act as the handset for your Google Voice number to. This is how I do all my Craigslist transactions. Even has a voicemail and text feature that you can acces from your laptop/desktop.

I've had an 817 area code GV number now for about 7-8 years, works great.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Google voice sounds like a splendid alternative. Sounds perfect in fact. Sorry I was unclear, I do not have a smartphone but an 'old man phone' as it was dubbed once upon a time. I just never really needed more.

Thanks guys, for the quick help. I really wasn't looking forward to carrying/keeping up with a 2nd phone, even for a short while.

Posts: 7233 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for google voice. Works great for Craigslist. Voice number will forward to your number the caller is prompted by voice to state who they are you listen and choose to accept call or send to voice mail.

Google number also works for texting.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I just tried and I have another question. Is there some trick to getting a new google number assigned? No matter what I fill in, it just says 'not found' or something.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just tried and I have another question. Is there some trick to getting a new google number assigned? No matter what I fill in, it just says 'not found' or something.

I put in an area code and exchange and then search on that. Like 928-684. Lots are unavailable for my area, so I went to Clarksdale MS to get one (662-483).

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:

I put in an area code and exchange and then search on that. Like 928-684. Lots are unavailable for my area, so I went to Clarksdale MS to get one (662-483).

This.

Follow these steps and post back with where you get stuck if that doesn't work:
http://www.wikihow.com/Set-Up-Google-Voice

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
ooked on Walmart's website and I see some cheap phones that say "prepaid cell phones" but none of them list anything about number of minutes or whatever. I assumed then that they sell you a chunk of minutes separately. I looked at a couple and it seems they all want to sign you up monthly.

Walmart sells prepaid phones thru verizon, att, and tracphone.

Buy the phone for $20 or howmuch ever the cheapo ones are and then buy the phone card to add minutes. Minutes expire in 30, 60, or 90 days depending on the company so if you dont use them, theyre gone. It comes with a sim card and the number is assigned when you activate it.

But thats what youre looking for, i think.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:

This.

Follow these steps and post back with where you get stuck if that doesn't work:
http://www.wikihow.com/Set-Up-Google-Voice

Evidently finding GV through links from my Gmail webpage was no bueno. It seemed to only concern itself with the GV app. When I just googled google voice, I found a different screen that indicated to me that GV was already installed on my computer, and getting a number assigned was far more intuitive (at least for me it was) from there on. Thanks for the help. I have never felt so dense. Usually I have been the one helping other people with things like this.

Thanks guys!

Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Evidently finding GV through links from my Gmail webpage was no bueno. It seemed to only concern itself with the GV app. When I just googled google voice, I found a different screen that indicated to me that GV was already installed on my computer, and getting a number assigned was far more intuitive (at least for me it was) from there on. Thanks for the help. I have never felt so dense. Usually I have been the one helping other people with things like this.

Thanks guys!

No problem, it works great! My wife has used it for her 'business' ever since it was first available. Nice having a secondary number that you can block people on or shut it down completely if you want to.

- John Adams

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I googled about your query and got this. Hmmm, I may have mis-typed a letter somewhere...

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post