SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Yorkers rankled on first day of statewide plastic-bag ban.Update: San Fransisco bans reusable bags due to Coronavirus.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Yorkers rankled on first day of statewide plastic-bag ban.Update: San Fransisco bans reusable bags due to Coronavirus. Login/Join 
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fla. Jim:
Now I wonder if my reverse osmosis sink faucet is removing the micro particles. And do the micro particles leave the body as easily as the entry.

Definitely. A good reverse osmosis filter can remove salt from seawater so I'm guessing you're beyond safe.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
My current home state banned the bags a year or so ago. I hated it at first, bitching about the cat litter and not having the bags as bathroom can liners, but I am now used to it. My behavior has been moderated by the great and benevolent government.

In all seriousness, it took about a week to implement solutions and it really isn't that big of a deal. Plastic pollution is a huge problem for aquatic life. I'm no rocket scientist, but I don't think I have ever NOT seen a plastic bag in any body of water I've been in or on.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
quote:
Originally posted by Fla. Jim:
Now I wonder if my reverse osmosis sink faucet is removing the micro particles. And do the micro particles leave the body as easily as the entry.

Definitely. A good reverse osmosis filter can remove salt from seawater so I'm guessing you're beyond safe.

Of course it also removes minerals and there are those who say that drinking RO water will leach the minerals out of your body. I don’t let it bother me, drinking primarily out RO’d well water, but some folks worry about it.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
A couple of Rubbermade totes make an excellent substitute for bags. Aldi tested and approved,

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
I hated it at first, bitching about the cat litter....

Just curious...what did you substitute for the cat bags?

Posts: 9002 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
Oregon banned plastic bags last year. At first the option was bring a bag or pay five cents for a paper bag. Now, they have heavier plastic bags stamped reusable for five cents.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
What's more, paper bags, which are supposed to be more environmentally friendly, are worse for the environment!

Nonsense! Paper bags come from trees, trees are a renewable resource. All you have to do it turn that wood into paper and... oh... oops! Turns out doing that takes energy, water, and chemicals.

I suppose next they'll want to ban paper bags.

I wonder what would happen if you brought your own plastic bags to a store in NY? I would have to try that just to screw with them

The point made about paper bags was twofold: first, that plastic bags are reused more than paper bags (multiple reuses for plastic versus single reuse for paper) and that recycling paper bags other than letting them simply decay organically, emits more greenhouse gases than recycling plastic.

I don't know how true the above observations are, but they are in line with that "Law of Unintended Consequences" that keeps popping up so often...

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
Out here in California plastic bags are banned.

First the Government banned paper bags and you could only get plastic. Then oooops all the plastic bags were causing pollution Roll Eyes

Now you can pay for paper or bring your own reusable bags...

Government doing what it does best....

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3458 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Another good reason to have your groceries delivered or picked out for you in Pickup, no more problems with bags, no buying bags, no washing cloth bags.

Who's gonna pick up dog crap with their reusable cloth bags.....

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
My dog died a while back. I didn't really like picking it up (shoveling). So I learned to compromise. I shovel it out into the street, where the dog owners all drive. I give it back to them, on their tires and inner fenders. They should be better drivers and learn to swerve around the piles.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Another good reason to have your groceries delivered or picked out for you in Pickup, no more problems with bags, no buying bags, no washing cloth bags.

And food delivery causes more greenhouse gases and air pollution than either paper or plastic.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
And food delivery causes more greenhouse gases and air pollution than either paper or plastic.

Big Grin I challenge that theory, the total number of trips from the house to the store or the store to my house are the same, they just start at different ends of the journey.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Today I went to the Walmart and the grocery store. At self checkout the computer asked me how many paper bags I used. Best part was that neither store had paper bags available. They only had a few months to prepare for this bullshit but weren't smart enough to have bags.

Posts: 3437 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm glad I left New York in the 70s.

Posts: 1546 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marlin Fan:
I'm glad I left New York in the 70s.

I escaped in 1986.

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark60:
Today I went to the Walmart and the grocery store. At self checkout the computer asked me how many paper bags I used. Best part was that neither store had paper bags available. They only had a few months to prepare for this bullshit but weren't smart enough to have bags.

Did you just leave everything there? I would have.

This was not planned out well, how does this work for people who don't have bags on them and stores that don't have any alternative bags like you saw?

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
San Francisco Bans Reusable Bags To Counter Virus-Contagion Threat

https://www.zerohedge.com/heal...rus-contagion-threat

The San Francisco Bay Area is usually ahead of the curve when it comes to implementing environmentally-friendly policies to save the planet. However, city officials banned reusable shopping bags Wednesday as a way to enforce social distancing protocols imposed by the state government to limit the spread of COVID-19.

The reusable bag ban was enforced by the San Francisco Department of Public Health (SFDPH) under a new social distancing protocol that was published Wednesday, which restricts people from using reusable shopping bags at supermarkets to prevent outside germs from entering.

The order says explicitly that store employees are not allowed to let "customers bring their own bags, mugs, or other reusable items from home" into essential businesses during the quarantine.

San Francisco Mayor London Breed on Wednesday said the citywide shelter-in-place public health order would be extended through May 3:

"I can't reiterate enough how important it is for all of us to continue to comply, for all of us to continue to be good citizens, to cooperate," Breed said.

Posts: 12580 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post