SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    bladder inspection
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

bladder inspection Login/Join 
posted
Had some urinary problems recently and a Urologist wants to scope my bladder next week, anyone who's had this done, what can I expect from this procedure. Thanks ahead.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Had it done about 5 times now. Gets easier each time. Not my favorite thing, but beats dying of undiagnosed bladder cancer. Mine was found incidentally when I had ureteroscopy for kidney stones. I'd take simple cystoscopy any day over that!

Posts: 18042 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Not fun. I did it once and thought it seemed like the Dr. was having entirely too much fun. He was positively gleeful describing all the vile things he wanted to do to my bladder and associated plumbing. The only good side of it was, his assistant was a really pretty gal who had her scrub top open enough to show off some impressive cleavage when she bent over me. I sometimes wonder if they arranged that just to distract me.

Posts: 7260 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just having a good time
Picture of ragman
posted Hide Post
Not the worst thing but I don't want another one any time soon. It seems my Dr. wanted to engage in stimulating conversation during the procedure, me not so much. Overall no big deal.

" I didn't fail the test,I just found 100 ways to do it wrong." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1489 | Location: N. C. | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
have a little faith , you'll be fine

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54595 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
Had it done several times while on a witch hunt. I don't like it; it doesn't hurt but isn't comfortable. Just do it -- my dad died from bladder cancer.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I have been invaded a few times for stones. I was put out for those. Each time they left a stent. A week later they pulled the stent while fully awake. It gets easier each time. But Richard wants to hide far away every time.

One time I said If you can find it, let me know.

Daisy's reply, Oh you'll know.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6312 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Once they get the scope past the prostate gland, no sweat.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
Had it done about 25 times before, during, and after bladder cancer treatments (I should not have smoked). It is a necessary evil, but very do-able.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1858 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Once they get the scope past the prostate gland, no sweat.

Yeah, especially if you have an enlarged prostate! Ask me how I know that!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25641 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I had one about twelve years ago, not expecting that and found it pretty much horrible. Hope they've improved the hardware.

Just yesterday I talked my urologist out of doing another. This followed a CT scan that showed no problems. There's a lot more to this story, the doctor agreed with my reasoning as I may have solved the problem I'm having. We know what to look for, he's trusting my judgement.

I had a prostatectomy a few months back, I did have concerns about jiggering with my new plumbing but not my primary reason for begging off another scope job. I need to call the office up and find out if the hardware is less obtrusive these days. Whatever the case, I'll need to be better mentally prepared if I need another look.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8325 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last time I had it the doctor wanted me to look and the monitor. I felt like I was getting a tour!

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I think they used a piece of culvert when I had mine done a decade ago.

If I ever have to have another, I will ask to see the tools first and then decide.

I don't react to lidocaine well...it doesn't work. I told them that and the doctor didn't believe me.
I was on my fingernails and toes on the table while he shoved a large sized pipe up my Johnson to look around.
It was "mild discomfort"

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11268 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Funny you should mention this. I had it done a couple of weeks ago. I would rate it as rather uncomfortable, but not really painful. I would describe the discomfort level as maybe a mild sting.

They used novocaine, it was over and done in a few minutes.

For a day or three after, there was just a bit of a sting when I urinated. First time I peed after the scope, it was tinged with blood, but that was expected.

They gave me three antiboiotic tablets -- one each the day before, the day of, and the day after. Also told me to lay off aspirin and blood thinner for five to seven days before, through three days after.

Do it, it's not really a big deal.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30633 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe you are referring to a cystoscopy. I had one done about 8 years ago. It was done in the doctor's office.

It was not pleasant at all - very uncomfortable, but I wouldn't say it was painful. Afterwords, especially the next day or two, when urinating it felt like I was urinating acid - strong stinging, a slight tinge of blood. But the information it provides to the urologist is very helpful - in that sense, it's worth it to have it done.

Posts: 944 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have mine scoped every two years, due to a cyst. Some have left me saying never again, but the last was a piece of cake.

Hopefully a change of equipment has made the difference!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
It's not comfortable, for obvious reasons, however, it isn't painful. The nurse will inject some jell into your penis to lube and numb it. I never realized the little guy could stretch enough to swallow that scope.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Here is a summary of my buddy's bladder inspection ordeal:
  • My buddy had spent 8 out of the last 10 years working oil & gas in Russia/former Soviet Republics, hadn't seen a US doctor in 10+ years, and was sick of pissing 6x per hour. He had a trip back to the US so I made him an appointment at my doctor.
  • My doctor sends him in for some sort of bladder inspection, and it involves a gorgeous female radiologist assistant and my buddy basically sitting in his own piss for 30+ minutes as they pushed more dye and periodically took images. I wish I would've recorded my buddy recanting the story as he had me laughing so hard I darn near pissed myself. I can't do it justice as my buddy is a great story teller, but I am not.
  • My doctor prescribes my buddy a drug for the frequent urination, and I instantly remember it from a TV commercial because one of the side effects is it may cause anal leakage. I always wondered who would take a drug to pee less and risk getting anal leakage. Well, my buddy. BTW, it gave him anal leakage which took 2 days to clear up after he ceased taking the medication.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23194 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Better Than I Deserve!
    Picture of LBTRS
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by satch:
    Had some urinary problems recently and a Urologist wants to scope my bladder next week, anyone who's had this done, what can I expect from this procedure. Thanks ahead.

A sharp burning sensation and the urge to urinate. I've had it done a few times for kidney stones and the resulting stents and it ain't no fun at all.

Good luck.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Never miss an
    opportunity to STFU
    posted Hide Post
    I share the experience with stiab. Had many cystoscopes done. They found a tumor in my bladder and removed it. The doctor said everything that gets in your bloodstream dumps into your bladder; my years of smoking caught up to me. Any way, I still have a cysto every year to make sure everything is ok. Nothing to it. The instrument they use fills your bladder with fluid so they a can examine it with the scope Its over in a few minutes and I'm on my way home. You will need to urinate to get rid of the fluid before you leave, and when you get home. A little soreness for a few hours, then you will forget it.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post