SIGforum
On "paging," the "white courtesy phone," and just members asking for help in general

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/1440062044

April 10, 2018, 02:29 PM
jhe888
On "paging," the "white courtesy phone," and just members asking for help in general
This happens a lot in any thread touching on legal matters. Everyone has some anecdote or story about what happened to his bother-in-law's sister's niece's case. Occasionally, they are helpful. A lot of the time they are harmless, but not relevant. Sometimes they are flat wrong. Many times people want to tell you what they think the law SHOULD be, not what it is.

We had one example from a now-banned poster (IndyFFL), who flat out insisted that the question-asker was legally shit out of luck. He wasn't, and eventually about every lawyer who was an active member weighed in with contrary opinion, and some pretty specific guidance about how to proceed. The original poster eventually prevailed on a seller who tried to welch on a deal to sell the OP a rare revolver.

It was a great example of a time when "advice" from an ignoramus could have done some real harm.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jhe888,

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
April 10, 2018, 02:58 PM
arcwelder
It's a mix of well meaning, and the compulsion to post and be recognized.

We all need to temper our masturbatory interests, for the greater good of an OP, and the forum at large.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

April 16, 2018, 02:34 PM
bendable
bump

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first
April 16, 2018, 03:26 PM
BB61
As someone who recently received excellent advice from a forum member (via e-mail), who is an expert on the subject, I appreciate your directions and of course his free advice. As an FYI, I approached him directly as I didn’t want a thread to get sidetracked.

September 21, 2019, 07:53 AM
arcwelder
This could use a bump.

Arc.

September 21, 2019, 07:59 AM
ensigmatic
I posted a question, no long ago. I recall not what. Electrical/code, I think? Anyway, I noted in my OP something like "If you're not a subject matter expert, please refrain from commenting. Thank you."

It appeared to work.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher
September 21, 2019, 08:17 AM
arcwelder
Ultimately, the goal is to make sure membership gets the actual help they are looking for. If they go off of someones bad advice and harm comes from it, well, that is what is to be avoided.

Additionally, the goal would be for people with actual experience and professional expertise to not have to wade through or counter/explain/rebuff people who have only their misinformed or outright wrong opinion.

If you're a qualified expert in your field, but routinely have to elbow through jackasses to speak your piece, you eventually feel it's not worth your time. Expert opinions do provide value for the membership, so we'd like to avoid this.

This is worth a read:

The death of expertise

Arc.

September 21, 2019, 09:57 AM
H&K-Guy
Many of us have have been guilty of this kind of nonsense. The first few comments of a post asking for help seems to have the obligatory "waiver", "nice Karma, I'm in!", and other generally useless comments. This is especially common when the poster is a new member. I know I've done this in the past without any compassion for the OP.

We all need to refrain from this type of behavior. Starting with me. Habits are hard to break, though.

It seems general respect for your fellow members is on the decline. If someone doesn't want to contribute, that's their business. If you don't have anything to contribute, don't.

Thanks ARC, for helping to make this a more inviting environment. The more direction we get in these types of matters, the more this place becomes, not just some site, but a family.

H&K-Guy
September 23, 2019, 04:33 PM
PD
Another bump for those who had a busy weekend and might have missed Arc’s public service announcement Big Grin
September 23, 2019, 04:47 PM
sigfreund
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
This is worth a read:

Yes, it is. I loved “intellectual valets.”

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato