SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    On "paging," the "white courtesy phone," and just members asking for help in general
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

On "paging," the "white courtesy phone," and just members asking for help in general Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
This happens a lot in any thread touching on legal matters. Everyone has some anecdote or story about what happened to his bother-in-law's sister's niece's case. Occasionally, they are helpful. A lot of the time they are harmless, but not relevant. Sometimes they are flat wrong. Many times people want to tell you what they think the law SHOULD be, not what it is.

We had one example from a now-banned poster (IndyFFL), who flat out insisted that the question-asker was legally shit out of luck. He wasn't, and eventually about every lawyer who was an active member weighed in with contrary opinion, and some pretty specific guidance about how to proceed. The original poster eventually prevailed on a seller who tried to welch on a deal to sell the OP a rare revolver.

It was a great example of a time when "advice" from an ignoramus could have done some real harm.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jhe888,

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 45736 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arcwelder76
posted Hide Post
It's a mix of well meaning, and the compulsion to post and be recognized.

We all need to temper our masturbatory interests, for the greater good of an OP, and the forum at large.

Arc.

"Like a bitter weed, I'm a bad seed"- Johnny Cash

"I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel." - Pee Wee Herman

Rode hard, put away wet. RIP JHM

"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 24495 | Location: Love that dirty water, oh | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bendable
posted Hide Post
bump

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 46491 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
As someone who recently received excellent advice from a forum member (via e-mail), who is an expert on the subject, I appreciate your directions and of course his free advice. As an FYI, I approached him directly as I didn’t want a thread to get sidetracked.

Posts: 10051 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post