SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Yorkers rankled on first day of statewide plastic-bag ban.Update: San Fransisco bans reusable bags due to Coronavirus.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Yorkers rankled on first day of statewide plastic-bag ban.Update: San Fransisco bans reusable bags due to Coronavirus. Login/Join 
posted
Yes bring your coronavirus,flu contaminated bags from home and spread the joy.I know which one is more sanitary.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/01/...ide-plastic-bag-ban/

Here’s where you can stuff your plastic-bag ban.

New Yorkers were forced to begin grappling with a new shopping reality Sunday as the state’s ban on plastic shopping bags kicked in — and not many people were happy about it.

“I think it’s ridiculous,” letter-carrier Scott Kimmel, 56, said while shopping at the Whitestone Target in College Point, Queens. “I understand about ‘conserve, take care of the environment,’ but c’mon!”

About half the shoppers seen by The Post on the first day of the bag ban, including Kimmel, were compensating by bringing their own bags from home, while another quarter opted to just go bagless rather than pay the 5-cent paper-bag fee allowed under the law, and the remaining 25 percent coughed up the nickel charge per bag.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wcb6092,

Posts: 12681 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
They asked for it by voting the way they did.

Personally we bring our own reusable cloth bags for groceries but having government mandate it is a little too far.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Here's an article titled, "Banning Plastic Is Stupid, For Us And The Environment" that is a pretty good and interesting read. In summary, "New York’s Governor Andrew Cuomo declared that the ban would “reduce litter in our communities, protect our water and create a cleaner and greener New York for all.” So that’s what happened, right? That’s obviously what happened. No, actually, of course not — plastic pollution got significantly worse."

In fact, as usual, the Law of Unintended Consequences rears its ugly head. A study linked to in the article shows that even MORE plastic pollution occurs when people are forced to buy stronger, thicker trash bags. What's more, paper bags, which are supposed to be more environmentally friendly, are worse for the environment! What? Yes, studies show that people tend to reuse plastic bags more frequently than they do paper bags. Oops.

Those nutty liberals. They'll be the ruination of us all.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
Yes bring your coronavirus, flu contaminated bags from home and spread the joy.

Come on, you can't expect the idiots in Albany to have thought this out and factored in all the negative consequences. The waste bin of history is full of the unintended consequences of ill thought government laws. This is for the earth, with out this it all ends in, what are we down to, 10 years.

With progressives it's not the actual outcome of a law that counts, it's their thoughts and feelings that matter most. They intended to save the world, so what if the exact opposite happens.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
In fact, as usual, the Law of Unintended Consequences rears its ugly head. A study linked to in the article shows that even MORE plastic pollution occurs when people are forced to buy stronger, thicker trash bags.

That is precisely what would happen in our case.

We re-use plastic shopping bags in a small bucket to dispose of used cat litter, and for hanging waste bags in the garage and µBarn. What we don't use, we take with us on the rare occasions we shop at Walmart and drop in their plastic bag recycle bin.

quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
What's more, paper bags, which are supposed to be more environmentally friendly, are worse for the environment!

Nonsense! Paper bags come from trees, trees are a renewable resource. All you have to do it turn that wood into paper and... oh... oops! Turns out doing that takes energy, water, and chemicals.

I suppose next they'll want to ban paper bags.

I wonder what would happen if you brought your own plastic bags to a store in NY? I would have to try that just to screw with them

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Well, I don’t care for all those Tee Shirt bags. In the past, I always had to tie the bag handles together to keep everything from scattering all over the car trunk.
A few days ago, I bought a couple of those folding crates at Costco. Now, I just sling everything in a crate where it stays put until I get home and haul it in the house. Haven’t tried it yet, but it might be easy enough to simply return the checked items back into the shopping cart to be transferred to one of the crates in the parking lot to dispense with those little bags altogether. Of course - YMMV

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
In a true environmentally future, most food will be converted to pill form so that'll take care of the need for a lot of bags, really, it's just right around the corner...in the future!

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
I did my part this morning.

Posts: 2583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
But disposable diapers are okay. There has never been a disposable diaper that ever biodegraded yet.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The city council in one of our local cities is debating a 10 cent per bag fee for disposable plastic/paper bags.

They're going to have a meeting next week to allow for public comment.

