SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Verizon is a terrible company...Verizon raises upgrade fee to $30, sets 200GB limit on unlimited data plans
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Verizon is a terrible company...Verizon raises upgrade fee to $30, sets 200GB limit on unlimited data plans Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted
I still have the unlimited data plan with Verizon, though I never come close to using 200GB per month... probably not even for the year. Nevertheless, I'm really beginning to hate Verizon. Actually hate them. Especially after they disabled my FM tuner in my HTC M8. Bastards. Roll Eyes

Verizon raises upgrade fee to $30, sets 200GB limit on unlimited data plans
Chris Welch
21 Hours Ago

Last week during CES, Verizon quietly increased its upgrade fee from $20 up to $30. This charge is applied whenever a customer either buys a phone outright or splits payments up monthly with Verizon's device payment plans.
Those are pretty much the only valid ways to buy phones from Verizon at this point, since the company also got rid of two-year contracts last week — this time for good. Subsidized contract pricing had remained available to existing customers after being phased out for new subscribers in 2015. (The upgrade fee had been an even more expensive $40 for contract customers.) The $30 upgrade fee is separate from the activation fee that Verizon applies whenever you set up a new line of service.

T-Mobile CEO John Legere blasted Verizon for the change last week, but it's not like his own company doesn't sneak this stuff in: T-Mobile charges anyone not upgrading via Jump and Jump On Demand a $20 "assisted services fee" when upgrading in stores or through customer support. (Buying online avoids the fee.) AT&T and Sprint also have upgrade fees of their own, so it's an industry-wide practice that's usually justified with vague and super generic explanations. "These fees help cover increased cost to provide customers with America's largest and fastest 4G LTE network," Verizon told Ars Technica when asked about the latest increase. A request for greater specificity didn't do much; Verizon added only that the upgrade fee goes towards "ongoing costs to maintain and enhance the network,

Separately, Verizon has recently been communicating to employees the threshold it's using to decide when grandfathered unlimited data customers are hogging up an unfair share of the network: it's 200GB, according to Droid Life. Customers who exceed an average of 200GB monthly will be ordered to switch to one of Verizon's tiered data buckets. Failing that, their lines will be disconnected entirely. Apparently Verizon would rather get rid of a customer than deal with them gobbling up hundreds of gigabytes. Customers notified they've crossed the line in January must switch to a new Verizon plan by February 16th.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/10...ited-data-plans.html

https://www.engadget.com/2017/...customers-once-more/

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Endowment)
Family, Guns, Country

"My guns are always loaded."
~R.G. Justified

What whiskey will not cure, there is no cure.

Posts: 17927 | Location: Out of Jersey, Into Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Well that is horrendous. I just gave up my 2 year contract legacy plan to the new one which did save me money overall.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 4908 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Report This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
We are in the process of deciding whether to keep Verizon. My oldest sons phone is acting up and time for a new one. Looking at their plans, and having 5 phones and 5 tablets, we are taking a beating. Right now our bill is $360 a month with only 14GB of data. Now to get a new phone we no longer get a discount for keeping a 2 year contract.
Any suggestions on a company or plan?

Living the Dream

Posts: 2547 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I think there are several org's (loosely unions) that let you join for free or a very minimal fee and take advantage of their FAN discount with wireless carriers. Most FAN discounts waive the upgrade fees as well as 15-25% off the monthly data plan portion.

Posts: 1147 | Location: Round Rock TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Report This Post
On the DL
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Their attitude toward customers really sucks, but you don't mind, because their prices are so high. Razz

Verizon is the only one of the Big Four whose towers provide decent service at our little airport.

Fortunately, I have found a way to get Verizon service at lower cost without ever needing to deal with Verizon employees.

Total Wireless is one of the companies in the TracFone family. No contract, month-to-month service, you can bring your own phone or buy one of theirs, no start-up or activation fee other than the purchase of a ten dollar SIM card.

We hardly use any cellular data at all, most of our data use is wifi, so that's not charged against the pan. We have an unlimited talk & text plan, with 8 GB of data shared between two phones, for a total of less than $65 / month including all taxes and junk fees. We are not likely to ever use all that data, but if we do, we can buy more data in ten dollar increments. Any extra data that is purchased this way does not expire as long as the account is kept active.

We're pretty satisfied with it, and my interaction with their customer service has always been positive.

A mind is a terrible thing.

Posts: 16002 | Location: Central Florida (near Orlando) | Registered: January 03, 2010Report This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
I guess I still don't understand how these companies can still be allowed to obfuscate customers with the data bandwidth = data used crap.

If my phone and their network can handle so much data per second, why do they try to tell me that there's only a finite amount of bits I'm allowed to transfer?

It makes no sense and I'm pretty sick and tired of their bullshit. Same goes for any broadband provider. A network is a network. Give me the speed you advertise and GTFO.

Data caps are such a bullshit made-up scheme that people allow to be foisted on them.

Posts: 7487 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Report This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
That seems abnormally high...are you making payments on the phones? According to Verizon's site, it'd cost $260 for 5 phones & 5 tablets on the 24gb/month plan.

quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
We are in the process of deciding whether to keep Verizon. My oldest sons phone is acting up and time for a new one. Looking at their plans, and having 5 phones and 5 tablets, we are taking a beating. Right now our bill is $360 a month with only 14GB of data. Now to get a new phone we no longer get a discount for keeping a 2 year contract.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 2277 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Report This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
Data caps are such a bullshit made-up scheme that people allow to be foisted on them.

