SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Colorado vacation suggestions
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colorado vacation suggestions Login/Join 
posted
Were planning on taking the kids to Colorado this summer. I've been all over the state on vacations and hunting trips but my last visit was back in 98. I'm thinking of going to the less developed areas like the San Juan mountain range, starting in Pagosa Springs and going up to Silverton.
Does anyone have any tips/suggestions on things to see and do in that area? Thanks.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Great Sand Dunes park comes to mind.

Telluride is beautiful in the summer.

Aspen isn't too far away. If you are making your way North, you could hit Glenwood Springs and Vail on your way towards Denver (if you are heading to Denver at some point).

Vail has fun activities on the mountain in the summer. How old are the kids?

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Ride a choochoo train, either the Durango and Silverton or the Cumbres and Toltec. I prefer the latter.

Raft the Arkansas River.

Dinosaur National Monument on the Utah/Colo border.

Mesa Verde National Park cliff dwellings.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I'm very fond of the Durango area.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
Were planning on taking the kids to Colorado this summer. I've been all over the state on vacations and hunting trips but my last visit was back in 98. I'm thinking of going to the less developed areas like the San Juan mountain range, starting in Pagosa Springs and going up to Silverton.
Does anyone have any tips/suggestions on things to see and do in that area? Thanks.

Stay on 550 N from Silverton to Ouray, very nice scenery.
I would hit Durango if I were in that area, but it can be pretty warm in the summer. There is a narrow gauge you can take from Durango to Silverton, though I have never been on it, I am suer it has amazing scenery as well.
Pagosa has many music festivals during the summer, so you could time it and see some good music acts.
Are you focusing on the 4 corners area?

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Ouray is especially beautiful.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Already mentioned; Mesa Verde and the Silverton Railroad. Jeep trip through the San Juans is always fun. We found a great bed and breakfast in Durango, The Apple Orchard Inn. They had some beautiful grounds with water features that were stocked with trout for catch and release.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
Google San Juan Skyway. A lot to see on that path.

Posts: 1956 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
There is a truly terrific museum in Ouray. And the hot springs are great there as well.
Also Box Canyon Falls a mile out of town.

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
In Durango, the Silverton Durango railroad is a cool trip and our kids loved rafting the Animas. Purgatory has some fun summer activities. From there it's not a horrible drive to Ouray and Telluride.

Posts: 3999 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Avoid Denver and the front range crowd. Too crowded. Steamboat Springs is a great summertime area with lots to do as well.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
We'll be in Telluride part of July, San Juans are the most beautiful part of the state IMO.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6996 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScorpionBoy:
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:

Stay on 550 N from Silverton to Ouray, very nice scenery.
I would hit Durango if I were in that area, but it can be pretty warm in the summer. There is a narrow gauge you can take from Durango to Silverton, though I have never been on it, I am suer it has amazing scenery as well.
Pagosa has many music festivals during the summer, so you could time it and see some good music acts.
Are you focusing on the 4 corners area?
If you are going the Durango to Silverton railroad journey, I recommend the option to go to Silverton by rail and return by coach. The paths diverge and go different routes through the mountains.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
My wife is from Grand Junction so I have spent many vacations on the western slope. I too recommend the Silverton railroad, as well as Mesa Verde. Also, Ouray is amazing, and there are old mines that you can tour and mining Ghost towns as well.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3574 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the suggestions. We booked a fairly isolated cabin overlooking Electra lake near Purgatory, halfway between Durango and Silverton.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
You could go to the Four Corners and get some good family pics.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1153 | Location: western, Washington | Registered: November 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I'll second Mesa Verde and Durango. Our kids (now in their 20's) still talk about it.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
I was going to add Colorado Springs. From there, there are many day trips, cripple creek, cave if the winds https://youtu.be/rFiijGZ3vrw or woodland Park or Mantiou Incline (if you're so inclined). The cabin sounds awesome. Oh, Dragon Man's is on my list to do...someday..would love to meet Mel.

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
klondike and snow at the zoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t32fjuhNLGU

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post