SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Birds that you like to watch flying?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Birds that you like to watch flying? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Agree with V-Tail, all of them! I do like to watch vultures soaring, masters of the air currents.
Last year in the pines across the pasture we watched a goshawk attempt to get a young turkey out of the group. The two parent turkeys flew across the goshawk to protect their young. Being much larger than the goshawk they prevailed! Quite the show!!!

Jim

Posts: 1344 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
Any raptor. I love to watch as they ride updrafts and thermals. Owls, a rare treat. Herons are cool.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 715 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Penguins.

... kiwi
... and pigs!

Posts: 2538 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Nighthawks (really any of the flying insect eaters). Peregrines and Prairie falcons. I said “Red-tailed hawks” a few years ago in a thread because, as I put it, “it looks to me like they enjoy flying for fun.” As I continued, I could imagine a red tail saying to his mate, “It’s a beautiful day, Marge, let’s go flying.” I was quickly corrected, probably by Mars Attacks, “They NEVER fly for fun!” Shit I know that, it just looks like they’re out there soaring because they like it Big Grin

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I too like to watch them all. Game birds included. I feed Mocking birds every day. While they will peck the apple untill it is gone, I give them grapes sliced in half by my baby Swiss Army knife. Those little birds actually swallow a half of a grape. I love seeing their white fighter plane like markings. Their wing feathers are rounded at the tip making the whole wing a radius. Little air Corvettes and they spend all their time chasing the other birds, diving at animals on the ground. Good free entertainment.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
White pelicans. Formation flying at its best.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
When we had a place on the ocean, loved watching the flights of brown pelicans, like bombers; and Ospreys hovering, then flying to their nests with a fish in their talons.

Also in Northern California, winter trips to Grey Lodge wildlife refuge yielded vistas of tens of thousands of snow geese and other waterfowl flying in at dusk. One of nature’s grand spectacles.

In Hawaii, particularly Maui, loved watching native Hawaiian birds at Hosmer Grove on Haleakala; and for seabirds shearwaters, tropicbirds, and frigate birds.

For San Diego, we have hummingbirds in our back yard, among others.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vanwall:
Barn swallows

My front porch is covered with their nests.

I get to sit in my chair and watch them zoom right past me every afternoon.

They are so beautiful and if you hold your hand out, they will count coup and brush your fingers with their wingtips.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Humming birds and peregrine falcon,

Posts: 55 | Registered: April 30, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PatAz:
Humming birds and peregrine falcons.

Posts: 55 | Registered: April 30, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Nighthawks (really any of the flying insect eaters). Peregrines and Prairie falcons. I said “Red-tailed hawks” a few years ago in a thread because, as I put it, “it looks to me like they enjoy flying for fun.” As I continued, I could imagine a red tail saying to his mate, “It’s a beautiful day, Marge, let’s go flying.” I was quickly corrected, probably by Mars Attacks, “They NEVER fly for fun!” Shit I know that, it just looks like they’re out there soaring because they like it Big Grin

Nighthawks are what immediately came to mind for me. I don't see them around my home, but up in northern Michigan where I like to fly fish I see them all of the time. While waiting for an evening hatch or spinner fall, I like to just sit on the bank of the river and watch them. Aside from being extremely beautiful in their elegant and graceful flight, they are also a great indicator of if the bugs are starting to come out of the trees.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 884 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Swallowtail Kite. Poetry in motion

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Living in the Sonoran Desert gives me a lot of new viewing opportunities. I love watching the Harris hawks hunting in our neighborhood! They work in family packs of up to five or six, cooperatively. Very cool! I also like watching the Nighthawks chasing bugs in the evening. So graceful.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Who's going to start the "Enough With The Bird Pictures" thread?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I love to watch them in slow motion.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Boobies in a bird thread?

I'm with David Lee, I like the mockingbirds in flight. Hummers, too.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoboV
posted Hide Post
Purple Martins and Barn Swallows. they're so maneuverable they're like mini F16's.

Quite a few years ago Purple Martins would gather at the south end of the Lake Pontchartrain Bridge. They would arrive just before sunset in the summer months. There were thousands of them. They would put on an aerial display for about 20 minutes before they would nest under the bridge for the night. This attracted large crowds and a viewing area was setup for the attraction. Eventually the birds stopped coming. I haven't seen them in quite some time.

Also, We have Mississippi Kites that nest here and stay for a few months before heading out. Their high speed dives are something to see. They're here now.

"Lion Heart is all heart, Smarty Jones is all out!!!"

Posts: 620 | Location: Destrehan, La. U.S. | Registered: October 22, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the contrasts. An albatross looks like it isn't working its wings at all. A duck just beats his wings to death.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Anything that soars - seagulls, eagles, crows, geese. It just looks like so much fun.

Also love to watch the crows tormenting the eagles. Looks like fighters attacking a bomber.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Add pelicans to my list. I love to watch pelicans cruising around, and diving for fish.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post