SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How to repair a $30,000 tire
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to repair a $30,000 tire Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted
Wonder what the heck it cost for that repair, and how long it really takes,

At $30K per tire to replace these things I'd imagine it's well worth the cost to repair it.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBHhzznlcec

Posts: 23366 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Perhaps a 5-gallon bucket: Wink

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4570 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
When duct tape just won't do. Eek

Posts: 22888 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Would they put the tire in a vulcanizer afterward?

Posts: 11156 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wonder if road side assistance picked that tab up?

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
What a let down.
5 minutes of watching the repair, and they don't show the final results!

Very interesting thanks for posting.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised they take out that much tread rubber and cords to make that repair. Doesn't seem like that reinforced patch or boot makes up for the strength lost from cord removal.

Also surprised that the strips of rubber that fill the tread go on so soft and somehow become durable tread.

Posts: 7449 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I thought the same, going so deep, however most of the rubber has no internal support bands, and I guess they need to get to the wound at the belts in order to make a solid repair.

the vehicles using these don't hit high speeds, they are heavy haulers mostly in pits moving rock, coal, etc or other slow paced earth moving equipment.

still it's pretty cool and obviously labor intensive repair process.

Posts: 23366 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My forearms are cramping up just watching that guy work.

Posts: 5414 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old, Slow,
but Lucky!
Picture of dsmack
posted Hide Post
I worry for the condition of his lungs!!!

I'd think a particulate mask would be required for all the grinding, creating rubber dust that is being inhaled...?

Surprised that OSHA isn't all over that!

Posts: 3418 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
Must have been one hell of a nail.

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Very interesting.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53120 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by entropy:
Must have been one hell of a nail.

Or a Volkswagen Jetta

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37949 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
very Mike Rowe/ Dirty Jobs -esque

I find if fascinating watching a skilled tradesman practice their craft.

Thanks for the video.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11144 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
That's not really a flat repair but a section repair, very common on tires run off road. I never dealt with tires that size but on smaller loader tires the cost was $100-$200. The tire is perfectly usable after the repair.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3396 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post