SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Verizon is a terrible company...Verizon raises upgrade fee to $30, sets 200GB limit on unlimited data plans
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Verizon is a terrible company...Verizon raises upgrade fee to $30, sets 200GB limit on unlimited data plans Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I use Consumer Cellular. So far so good. Pretty decent customer service and reasonable rates.
Problems:
They charge 25 bucks to activate a new phone. Rip off!
They use AT&T Towers. Coverage is good in town but spotty elsewhere. I use a booster if need be.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 4996 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Report This Post
On the DL
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
But, like you, if I want reliable service, I have to pucker up and pay Verizon. I looked pretty hard at one of the alternative carriers (can't remember the name, but they have counters at WalMart), but I would have had to buy five new phones.
Check out Total Wireless. They are a reseller, they use the Verizon network at way lower prices to the consumer than Verizon offers, with much better customer service.

You can find them at Walmart Super Centers or online. You probably would NOT have to buy new phones, if they work on Verizon they should work on Total Wireless, but you can find out for sure by entering the IMEI number on the Total Wireless website. "If you like your phone, you can keep your phone."

Error 404: Page Not Found

Posts: 15339 | Location: Central Florida (near Orlando) | Registered: January 03, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
We're on an old plan - yes they keep trying to get me to change, F off - and we pay $101 a month all in including taxes, fees, etc. We get 10GB data, unlimited talk/text for 2 smart phones. My S5 has a cracked screen among other issues, so I'm probably going to buy a factory unlocked S7 once the new S8's come out next month and continue on.

Posts: 1265 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Report This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
What I'd like to see is the FCC require any carrier to use any tower.

In my neck of the woods that would increase coverage by about 100%. I get 2-3 bars of Verizon at my house and 0 ATT. Drive over the hill a few miles and there's 4-5 bars of ATT but 0 Verizon.

It's frustrating as all get out to need(want) to make a call while standing next to a tower and having no service.

"How dreadful are the curses which Mohammedanism lays on its votaries! Besides the fanatical frenzy, which is as dangerous in a man as hydrophobia in a dog, there is this fearful fatalistic apathy." Winston Churchill

Posts: 12633 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Report This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

No.

Also that wouldn't work as verizon and sprint are on their own tech standard (CDMA) where as every other carrier on the planet is GSM, they are completely incompatible.

The philosophy of protectionism is a philosophy of war. - Ludwig von Mises
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DhagKyvDck

Posts: 7024 | Location: Live from the high desert and the great American southwest! | Registered: July 24, 2009Report This Post
On the DL
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
quote:
that wouldn't work as verizon and sprint are on their own tech standard (CDMA) where as every other carrier on the planet is GSM, they are completely incompatible.
Many recent phones have both CDMA and GSM radios. Some services already use hand-offs between transmission protocols.

Error 404: Page Not Found

Posts: 15339 | Location: Central Florida (near Orlando) | Registered: January 03, 2010Report This Post
Picture of xwesler
posted Hide Post
Where I used to live in CT, Verizon was the only provider that had service.

Nowadays, I've been shopping around a bit. I did tend to use *alot* of data, but as my circumstances have changed I think I can get by with much less (I use WiFi whenever possible).

I'm paying around $120-$145/ month now...it's a bit insane.

Posts: 1099 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Report This Post
Telling cops where to go for over 20 years
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I recently switched from ATT to Verizon and am happy as a pig in poo.

6 smartphone lines and a tablet, traded my iPhone 6's for 7's straight across, two free Droids, and a couple $125 Samsung base phones for the in-laws.

Unlimited talk/text, 8gb data pool, but get another 12gb bonus (2gb for each phone line) for a total of 20gb and one months left over rolls over to the following month. Effectively unlimited data as far as I am concerned, never go more than 8-10gb/mo so always start the month with 30+gb given the roll-over. Total of $215/mo including tax and the monthly phone payment for the two cheapos with my government discount.

Less than $35/mo per phone line and $10 for the tablet. Better coverage and speed than I was getting with ATT as well.

"Where MY free shit?!"

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 7385 | Location: Just stumbling through, trying to avoid a premature banjackulation of my own doing... | Registered: February 17, 2006Report This Post
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
quote:

No.

Also that wouldn't work as verizon and sprint are on their own tech standard (CDMA) where as every other carrier on the planet is GSM, they are completely incompatible.
No, he's right, in a sense. A tower is just a structure that a broadcast antenna attaches to. Some are solely-owned, but most are probably owned by companies like American Tower or Crown Castle and they lease space to operators. Otherwise, I agree companies shouldn't be compelled to share facilities.

Posts: 5123 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Report This Post