SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you keep ammo for calibers you no longer own?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you keep ammo for calibers you no longer own? Login/Join 
posted
I recently sold my one and only S&W .38 revolver and have about 300 rounds of ammo leftover. I cannot see myself ever owning a .38 again for any reason. Do you hold on to the ammo, just in case? I was debating selling it or trading it for another caliber. With the ammo shortage going on its tough to decide.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
If it's honestly something you never think you will own again, I would sell / trade without hesitation.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I found a box of 9x18 laying around, so I feel like I need to buy a Makarov.

Posts: 3492 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
For guns I no longer own.

I have ammo in calibers for guns I no longer own, but ISN'T left over from when I owned one.

Ammo for calibers I have never owned and in all likelihood will never own.

But who knows, in the early 2000's I shot up a box of ammo my father accidentally bought in the early 1960's.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is my favorite thing to see on armslist. Usually means it's a pretty decent deal. I buy a lot of .41mag, .32acp and 357sig from people looking to offload after not having anything in that caliber anymore.

Put it up for sale. Put some coin in your pocket and make someone's day.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
shtf .38spl is about as common as they come.I'd keep it. Never know when a decent $2-300 mod 10 truck gun will come along. Unless you need money/space I'd keep it for insurance.

Posts: 4683 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
I sold my last .38/.357 revolver, and got rid of the ammo I had for it. Yea, I found out how freakin’ expensive it is to ship ammo. Lost my shirt on it.

So what did I do over the last year? Bought a Marlin 1894 in .357 and a Smith & Wesson 686. Had to buy .38 and .357 ammo all over again!

So maybe hang on to the ammo you have?

But if you do sell or trade it, don’t agree to ship it!!

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
300 rounds would be 6 boxes of 50. That wouldn't take up a lot of space. I'd keep it.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10696 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Half doz boxes of .38sp? I'd keep it, just on the off chance it might have barter value if things go even worse then they already have.

Maybe watch The Road if you haven't seen it. (That movie would convince you to stock up on .38 even if you didn't own a revolver in that caliber.)

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sold all my revolvers and listed all my ammo for sale on this forum basically saying I’m not shipping it and gave my basic location. It sold right away.

Posts: 3875 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
.38s are common enough to keep in case you go shooting with your buddies later and they have one.

I did trade off a box of 9mm Steyr-Haan for a box of 9mm Steyr, so I can understand where you are coming from.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you've got the space and it's not costing you anything I'd hang on to it. You could use it as fodder for future trades, or you might wind up with another .38. I consolidated to 9mm and 5.56mm a couple years ago, but recently found myself with a .45 and .38 in inventory.

Posts: 4548 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I think the only ammo that falls into this category is some 32 H&R Magnum that I still have. I sold off both revolvers and I probably won’t ever again acquire another 32. I stupidly sold a really nice Beretta 28ga o/u that I regretted almost immediately. Few years later, I came across a case of 28ga shells and the wheels were put in motion to acquire a 28ga Beretta this time in semi auto. A perfect gun for quail hunting.

Posts: 2932 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
In for the Karma.... Wink

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3458 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
LOL! What a timely post.

Was just down in the loading room trying to make room in the ammo/components closet.

I started by putting odd ball ammo into a fat fifty can which can go in the tool room in the garage. I stuck into the can; a 10 rd box of .50 BMG, two five rd boxes of .404 Jefferey, several boxes of .280 Rem factory and reloads, .25 acp, .32 acp and a mess of .380 ammo. a box each of .38-40 Win and .44-40 Win, a few old WW white boxes of .38 Super and some .22 Hornet ammo.

One never knows when you may need some fifty BMG or .404 Jefferey!

If I see most any ammo truly CHEAP at a garage sale or gun show I usually buy it. Seems someone usually has that caliber and can use it.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Sorta. I sold a bunch of guns to finance the Cabota and haven't replaced them all yet. Probably won't replace a couple which leaves me with:

2 or 3 boxes of .17HMR. This is factory stuff, so I should probably sell it or give it to someone with a hummer.

Several hundred rounds of .45 Colt, but it's all reloads and I'm not comfortable selling my reloads.

I have a metric crap-ton of .38/.357/.45ACP stuff that I've reloaded over the years. I really need to get out and shoot some of that stuff up. Especially the .38.

And of course, the obligatory stash of 9mm and .223/5.56 Most of that is bulk factory stuff, waiting for the Zombie Apocalypse.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I keep ammo for things I no longer own. I may own them again some day.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2Adefender:
I sold my last .38/.357 revolver, and got rid of the ammo I had for it. Yea, I found out how freakin’ expensive it is to ship ammo. Lost my shirt on it.

So what did I do over the last year? Bought a Marlin 1894 in .357 and a Smith & Wesson 686. Had to buy .38 and .357 ammo all over again!

So maybe hang on to the ammo you have?

But if you do sell or trade it, don’t agree to ship it!!

This^^^
You don't think you'll ever need 38 special again until you shoot a 357 lever gun.

Posts: 2750 | Registered: March 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If i can see myself buying another gun in that caliber, I do. If it's a caliber that I am done with, then i just give it to someone that can use it.

Posts: 2222 | Location: Lawrenceburg, In | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I have some 45/70 and 22-250 I no longer have a rifle for. You never know what the future might bring.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post