SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you keep ammo for calibers you no longer own?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you keep ammo for calibers you no longer own? Login/Join 
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
I keep ammo for calibers/Guns I no longer own for the occasional range day with friends who still have Those calibers/Guns.

I get to shoot something fun once in a while and I’m not inconveniencing or cutting into a friends possibly limited stock. Since most of my friends gun guys it’s pretty common On range trips to end up shooting something I no longer own (or never owned).

Posts: 1604 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would keep it. To my wife’s dismay I tend to keep things. I’m not a hoarder but I never but anything thinking about ever selling it. Yes I have ammo with no gun to fire it.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Sure, I'd sell it. Before Teh Commie Crud hit, I might have given the advice to take it to a gun show.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
Only caliber ammo that I have without a firearm for is .22wrf. Rifle I had was stolen in 1982 and have not found a reasonable priced replacement.
Other then that I have never sold any of my guns so I don't have the problem you speak off.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4133 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and every one of them words rang true and glowed like burnin’ coal.
Picture of TannerBoyl
posted Hide Post
I keep them in case I go shooting with a buddy who shoots those calibers...or I just give them the ammo.

Posts: 4594 | Location: Redondo Beach, California | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
When my FIL passed he had ammo in several misc calibers that he didn’t own guns for... and now I have it.

23 rounds of 44 Special?
17 rounds of 45 Colt?
56 rounds of 25 ACP?

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Yes. Always.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Guilty.

I think I even have some ammo for calibers of firearm I have never owned.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Hell, I've got reloading dies for a caliber I don't (and never have) owned. Mere ammo is for amateurs.

I'd keep it on the off chance you end up with another .38, or I'd sell or trade it locally for something more useful. Shipping it would be terribly expensive.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Keep it. Thus when your grandkids are cleaning out your home, they will (1) have a brief laugh during an otherwise unpleasant task and (2) have a deepened understanding of their late grandpa’s peculiar nature.

You should also keep used gift wrapping & foil as well as drained motor oil. You never know when that might come in handy.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
not so much....then again, I've got actual firearms I haven't taken to the range for ....uhmmmm, ages.....

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
ArtieS beat me to it. I have reloading tools for a caliber I no longer own. I never know when a 280 might show up again.

38 spcl? Sure I’d hold onto it. As common as sunshine.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8214 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Of course you keep it. Duh.
It's potential TRADING material...

Not to mention the more exotic it is generally the more it goes up in price.
A good example is 303 British ammo. Not too many years ago it used was available surplus at every gun show and easy to get. People took it for granted like 22LR.
Now... it's 75 cents a round.
Anything self-defense or higher end in pretty much any caliber really goes up.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still have a couple of boxes of 9x18 Makarov, traded the one I owned 25 years ago. Wasn't that easy to find back then, so I held on to the cartridges.

Posts: 3212 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I bought some .22 last year just because and it was cheap at the time. Never owned a gun in that caliber.
Does that count?

Posts: 9493 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
I'd give it to a friend that could use it - I remember how good it felt when someone gave me some goodies. I bought some 38 supers by accident and gave them to a guy at my LGS on fathers day. He loved them.

Posts: 493 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I swore to never buy another 40 caliber pistol. But I have 200 rounds of WWB hollowpoints and about the same of fmjs.

Posts: 4657 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
I have 128 rounds of 556 that I do not own a gun for. I’d be happy to trade it for a 6 pack to anyone in south Florida! Serious.

https://i.postimg.cc/NM6qrNH2/20200705-134244.jpg

Posts: 1978 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
And nothing is more appreciated when ammo is nonexistent than a friend/relative placing a box of beautiful golden freedom seeds in your hand-

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post