I suspect the results will be very different than what they expect. The city is known for having a very vocal hippies/liberal minority, who I'm sure are all about environmental wokeness and doing everything they can to save the baby sea monkeys and whatnot, but c'mon... This is still Arkansas. Most of the residents in that city want nothing to do with this bullshit.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:...There has never been a disposable diaper that ever biodegraded yet.

you never dealt with my infant daughter on a couple of occasions...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43878 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I dislike those stupid plastic tee shirt type bags, as noted above they spill things out. I’m not paying for those!

My #1 go-to grocery store places the free empty cardboard wine boxes by a front door. As I go in I toss a couple of them in my cart.

When I check out I have the bagger put my groceries in them. They sit nicely in my trunk and nothing falls out on the way home.

Fruits and veggies are put in either a paper bag or my reuseable shopping bags

When I get home I take a utility knife, cut them down and in the trash cart they go.

Posts: 11840 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Weren't the plastic bags supposed to be an alternative to paper to save trees?

Now its ok to kill trees to prevent the use of plastic as long as you pay a $0.05 fee?

Make up your minds!

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
But disposable diapers are okay. There has never been a disposable diaper that ever biodegraded yet.

The sewer people hate disposable diapers since they clog up the pumps.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
They need to educate the people why the plastic bags are bad for the drinking water.

Snip:

You Will Eat Two Recycling Bins of Plastic in Your Lifetime
Analysis by Dr. Joseph Mercola Fact Checked

January 14, 2020

Story at-a-glance

The average person eats about 5 grams of plastic per week — about the amount found in one credit card
Drinking water is the greatest contributor to plastic ingestion for humans, and plastic particles were found in groundwater, surface water, tap water and bottled water throughout the world
Shellfish represent another notable source of plastic exposure, contributing up to 0.5 grams a week
Based on an average human life span of 79 years, the average person will consume 20 kilograms (44 pounds) of plastic, which is the same weight as two full-sized plastic recycling bins

Tiny bits of plastic about the size of a sesame seed or smaller are everywhere. News headlines often show intact plastic bags, rings and bottles as the primary threats to the environment — and these are indeed harmful to marine life and more — but the smaller, more insidious plastic bits may be even more harmful.

These microplastics, as they're known, are smaller than 5 millimeters (mm), and found in a number of commonly consumed foods and beverages.

In a study at University of Newcastle, Australia, researchers for WWF International, they quantified what this means for humans, revealing a shocking finding that the average person could be eating about 5 grams of plastic per week — about the amount found in one credit card.1 Reuters then extrapolated on the findings, revealing what 5 grams of plastic per week adds up to over a lifetime.2
Drinking Water Is the Largest Source of Plastic Ingestion

The University of Newcastle study analyzed the "existing but limited" literature available on the average amount of plastic ingested by humans. The calculations were based on 33 studies on the consumption of plastic via foods and beverages, such as drinking water, beer, shellfish and salt.3 Per week, the researchers estimated that the average person consumes:4

1,769 plastic particles from drinking water
182 plastic particles from shellfish
10 plastic particles from beer
11 plastic particles from salt

As the data show, drinking water is the greatest contributor to plastic ingestion for humans, and plastic particles were found in groundwater, surface water, tap water and bottled water throughout the world. In the U.S., 94.4% of tap water samples contained plastic fibers, as did 82.4% of tap water samples from India and 72.2% of those from Europe.5

Drinking bottled water is not a solution and, in fact, may contain even more plastic than tap water. Research published in Environmental Science & Technology even suggested people drinking bottled water exclusively may ingest more microplastics than those drinking tap water.6

It's thought the plastic pollution in bottled water originates from the manufacturing process of the bottles and caps. When researchers at the State University of New York tested 259 bottles of 11 popular bottled water brands — including Aquafina, Nestle Pure Life, Evian, Dasani and San Pelligerino — they found, on average, 325 pieces of microplastic per liter.7,8

Shellfish represent another notable source of plastic exposure, contributing up to 0.5 grams a week. Part of the reason for their large contribution is because they're eaten whole, digestive system and all, after living in oceans polluted by plastic.9

Inhalation of plastic particles from the air was found to contribute only a negligible amount of humans' lifetime plastic burden, although the researchers noted that this could vary largely depending on local conditions and lifestyle.

They did note, however, that indoor air contains more plastic pollution than outdoor air, due to more limited air circulation and the fact that household dust and synthetic textiles are significant sources of microplastics in indoor air.

Continued:

https://articles.mercola.com/s...astic-do-we-eat.aspx

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
They need to educate the people why the plastic bags are bad for the drinking water.

