SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is this?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is this? Login/Join 
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Old school medicine ball

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15559 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just guessing....I wonder if it is a gadget for cattle to scratch their backs ??? I've seen modern devices that are hung in pastures for cattle to walk under and rub against to scratch their backs. ( some of these actually seem to dispense some sort of insecticide)…
Just a WAG !!

Posts: 1272 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Lawn dart?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blueye:
Kidney stone, at least that's what it felt like.

No kidding!!

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I have never seen anything like it, but my first guess is that it was used for milling/processing something in a rotary tumbler to break it down into smaller pieces. Around where I live in a 19th century mining town we sometimes find small iron balls that were tumbled with ore in … “ball mills” to break it down for further refining. I have one such ball about 2 inches in diameter.

They are actually called grinding balls, made in a ball mill.I previously managed such a facility, made from 1" through 5 1/2" grinding balls. They are still used to today in breaking down and refining ores.

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
midevil catapult weapon! Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigWhup:
quote:
I have never seen anything like it, but my first guess is that it was used for milling/processing something in a rotary tumbler to break it down into smaller pieces. Around where I live in a 19th century mining town we sometimes find small iron balls that were tumbled with ore in … “ball mills” to break it down for further refining. I have one such ball about 2 inches in diameter.

They are actually called grinding balls, made in a ball mill.I previously managed such a facility, made from 1" through 5 1/2" grinding balls. They are still used to today in breaking down and refining ores.

Not doubting you for a minute, but when I google "grinding balls", all I see are smooth metal balls. Any idea if there's an online source where I can verify the existence of the antique wooden, iron studded type?

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Are the spikes wood or metal (iron)?

Posts: 9035 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
If it is a “grinding ball” of some sort, I would expect that it wasn’t intended for breaking down rocky ore material, but rather some other substance, perhaps even plant material. Whatever that material was, it’s quite possible that other methods are used today.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
A large medieval flail waeapon.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12423 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Try contacting these folks. Betcha they know.

https://laurelleaffarm.com/ite...ls/antique-tools.htm

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Thermal Detonator

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
Are the spikes wood or metal (iron)?

Iron - same as the band around it.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:
Originally posted by BigWhup:
quote:

Not doubting you for a minute, but when I google "grinding balls", all I see are smooth metal balls. Any idea if there's an online source where I can verify the existence of the antique wooden, iron studded type?

-Rob

Sorry for misleading you, I was referring to the comment by sigfreud relating to the balls he was speaking of, which are smooth steel balls, as you found.

They are typical placed in large tumblers, (think larger than a concrete mixing truck). along with ore. As the ore and balls are tumbled together the ore is pulverized by the balls into a much finer mixture. That mixture is then ran through a process which separates gold, silver and other materials from the mixture.

I don't know what your find is.

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
It simulates marriage. You don't put in in your ass, you just imagine if it were there.

Posts: 7451 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Haveme1or2:
I wonder if it's a navel mine?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik...l_mine#Contact_mines

From my original post:

I suggested it might be a salesman's sample of a naval contact mine.

LOL.

-Rob

A=A

Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
trebuchet projectile ball !

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Early model of the Death Star?

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike28w:
Just guessing....I wonder if it is a gadget for cattle to scratch their backs ??? I've seen modern devices that are hung in pastures for cattle to walk under and rub against to scratch their backs. ( some of these actually seem to dispense some sort of insecticide)…
Just a WAG !!

That was my guess.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post