SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Verizon is a terrible company...Verizon raises upgrade fee to $30, sets 200GB limit on unlimited data plans
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Verizon is a terrible company...Verizon raises upgrade fee to $30, sets 200GB limit on unlimited data plans Login/Join 
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
We'll get back to unlimited data, I suspect it'll be AT&T first because they are a tier 1 telecom. once the bandwidth pool available is so overwhelmingly large that it won't matter how many people are connected.

The philosophy of protectionism is a philosophy of war. - Ludwig von Mises
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DhagKyvDck

Posts: 6682 | Location: Live from the high desert and the great American southwest! | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Especially after they disabled my FM tuner in my HTC M8. Bastards.

I don't think it was Verizon. It was HTC, I called them about it and they gave me the run around about it, then finally got someone who told me that they removed it.

Can't have you using a free built in app with no way to sell you stuff now can we? Absolutely not! You need some app that tries to market downloads and other crap to you, that's what you really need. Also why in the world would someone want an app that requires no data connection and doesn't use up and of your now limited data? Plus why use something that you can run all day long without affecting your battery life?

Jesse

A couple SIGs and a few others

Posts: 7559 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Verizon, the Comcast of Cellular.

Comcast, the Verizon of Cable.

both are the best-worst and worst-best at what they do.

one day their effective monopolies and assfuckery will end. one day simple unlimited plans and actually decent broadband speeds and coverage will be the norm.

until then, we continue to suffer while they continue to rape.

Posts: 19402 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, good thing klinton didn't get elected or else it'd be "Remember the Gabrielle Giffords" Wink

quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
at least they finished paying for the Spanish American War and took that tax off...

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 1803 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Hate the company, but in Virginia they have the coverage in less populated areas.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It's a waste of your time, and it annoys the pig.

Posts: 9251 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:

I don't think it was Verizon. It was HTC, I called them about it and they gave me the run around about it, then finally got someone who told me that they removed it.

No, it was Verizon. They intentionally removed the functionality of my FM chip with the last Marshmallow update.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Endowment)
Family, Guns, Country

"My guns are always loaded."
~R.G. Justified

What whiskey will not cure, there is no cure.

Posts: 15663 | Location: Out of Jersey, Into Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
quote:

No, it was Verizon. They intentionally removed the functionality of my FM chip with the last Marshmallow update.

Strange, Sprint did the same and pointed the finger at HTC. HTC pointed the finger back at Sprint, then the third person at HTC said that HTC removed it.

Either way, someone is benefiting for additional exposure to ads instead of a clean streamlined free app that uses almost no power and zero data.

Download NextRadio and you should be able to use the FM chip through the basic tuner setting in the app.

Jesse

A couple SIGs and a few others

Posts: 7559 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

Download NextRadio and you should be able to use the FM chip through the basic tuner setting in the app.

No, that's the whole point. The tuner chip is completely disabled now. It will not function with any tuner app at all now. The software library that is required for the NextRadio app to work was not included in the last update.

The FM chip still works on M8s on other carriers.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
Family, Guns, Country

~R.G. Justified

Posts: 15663 | Location: Out of Jersey, Into Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
I have not herd anything from Verizon about limiting my unlimited data. I have 3 smartphones & one dumb phone paying a bit less than $300 a month. Gig usage is about 200+ a month total.

I hope I don't have a conflict, but if I do it is down to my happy barrister to make a complaint to the FCC. The same FCC that fined AT&T $100M and Sprint $20M for throttling unlimited data users.

I could use a bit of that settlement....

Posts: 738 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Verizon has always had coverage except for a while in the hinterland in Maui. They've been 100% reliable for me. Just upgraded to an iPhone 7 and liking it a lot. I see no reason to switch.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Waikapu Ahupua'a | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1967Goat
posted Hide Post
I'm like V-Tail. I switched to Straight Talk last year. $47.34 per month out the door. I picked up a Samsung Grand prime at Wal Mart on Black Friday 2015 for $50.

I also gave up my grandfathered unlimited data plan with Verizon when I made the switch. In reality I use very little data.

Someone on this site a few months ago said Verizon is now offering a ~$45 per month pre-paid plan directly. I have not looked for it yet though.

Posts: 3531 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
In my neck of the desert, Verizon has the best coverage by far. I won't even deal with any others as a couple miles from home and they fade out. It's a big demand and they are going to take advantage of it.

Posts: 4413 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

No, that's the whole point. The tuner chip is completely disabled now. It will not function with any tuner app at all now. The software library that is required for the NextRadio app to work was not included in the last update.

It also works on a rooted M8 running Cyanogenmod on Verizon Wink

Posts: 2208 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
quote:
quote:

It also works on a rooted M8 running Cyanogenmod on Verizon Wink

Now ya' see, I need to figure out how to do all that crap.

Cause despite my disdain for the way Verizon treats its customers, I don't have any plans on changing coverage just yet.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
Family, Guns, Country

~R.G. Justified

Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
quote:

Now ya' see, I need to figure out how to do all that crap.

