SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is this?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is this? Login/Join 
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Well, it certainly resembles the ball end of a medieval mace, but I think it's too large for that. There would be some evidence of a way to attach a chain to it, also--to the iron band. Maybe it was some kind of projectile, as suggested in an earlier post.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RaiseHal
posted Hide Post
Sewer cleaning ball?

It's a shame that youth is wasted on the young --- Mark Twain

Anyone who is not a liberal by age 20 has no heart; anyone who is not a conservative by age 40 has no brain---Winston Churchill

Posts: 4650 | Location: The Free State of Georgia | Registered: August 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Well, it certainly resembles the ball end of a medieval mace, but I think it's too large for that. There would be some evidence of a way to attach a chain to it, also--to the iron band. Maybe it was some kind of projectile, as suggested in an earlier post.

flashguy

That was my guess. Looks like some game of thrones shit.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
Not many "what is this" threads stump the forum for 3 pages.

If iron was available the wood could be intentional. Buoyancy perhaps?

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 1991 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I'll ask my friend, Ben Wa. I am sure he knows...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
Ok, a fellow has told me it's used to break up chain mail when it's gotten corroded. I suppose in a tub, sack or something like that. I don't know for certain myself but that makes some sense. The guy said he hasn't seen one in a long long time.like he's seen one before.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I don't know what it I, but your original guess was the same as mine. Reminded me of this great scene from one of my favorite movies, lol:

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
If the band has no attachment points on it, then it's purpose is the reinforce the wood. This might mean it is subject to forces during use.

Possibly put into a tumbling vat to dehair hides? Seems too aggressive for that, and would damage the hides.

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blueye:
Kidney stone, at least that's what it felt like.

Oh, Yes!

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Those were used for clearing out the long product and vent pipes to and from grain silos.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
It was to be the core for the worlds largest ball of twine.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 715 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
Those were used for clearing out the long product and vent pipes to and from grain silos.

This one gets my vote !! Smile

Posts: 1264 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
I don't know what it I, but your original guess was the same as mine. Reminded me of this great scene from one of my favorite movies, lol:

Slight drift, what's the movie?

Posts: 1817 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Hot Fuzz

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mjlennon:

Hot Fuzz!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cun-LZvOTdw

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:
Originally posted by mjlennon:

Hot Fuzz!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cun-LZvOTdw
One of the funniest movies I've ever seen! The metamorphosis of the cop is just awesome!

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post