Actually they aren't. Datacaps are probably the most even way to manage their network as users can easily move node to node. So you can't really manager it on a per node and per user basis.

I can tell you that the end of the era of unlimited data sucked. In high density areas the connection is so slow that you are like on a dial up connection even though you had strong signal. I personally went from an unlimited data provider to a metered one the speed jumped tremendously, because you didn't have people sucking every bit of data they could down.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Report This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Their connectivity used to be better than most. But I HATE HATE HATE Verizon.

I moved one account to ATT. Been happy so far. I will move another account once the phone for that account is no longer usable. (If there were still subsidies for phones now, I'd have already terminated and moved). But as soon as I must buy a new phone, Verizon is gone and ATT is in.

Verizon == HATE

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - B.Franklin
"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy

Posts: 6623 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Report This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:

I buy slightly used phones off of Craigslist. I only buy phones that have the box (matching serial numbers to box lessens chance that the phone was stolen), and have the seller meet me at the store to verify that the IMEI number is valid and not blacklisted. For example, I bought a Google Pixel for $500 last month, which is about a $200 savings over retail and taxes.

I can then use the phone for 2 or 3 years and sell it for $300 dollars if I keep the phone in a case and keep the original box.

Then, while I was on Verizon, I was using their Pre-Paid service which was significantly cheaper than their regular post-paid service. I was previously paying close to $100 a month for the single phone, but with a pre-paid plan I was getting my service down to about $55.

The $45 savings each month more than covered any savings from having a "subsidized" phone. It's not really subsidized, the phone's cost was just baked into the monthly fee.

I don't know how the math pans out with having 5 phones and 5 tablets, as I'm sure there's some savings with having a bunch of devices on a single family plan. However, switching carriers might help... T-mobile, for instance, is particularly affordable if you compare it to Verizon prices. I've switched to T-mobile recently because I've been traveling more and T-mobile includes free data and text messaging in like 120 countries. Sometimes the data is slow when traveling abroad, and you have to pay extra to upgrade to 4g speeds when you get in-country, but it's still far more convenient than finding a new pre-paid sim card in every country.

Posts: 9667 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Report This Post
On the DL
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
That seems abnormally high...are you making payments on the phones? According to Verizon's site, it'd cost $260 for 5 phones & 5 tablets on the 24gb/month plan.
When you deal directly with one of the Big Four (OK, not so much with T-Mobile) the taxes and junk fees are a huge add-on, that are not shown as part of the advertised costs on the website. Customer NO-Service will not, under any circumstances, give you a realistic figure for these add-on costs.

The re-sellers like Straight Talk, Total Wireless, etc., on the other hand, have very minimal add-ons. I'm paying just the retail sales tax, 6.5% in my area, and a 20-cent per phone 911 fee, for add-ons. None of the other nonsense like subsidies for Obama-phones, local communication fees, carrier administrative fees, etc. My plan is $60 for two phones, plus 6.5% sales tax (it would be $57 for two phones plus 6.5% sales tax if I let them do auto-pay) plus 20 cents per phone for 911 fee. That's it. Nothing more. And we get the excellent coverage that the Verizon network provides, all without having to deal with Verizon, no contract, walk away any time. Can't beat that with a stick!

A mind is a terrible thing.

Posts: 16002 | Location: Central Florida (near Orlando) | Registered: January 03, 2010Report This Post
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I am about ready to dump verizon. I don't have tons of time to dedicate to figuring all the bs that goes into these providers and their schemes. But I do know verizon has crapped in its bed.

So if someone has a recommendation I am all ears

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 11549 | Registered: September 21, 2005Report This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
All the big carriers are the same
unlimited is gone, they're trying to
get users off those plans it'd be better
to just raise the cost or drop it, apparently
something in your agreement doesn't allow it
so they slow you down.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." Winston Churchill

Posts: 10970 | Location: Mouseville, FL | Registered: November 07, 2008Report This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
You can always swap to another company. A less evil one.

Let me know when you find one.

I suspect you'll be looking a while that has the coverage of the major carriers.

"Make it a shooting, and not a gunfight" LSP552 02/19/2011

Posts: 30555 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Report This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
since the company also got rid of two-year contracts last week

This I had missed. Not good.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 7587 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Report This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Sick of VZN as well. Maybe there is some truth about their network being too old and out dated. At any rate, when my contract expires, second tier provider for me.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”

Posts: 18512 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 10 year old ATT plan that is truly unlimited data. I think it was put in place before smart phones became wide spread. And they want me to change it every time I get a new phone. I occasionally get txt alerts from them telling me I'm using a bunch of data but too bad for them

And I'm a data hog. I spend a few hours a day on a commute train surfing while runnning a music ap in the background in my earphones. At home I use wifi of course. You should see the monthly statement difference between my data and my "stay at home mom" wife's data usage.

Posts: 2751 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area  | Registered: November 23, 2008Report This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
And soon they will own Yahoo, so they can suck even more.

Posts: 6365 | Location: Mom's Basement | Registered: February 28, 2003Report This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
They all suck, I hate AT&T as much as you hate Verizon.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 4284 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Report This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
at least they finished paying for the Spanish American War and took that tax off...

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 16111 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Report This Post