SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is there a way I can check a gun to see if it's stolen?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there a way I can check a gun to see if it's stolen? Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SapperSteel:
you could go to the police station with the seller and his gun
The question was asked by a member who lists his location as Utah.

I do not know what the statute is in Utah, but here in Florida, you man not take a gun into a police station.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HTH, Darthfuster.

http://www.hotgunz.com/

Caveat: If it doesn't show up, don't automatically assume it's clean.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by SapperSteel:
you could go to the police station with the seller and his gun
The question was asked by a member who lists his location as Utah.

I do not know what the statute is in Utah, but here in Florida, you man not take a gun into a police station.

Interesting.

I was a resident of Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan for about 17 years. There, when you transfer ownership of a gun, you MUST take it to the police station for a "safety check", which is really a de-facto registration.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Some years ago there was a web site called something like "Isthisgunstolen.com" and data about stolen guns could be entered by anyone. Checking was by serial number only and the only information returned to a person inquiring was the Police Report number and gun type. Of course, such a site is only as useful as those submitting data make it. It may not still exist.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
you would think the NRA would provide this service they have connections no one wants stolen guns circulated

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Checking was by serial number only a

Worthless as SN's are not unique. when entering in the gun file, the make ,model, caliber and type among other fields in mandatory

quote:
you would think the NRA would provide this service

There is no way they will be given access to NCIC. Even the computer techs we use had to be certified by the state.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I ran it on hotgunz. No hits. I think I'll try the pawn shop too. I have a friend that owns one close by. Hadn't even considered that.

I don't know why this deal makes me question. I guess it is that the seller is asking so little for it. He's not desperate so I am just being cautious.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29699 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gut feelings are worthy. And if correctly interpreted, always right.

Best,

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by PeteF:
Ffl transfer?

Serial numbers aren't checked by NICS during FFL transfers. The check is done on the buyer, to make sure they're not a prohibited person, not the gun.

actually that varies by state,

Oregon (IIRC) runs all firearms sold thru nics , or at least used,

Virginia has a section on the VSP page Dealers use to submit background checks (Vchek, we are a POC state) where you can check a firearm if needed,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I realize there's probably 50 different answers to this question, but how to pawn shops determine they're not receiving a stolen firearm?

Posts: 1400 | Location: Butte, Mont. | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MTJbyrd:
I realize there's probably 50 different answers to this question, but how to pawn shops determine they're not receiving a stolen firearm?

They don’t? They’re in it for the money.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MTJbyrd:
I believe pawn shops here in Dallas submit firearms information weekly to the police for those in their inventory, and stolen ones are identified that way. (Or so I was told once by a LEO.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post