SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Birds that you like to watch flying?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Birds that you like to watch flying? Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
For me, here in San Diego, it’s seagulls – so graceful flying or soaring.

When I lived in Minnesota it was purple martins – very graceful in flight. Folks that lived near the river built huge birdhouse apartments for them – they ate LOTS of annoying bugs.

Hummingbirds are fun to watch too.

OTOH, starlings are so awkward in flight. Some idiot imported them from England.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Raptors.

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Around here in western WI where we have lots of them, bald eagles, particularly over water while I'm out kayak fishing.

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5149 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like to watch the eagles, blue herons and even the geese out my rear windows. All 3 have totally different flying styles for sure.

Posts: 3874 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Barn swallows

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
I love watching pelicans. Both when the glide along the beach and plunging into the water.

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Say's Phoebes are quite common here. They are "flycatchers" but go after any flying insect. Just watched an aerial acrobatic performance between the Phoebe and a butterfly. They can turn on a dime, again and again, and almost always get their meal.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
All of them. I love to watch any kind of bird.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Osprey - love to watch them fly and catch fish. Have been fascinated since I was a kid on Florida Bay.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
When I shred or cut hay, it always brings the local raptors out for the buffet.
Watching them “work” is pretty exciting.
Several hard “flaps” to gain altitude, then fold up and dive at their prey. I’ve even had them drift alongside the tractor then peel off to snatch a grasshopper in mid air.
Awesome show.

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingScot:
Osprey - love to watch them fly and catch fish. Have been fascinated since I was a kid on Florida Bay.

I agree with you about Osprey's. I watched these guys for a few months. This is a pic of them working on their nest.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Buzzards. Watching them ride the wind and staying afloat, seemingly forever, is enough to forgive their homely appearance.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Buzzard lover here also. How they glide on the currents has always intrigued me. I guess they’re looking for carrion, road kill and any kind of dead critter. They must have a six feet wing span.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
All of them. I love to watch any kind of bird.

This.

I love watching any kind of bird of prey or water birds hunting. Watching them skim across the water or dive is awesome.

So many birds around my house this year including some small black ones I've never seen. Only highlight of this whole situation is watching the birds.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
We've got what I think are Hawks across the street in an undeveloped wetland area.

I don't think I've ever seen then flap their wings - they just glide around.

I don't know enough about birds to really know if they are hawks, or eagles, or some falcon perhaps. Even if I did, they are usually too high up for me discern any features.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Penguins.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Hummers and woodpeckers- esp Pileated.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
We are fortunate to have many bird species in Florida. My favorite to watch is the swallow tail kite. But they are only around for a short time in the spring. Year-round, definitely the osprey.

I just learned there are flying penguins up in the panhandle!

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
sat on a bench in Hollywood Cemetery and watched a pair of Osprey's fish in the James one afternoon,

amazing to see,

have seen several hawks glide thru the woods and pic off Squirrels
from tree branches, and they never seem to hit so much as a leaf,

for awkward, I have seen a few turkeys attempt to glide thru some pines to roost, they are like a flying bulldozer, breaking branches all the way in,

favorites are to watch a few fly catchers circle low over a field of grass or weeds in the morning or evening picking off flying insects,

or not bird related, watching bats circle the house and yard eating at dusk,

also not bird related, dragonflys on the hunt can be interesting to watch as well

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post