SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Former Head of Mexican Police Charged with Drug Trafficking
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Former Head of Mexican Police Charged with Drug Trafficking Login/Join 
posted
https://www.nationalreview.com...th-drug-trafficking/

The former Mexican Secretary of Public Security Genaro Garcia Luna was charged Tuesday with drug trafficking and receiving bribes from the notorious Sinaloa Cartel.

Garcia Luna’s position made him the head of Mexican police. He served in the office from 2006 to 2012, and was arrested on Monday by federal agents in Dallas, Texas.

“Garcia Luna stands accused of taking millions of dollars in bribes from ‘El Chapo’ Guzman’s Sinaloa Cartel while he controlled Mexico’s Federal Police Force and was responsible for ensuring public safety in Mexico,” announced Richard P. Donoghue, U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of New York. Garcia Luna was indicted in federal court in Brooklyn.

The Sinaloa Cartel displayed its power in October of this year when its gunmen laid siege to the city of Culiacán, after police had arrested El Chapo’s son Ovidio Guzman. During the hours-long gun battle, police begged Guzman to call cartel members directly to call off the attack. Eight people were killed in the fighting, and police eventually police released Guzman.

The indictment alleges Garcia Luna received bribes from the Sinaloa cartel in exchange for freedom of movement for cartel members and goods, as well as for inside information on police investigations into the cartel. At least two of the bribes of between three to five million dollars were paid out in suitcases filled with cash, delivered by cartel members directly to Garcia Luna. His protection allowed for the importation of tons of cocaine into the U.S.

Garcia Luna left Mexico for the U.S. in 2012 after amassing a fortune from his dealings with the cartel, and in 2018 he lied about his past involvement with the cartel on his naturalization application.

He is accused of having accepted bribes from the cartel in exchange for offering protection to its members while he was serving under President Felípe Calderón, who waged a bloody war against drug cartels.

It is believed that Garcia is the highest ranking Mexico official ever charged with drug-trafficking in the US.

Posts: 12659 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Arrested by the US, not Mexico.
Not a real surprise.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Make a public statement that he spilled the beans on the cartel and then deport his ass back to Mexico.

Posts: 9035 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I’m shocked. Totally shocked.

We spent 2 winters in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico. The first year we’d see cops, in pairs, everywhere. The second year, we’d see about 15% of those numbers. The news reported that between budget cuts and the fact that a large number of cops were paid assassins, the numbers were way down. Corruption everywhere down there - just like in D.C.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Shocked I am. No way corruption in Mexico.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
[John Wayne] Just as sure as the turnin' of the Earth. [/John Wayne]

Posts: 107505 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post