SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is there a way I can check a gun to see if it's stolen?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there a way I can check a gun to see if it's stolen? Login/Join 
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted
Maybe a site that I can enter the serial number and run a check? Would need to be legit.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29614 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Call the police

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6846 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I've never heard of any jurisdiction running a weapon through NCIC for citizens...

but if you knew a friend who was a cop he might be able to run it.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
I have called atf to check before and they won’t do shit for you, it’s maddening. Best think is to ask a cop if he can run it for you.

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5131 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
I was in the same position about 10 yrs ago. Had an old Colt revolver that my father acquired back in the 60`s from a friend. Took it to the local PD to check it out and they told me it was too old for that. Sold it at the local gun shop on consignment.

Posts: 5298 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
What state do you live in. In Florida their is a web site you put the serial number in to and if it is reported stolen it will tell you.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2553 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I am in Utah. My bro in law is retired LEO. Can ret. LEO do it?

Posts: 29614 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
no l.e.o.'s in AZ would do it over the phone, you had to walk in with it for them to run it.

and guess what happens if it is stolen

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54506 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
I am not sure if the Florida system is tied into some sort of national system if there is one. If your state does not have a website and law enforcement cant do it for the public you might be out of luck. Have you tried calling or going to a local gun shop to see if they can check it for you.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2553 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ffl transfer?

Posts: 1038 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PeteF:
Ffl transfer?

Serial numbers aren't checked by NICS during FFL transfers. The check is done on the buyer, to make sure they're not a prohibited person, not the gun.

Posts: 32433 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RaiseHal
posted Hide Post
So you ask the police to run a check, do they arrest you if it's stolen?

It's a shame that youth is wasted on the young --- Mark Twain

Anyone who is not a liberal by age 20 has no heart; anyone who is not a conservative by age 40 has no brain---Winston Churchill

Posts: 4650 | Location: The Free State of Georgia | Registered: August 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RaiseHal:

They probably won't arrest you but they will confiscate the gun.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2073 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ggile:
quote:

That might be inconvenient but do you really want a stolen gun??

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
quote:
Originally posted by ggile:
quote:

That might be inconvenient but do you really want a stolen gun??

No, but I want to know before I buy it Big Grin

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
The local pawn shops are allowed to check with the DPD to check on stolen weapons. I don't think ordinary citizens can do that, though.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
why are you concerned?

first question to ask is why do you want to dig

it sounds like you have a suspicion already

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53087 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Ncic entries are tightly controlled. No one is going to run an item they don't have in hand. A hit on a stolen item generates a Locate to the sgency tat entered it.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Maybe get a Loan against the Pistol from a Pawn Shop, during which they will hold it as collateral, then pay off the Loan and get it back in a day or week, whatever the terms allow. Then consider the fee/interest they charge you as the fee for running the gun.

This only works if they run the gun on intake or payoff, which you can ask about first. If they only run them upon default whereupon they'd keep your collateral, then it's pointless, but I'd guess they run them on intake to ensure the the collateral itself is legit before accepting it as such, but that's just a guess.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Maybe a site that I can enter the serial number and run a check? Would need to be legit.

Darthfuster, maybe you could go to the police station with the seller and his gun to do the check. Then, if it's clear, you could pay the seller on the spot and take possession.

The seller should only be reluctant to do that if he himself has knowledge or suspicion that the gun is stolen.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post