Snip:

You Will Eat Two Recycling Bins of Plastic in Your Lifetime
Analysis by Dr. Joseph Mercola Fact Checked

January 14, 2020

Story at-a-glance

The average person eats about 5 grams of plastic per week — about the amount found in one credit card
Drinking water is the greatest contributor to plastic ingestion for humans, and plastic particles were found in groundwater, surface water, tap water and bottled water throughout the world
Shellfish represent another notable source of plastic exposure, contributing up to 0.5 grams a week
Based on an average human life span of 79 years, the average person will consume 20 kilograms (44 pounds) of plastic, which is the same weight as two full-sized plastic recycling bins

Tiny bits of plastic about the size of a sesame seed or smaller are everywhere. News headlines often show intact plastic bags, rings and bottles as the primary threats to the environment — and these are indeed harmful to marine life and more — but the smaller, more insidious plastic bits may be even more harmful.

These microplastics, as they're known, are smaller than 5 millimeters (mm), and found in a number of commonly consumed foods and beverages.

In a study at University of Newcastle, Australia, researchers for WWF International, they quantified what this means for humans, revealing a shocking finding that the average person could be eating about 5 grams of plastic per week — about the amount found in one credit card.1 Reuters then extrapolated on the findings, revealing what 5 grams of plastic per week adds up to over a lifetime.2
Drinking Water Is the Largest Source of Plastic Ingestion

The University of Newcastle study analyzed the "existing but limited" literature available on the average amount of plastic ingested by humans. The calculations were based on 33 studies on the consumption of plastic via foods and beverages, such as drinking water, beer, shellfish and salt.3 Per week, the researchers estimated that the average person consumes:4

1,769 plastic particles from drinking water
182 plastic particles from shellfish
10 plastic particles from beer
11 plastic particles from salt

As the data show, drinking water is the greatest contributor to plastic ingestion for humans, and plastic particles were found in groundwater, surface water, tap water and bottled water throughout the world. In the U.S., 94.4% of tap water samples contained plastic fibers, as did 82.4% of tap water samples from India and 72.2% of those from Europe.5

Drinking bottled water is not a solution and, in fact, may contain even more plastic than tap water. Research published in Environmental Science & Technology even suggested people drinking bottled water exclusively may ingest more microplastics than those drinking tap water.6

It's thought the plastic pollution in bottled water originates from the manufacturing process of the bottles and caps. When researchers at the State University of New York tested 259 bottles of 11 popular bottled water brands — including Aquafina, Nestle Pure Life, Evian, Dasani and San Pelligerino — they found, on average, 325 pieces of microplastic per liter.7,8

Shellfish represent another notable source of plastic exposure, contributing up to 0.5 grams a week. Part of the reason for their large contribution is because they're eaten whole, digestive system and all, after living in oceans polluted by plastic.9

Inhalation of plastic particles from the air was found to contribute only a negligible amount of humans' lifetime plastic burden, although the researchers noted that this could vary largely depending on local conditions and lifestyle.

They did note, however, that indoor air contains more plastic pollution than outdoor air, due to more limited air circulation and the fact that household dust and synthetic textiles are significant sources of microplastics in indoor air.

Continued:

https://articles.mercola.com/s...astic-do-we-eat.aspx

Yeah, except for 1 important fact, Asia and China contribute virtually all of the plastic waste that is floating around in the ocean.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:...There has never been a disposable diaper that ever biodegraded yet.

you never dealt with my infant daughter on a couple of occasions...

I've dealt with my share of warp core breaches....the kind that are so bad I just toss the kid in the shower. lol

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
The plastic bag deal is no different than the gun debate...

What you say?

The problem is not plastic bags but stupid people who litter..... always blame the item and not the person.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
They asked for it by voting the way they did.

Oh stop.

You don't know much about NY politics. You can vote, vote for whichever liberal you like. Choose which liberal Democrat you prefer. And if you want to buck the system, you can vote for the liberal Rino if it makes you feel better, assuming there's one even running. Usually cannon fodder you've never heard of before seeing their name on the ballot.

The law says it's illegal for anyone who collects sales tax to use them. So it's perfectly legal to buy a wad of them on Amazon and bring THOSE to the store with you as opposed to the reusable bags they want you to.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
Now I wonder if my reverse osmosis sink faucet is removing the micro particles. And do the micro particles leave the body as easily as the entry.

Posts: 4410 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post