Cause despite my disdain for the way Verizon treats its customers, I don't have any plans on changing coverage just yet.

Start here:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/verizon-htc-one-m8
http://theroot.ninja/

Basically, you unlock the bootloader, flash a custom recovery, and then you're free to flash pretty much any ROM you want from that recovery.

I had mine done within a couple hours of getting it home...but that was a couple years ago. I don't know which method is ideal with the current software patch.

Unfortunately, the phone is old enough that ROM development for it is almost dead, but it may still be worth doing just to learn the process.

Posts: 2208 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
That seems abnormally high...are you making payments on the phones? According to Verizon's site, it'd cost $260 for 5 phones & 5 tablets on the 24gb/month plan.

quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
We are in the process of deciding whether to keep Verizon. My oldest sons phone is acting up and time for a new one. Looking at their plans, and having 5 phones and 5 tablets, we are taking a beating. Right now our bill is $360 a month with only 14GB of data. Now to get a new phone we no longer get a discount for keeping a 2 year contract.
Any suggestions on a company or plan?

There is one phone being paid for. We pay $40, then Verizon gives us back $25 in rebate. We also discovered they have been charging us $5 per phone for international calling.

Here is the basic breakdown on page 1 of bill:
More Everything unlimited Talk, Text & 10GB $68
Devices and Add- ons $267
Surcharges $11.70
Taxes and government fees $14.94

Posts: 2231 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the DL
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
The irony of the situation: with early smartphones (think of the first model of iPhone, for example), AT&T REQUIRED the customer to have a thirty dollar unlimited data plan. Talk and text were extra, and definitely not unlimited, as they commonly are today. I think that my wife and I had 400 minute talk plans. Calls between customers on the same account, like my wife, me, and my wife's step-mother, were not charged against your minute package. Later, this free calling was extended to calls between any AT&T customers, whether they were on the same account or not. At that point, the trick was to find out whether the person you wanted to speak with was an AT&T customer. For a while, there was a place on the AT&T website where you could enter a phone number and find out whether or not it was an AT&T phone. They expanded this to include calls between AT&T cell phones and AT&T landline numbers. Then, later, the major carriers all went to unlimited talk.

Text was a different story in the beginning. I remember when it was fifteen cents per message, sent or received, so if my wife sent a text to me, or vice versa, the cost was thirty cents plus tax. When I received the very first unsolicited sales text, I realized that I was paying for somebody to spam me. I immediately called AT&T and had all texting, in and out, blocked for our phones.

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 14160 | Location: Central Florida (near Orlando) | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
That seems abnormally high...are you making payments on the phones? According to Verizon's site, it'd cost $260 for 5 phones & 5 tablets on the 24gb/month plan.

quote:
We are in the process of deciding whether to keep Verizon. My oldest sons phone is acting up and time for a new one. Looking at their plans, and having 5 phones and 5 tablets, we are taking a beating. Right now our bill is $360 a month with only 14GB of data. Now to get a new phone we no longer get a discount for keeping a 2 year contract.
Any suggestions on a company or plan?

There is one phone being paid for. We pay $40, then Verizon gives us back $25 in rebate. We also discovered they have been charging us $5 per phone for international calling.

Here is the basic breakdown on page 1 of bill:
More Everything unlimited Talk, Text & 10GB $68
Devices and Add- ons $267
Surcharges $11.70
Taxes and government fees $14.94

If you need international service use Skype. I used that to arrange things for a recent New Zealand trip. Costs pennies a minute, with a few cent connection fee.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

The opinions posted by this user are his own. And do not represent the opinions of his employer or sponsors.

Posts: 19794 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Verizon's data is so expensive, I was able to move all the kids to T-Mobile, get myself a second iPhone on T-Mobile, and keep the Verizon iPhone (for coverage) with a lower data plan... while saving $100 a month. The kid's love it, with unlimited Netflix, Pandora, iHeart, youTube. All of them wouldn't go back to Verizon for anything. Now, where does that leave Verizon in a few years when the kids move out and get their own plans? Inertia will dictate that they stay with T-Mobile. Stupid Verizon. Oh, and I'm a truck driver, and guess what? T-Mobile is working fine about 85% of the time. Yea, they are where Verizon was just a few years ago.

Verizon's tag line should be "Verizon Network, fastest network at getting you to your data cap."

[i]

Posts: 4544 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Their attitude toward customers really sucks, but you don't mind, because their prices are so high. Razz

Verizon is the only one of the Big Four whose towers provide decent service at our little airport.

Totally spot on. They have the highest prices, but they sure don't invest their profits in customer service.

But, like you, if I want reliable service, I have to pucker up and pay Verizon. I looked pretty hard at one of the alternative carriers (can't remember the name, but they have counters at WalMart), but I would have had to buy five new phones.

NRA Endowment Life Member; ISRA Member

“One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce, and canonized those who complain.” ― Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3388 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post