SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I found REAL Krystals(White Castle) buns!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I found REAL Krystals(White Castle) buns! Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I've noticed White Castle sliders in the frozen food section of local groceries.

Has anyone ever tried this stuff? I can't imagine that they'd be anything but pedestrian but who knows....

As an aside the hardest buns to find in my experience are authentic New England lobster roll buns.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
As an aside the hardest buns to find in my experience are authentic New England lobster roll buns.

And it's just silly. Split top rolls are so much more logical than those silly side cut rolls at most stores. Plus they have those nice sides you can butter up and grill / toast.
Here's a way to make your own:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2R9yCuNDJc

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If someone could just find the original White Castle meat and onions???

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
quote:

And it's just silly. Split top rolls are so much more logical than those silly side cut rolls at most stores. Plus they have those nice sides you can butter up and grill / toast.

Thanks for that zoom. I've been looking for a good hotdog/burger bun recipe and I like Chef John's stuff. I'll have to give this a go.

Posts: 20082 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
I toss them on the griddle and place a lid over them, similar to how they're cooked at the chains.
I roll my beef flat and cut it into squares too.

I'm sure yours turn out a heck of a lot better with much better meat than White Castles.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
I toss them on the griddle and place a lid over them, similar to how they're cooked at the chains.
I roll my beef flat and cut it into squares too.

I'm sure yours turn out a heck of a lot better with much better meat than White Castles.
I lived in Georgia in the latter-'80s. I went to a Krystal, just to see what it was like. The "meat" was gray and had a noticeable amount of fine-ground cartilage.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Here's where I made them last year but with Kings Hawaiians

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39744 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
quote:

Chef John rocks, but I'm not spending half a day to make buns. Pepperidge Farm makes split top buns, which is the only civilized way to eat a hot dog. Not even sure how I made chili dogs prior to discovering them. Chef Johns do look yummy though and he's never steered me wrong.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by terma-nator:
When we lived in NY we used to call them "Belly bombers"!

That's similar to what we called Krystals in high school. Our term was "Gut Bombs"...

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I had never heard the term "Slider" applied to a food until just a few years ago. We had both White Castle and White Tower places in Detroit when I was a kid, but no one called what they made a "Slider"--we just called them "White Castle".

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
We would refer to WC as red dots. After you sat on the toilet long enough for them to exit, you got red dots on your thighs from resting your elbows. Big Grin

Posts: 13097 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I had never heard the term "Slider" applied to a food until just a few years ago. We had both White Castle and White Tower places in Detroit when I was a kid, but no one called what they made a "Slider"--we just called them "White Castle".

flashguy

I had never heard the term slider until I worked with a guy from Detroit.
Must be a northern thing.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39744 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

flashguy

I had never heard the term slider until I worked with a guy from Detroit.
Must be a northern thing.

Or just based on White Castle. Not sure but they have it on their menu. We just called them Krystals.

Posts: 17881 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Stay tuned for Cockatoo Sliders!!

With the number of buns pictured, I would expect you might need as much as 1/4 lb of ground beef to replicate Krystal Burgers. Smile

We used to have a Krystal Burger in Addison, TX.
Even though it always seemed to have customers, it closed several years ago.

The buns at Krystal were not quite the same as at White Castle but it may have been due to the way they were prepared.
I would add my own Dusseldorf mustard to replicate the taste of White Castle burgers.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
When I make a burger at home, I attempt to make it as unlike WC and Krystal as possible.

Posts: 7452 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:

Yes, but a bit confusing for those who have never seen it done. They use a flat top grill covered with onions (and "juice"). The patties have holes in them, are placed on top of the onions, and then have the buns placed on top to cover the patties while they cook.

You can put your own condiments on should you choose, but a White Castle slider is only the bun, patty with the onions they were cooked on, and pickle.

Except for the holes in the patties, this is how Krystals were always done. Now it depends on how well the Krystal store is managed. If you go to a well-run Krystal, they're awesome.

BTW, I remember White Castles as a kid. The ones I remember had ketchup already on them, which I didn't like.

Posts: 8615 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I was curious about the term “slider”. I’d always assumed that it had something to do with the uncommon method of cooking the meat patties (steamed with onion). But according to Wikipedia, the name comes from the “slider roll” (bun).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slider_(sandwich)

Then I tried, with no success, to find a definition for “slider roll”. Maybe a pre-sliced roll?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
I've noticed White Castle sliders in the frozen food section of local groceries.

Has anyone ever tried this stuff? I can't imagine that they'd be anything but pedestrian but who knows....

I made that mistake. IMHO, they were nasty Frown

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

flashguy

That may have started in the Cincinnati area as a less than flattering nickname. In high school and college (early '80s) everyone called them sliders because, "They slide right down and then they slide right through."
Even more so when accompanied by a few beers.

It really surprised me when White Castle embraced the term several years later. Now we have a lot of restaurants selling small burgers as sliders. But to us that embraced the term early on, if it's not a White Castle it's not a slider.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Yep late 70's early 80's White Castle "sliders" were what we called them the two closest were Louisville or Cincinnati, making the drive required finding a sober friend to pilot a car full of beer guzzling college guys for a late night entree of 10 sliders with cheese, coke and some fries.

The finally put one in my hometown.

Sliders, Gut Bombs, WoofCookies, rectumrockets, steamed onions and meat are great at 4 am...

As to the frozen ones, it's not the same as walking into the establishment, however your house will have the smell for a while and it's about as close as you can get here in FL...

Posts: 23402 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post