SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Has anyone used rubber mulch?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anyone used rubber mulch? Login/Join 
Picture of holdem
posted
I have a fairly nicely landscaped yard. Between the trees, and bushes, and plants, and flowers, I use 50-70 bags of mulch per year. I have never paid much attention to rubber much since it has always been over $10 per bag. But I just saw some at Costco for $6.99, which is only twice the cost of the nuggets I normally buy.

Since rubber mulch will not breakdown, or degrade, in theory I would not have to mulch again and would save money in the longterm. But I have no idea if there are drawbacks to rubber mulch.

Has anyone used it? Do you like it?

Posts: 2280 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Don't let your dogs or livestock eat it.

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Never liked the idea.
Prefer Cypress Much here.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I had a shady spot inside the dog fence that was a mud hole. I used the rubber mulch and was well satisfied. Good use for old tires.

Posts: 4683 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Only place I've used it is as the fill in a DIY airgun pellet trap.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never again. It floats away and is ineffective compared to other means.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ukhayes
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
If there are potential water issues, it can float/wash away.

Posts: 496 | Location: White House,TN | Registered: May 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it is cut up tires, than the steal belts will give you problems.

Posts: 474 | Location: Minnesota  | Registered: June 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
My wife is using it in the yard for the first time. We have a friend, landscape handyman, that helps and he was very impressed with it. It's not in places where it will float away, looks great for now. No steel in it, just chunky rubber, 12 year color guarantee.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Yes I have...for one it stinks (as in smells bad...for a long time)...for two it washes away easily...for three it sticks to your bare feet like glue (yeah, I walk around it without shoes)...I opted for river rock (which I load myself into plastic tubs with a shovel, from a local trucking outfit that sells to the public)...much cheaper in the short run and long run...this is just over 2 tons and $125 loaded myself (good excersize for a 65 year old)...it will last as long as the earth lasts and trust me, it won't wash away Wink Big Grin...I will rake up the rubber stuff I have left and put it around the rose bushes in the pic. I've got another tub or two left to pick up to finish the job...but when it's done, it's done Big Grin

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Yes for many years. It does not fade like wood mulch.
Every couple years I will add a couple new bags and fluff it up to make it fill in better. It does settle.
I have not had any float away and I can blow leaves out of my flower beds with out loosing much if any.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2553 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post