SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Skeet, sporting clays shooters-is there a source for target shells?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Skeet, sporting clays shooters-is there a source for target shells? Login/Join 
Smarter than the
average bear
posted
I understand the panic buying of 9mm, .223, etc., but I have a harder time understanding the unavailability of everything. A friend recently asked about shotgun shells, and to my surprise and dismay I cannot find any availability of 20 or 12 gauge shells, either target loads or just low brass 8 shot.

I imagine if you're a competitive shotgunner you are probably reloading. But does anyone know where a person could buy some shells?

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Our local Walmart has them.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Outdoor world has them too. Through all of these pandemics and Presidents, I’ve never seen #8 12 gauge or 20 gauge in short supply.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
In my neck of the woods, there are exactly 0 available anywhere.

I tried to order online and none to be found, I have a enough for a few months but then not sure what I will do, I don't reload and reloading components are the same as ammo unobtanium!

Nothing at Cabela's, Sportsman's Warehouse, North 40, or the local mom & pop shops.

I never thought I would see trap loads unavailable.

Archerman

Posts: 2486 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since your close. (I’m in Gonzales for work weekly)

I’ve got a Ponsness-Warren progressive set up for shooting trap and skeet. 12guage 1.25oz 7shot my favorite load, I’ve got all 12g loads handled with the bushings for about anything lead or bismuth. Steel loads on do on a single stage press

I’d be happy to put together to reload some for you

Find the recipe using remington STS or nitro hulls (I have hundreds of them, been in the attic for a while, I need to inspect integrity before I do anything). Bunch of AA also but those don’t reload as well for me

Provide components, we got ya taken care of

Email in profile.

I’ll make sure they not heat damaged and brittle

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I don't see any in my usual online places but I find them in stock at Walmart and cabelas everytime I go.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I was having luck through Bass Pro and a few other places up until a few weeks ago. Our club started letting members join into their bulk orders at a discounted price and by doing so have created better standing with their distributor. They expect the next order to arrive on a full semi truck. I’ve been rotating between 12, 20, and 28 as I’ve been able to find it. Neighbor grabbed some 20 at Walmart and was told they always had pallets full of 20. Now two weeks later it’s completely gone and they don’t know when more will show up. I probably have enough to get me through February at which point I’m promised 12 cases will show up for me in the first week of March.

Posts: 2959 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wall Mart had them until a few weeks ago now they are sold out everywhere. Its crazy, in every ammo panic so far I've never had a problem finding cheaper target shells. The only thing I've seen are a few boxes of 28ga shells.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3533 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am just outside of Cincinnati. It has been pretty dry around here, at my normal spots.

Posts: 2226 | Location: Lawrenceburg, In | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
I just sold my reloading stuff to a member kduly near Pensacola. He doesn't want to load shotgun and will sell the whole shebang: Lee 12 gauge press, 1/2 jug Clay Dot powder, 2 bags of #9 Magnum, 7000 primers, Win & Rem hulls, wad. You would have to come & get it, though.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two Super Walmarts within 10 miles of me and not only do they not have 12g Trap loads, they have empty shelves for all ammo. Last score on Estate Target loads was back in November. I have 625 rounds in the garage, enough for 6 weeks of shooting.

As to powder for loading, no problem just buy it online if you can find it for $28 a pound and add $20 hasmat shipping charges. That's real economical. Winchester 209 primers not available. Don't even think about shot.

Awake not woke

Posts: 567 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
I found some target shells at the local Walmart recently. They go fast when a shipment comes in.

Many sporting clay venues have shells available in the clubhouse, as well.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10491 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
My local Cabelas has been pretty good. 1 box per caliber per customer. I can usually find a case on a bottom shelf somewhere for about $80 for x250 rnds.

Lady at counter tried to protest once. I just said "It's one box". Big Grin

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8851 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain...
I've recently gotten back into clay shooting and inherited some reloading equipment. Supplies are tough to come by. Powder and primers seem to be the problem.

I recently bought shot here:
https://recobstargetshop.com/p...and-lead-shot-25lbs/

Recob's also sells loaded shotshells, but supplies are limited right now.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was in a local mom & pop shop yesterday, not a big place. They had a fair supply of shotshells, though I didn't see any 16 ga. Lots of big jugs of powder, maybe some 1#, didn't ask. Did have sign saying "No primers for anything." Good number of pistols, lots of long guns. All the box stores have been dry for months. "When it's cheap, stack it deep"

Posts: 1642 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Our HS coach contacted parents last week and explained that Federal has a program that sells direct to shooting groups. Current price for targe 8 shot is 53.00 per case (10), IIRC. Minimum of 25 cases per order, but if you each buy 5 like we did, solves that dilemma.

I also had some luck at Bass Pro a couple weeks ago, albeit was Herter's. Got a couple cases and paid about $60/case for it (you have to go to customer service and ask for the case price, otherwise sells for $6.99/box).

Last thought is, if you have a local shooting range you frequent, you might check into buying through them, even if a membership is needed. Might net a savings anyhow and let you bust more clays. Good luck!

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:

I’ve got a Ponsness-Warren progressive set up for shooting trap and skeet. 12guage 1.25oz 7shot my favorite load, I’ve got all 12g loads handled with the bushings for about anything lead or bismuth. Steel loads on do on a single stage press

Find the recipe using remington STS or nitro hulls (I have hundreds of them, been in the attic for a while, I need to inspect integrity before I do anything). Bunch of AA also but those don’t reload as well for me

Email in profile.

Thank you for the generous offer. And thanks for all the other replies as well.

I am not shooting that often and I have a couple of cases, so I'm good. A good friend in Destin has a friend, an older gentleman I think, who is looking for 20 gauge. I think he tries to shoot every week, and Walmart has been spotty.

I wouldn't mind adding to my supply as well, but as I'm still working for a living, I can't keep running by all the Walmarts every day hoping to get lucky.

Thus the question if I was missing any reliable source.

Lastly, my sister in law just asking me about 12 gauge for her church, which is looking for 9 cases for a church outing on private land.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:

Email in profile.

Unless you are licensed as an ammo manufacturer, I think doing what you propose is against the law. Technically, one cannot even supply ammo to a friend at a range that has been loaded by the giver (but enforcement of that is seldom attempted).

Now, if he comes to your place, you sell him components, and he uses your equipment to make the shells himself, that would be legal.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:

Email in profile.

Unless you are licensed as an ammo manufacturer, I think doing what you propose is against the law. Technically, one cannot even supply ammo to a friend at a range that has been loaded by the giver (but enforcement of that is seldom attempted).

Now, if he comes to your place, you sell him components, and he uses your equipment to make the shells himself, that would be legal.

flashguy

Yeah, you need a Type 6 FFL and would be wise to have a million dollar umbrella liability policy.

People frequently share reloads (for free) at the clay target fields around here.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by archerman:
In my neck of the woods, there are exactly 0 available anywhere.

I tried to order online and none to be found, I have a enough for a few months but then not sure what I will do, I don't reload and reloading components are the same as ammo unobtanium!

Nothing at Cabela's, Sportsman's Warehouse, North 40, or the local mom & pop shops.

I never thought I would see trap loads unavailable.

Have you looked at Black Sheep Sports in Coeur d'Alene? They seem to always have trap loads available.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post