SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is this?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is this? Login/Join 
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted
Mrs.BurtonRW and I spent the day antiquing in Columbia, PA, and ran across this little oddity sitting at the front counter of one of the shops.

The proprietor has no idea what it is and he hasn't found anyone who has been able to tell him either.

I suggested it might be a salesman's sample of a naval contact mine. I was joking, of course, but I also wasn't the first person to suggest it.

Anyone have any idea? There's no prize for getting it right - just bragging rights.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am guessing some type of soil aeration device? Those crazy Amish are always trying to reinvent the wheel.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
I am guessing some type of soil aeration device? Those crazy Amish are always trying to reinvent the wheel.

That was the first thing that popped into my head as well. No idea if I’m right though.

Posts: 3519 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:

We thought of that, too, but there's no hole for any kind of axle, no loop or bail to attach it to anything... it would be a matter of tossing it across the lawn - and the spikes, aside from being uneven in length, aren't nearly long enough for that anyway.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I have never seen anything like it, but my first guess is that it was used for milling/processing something in a rotary tumbler to break it down into smaller pieces. Around where I live in a 19th century mining town we sometimes find small iron balls that were tumbled with ore in … “ball mills” to break it down for further refining. I have one such ball about 2 inches in diameter.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Old school dodgeball. People were tougher back then.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Kidney stone, at least that's what it felt like.

Posts: 5300 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Or...it could be used against those pesky war elephants.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Old timey sex toy.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30658 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I have no idea what it is.
But have y’all ever thought that somebody, several decades back, just thought one day “I’m gonna build something just to make future generations ask questions.”?

With unlimited funds, I’d seriously consider building a giant left foot out of concrete near a property line on my place. Then, years from now, archaeologists would shut down the entire area looking for the right foot.....
Probably just one reason i don’t need extra money.
Anyway, sorry for the thread drift.

Posts: 6303 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are the metal spines that are under the wooden part actually anchored in metal or just "pushed" in the wood?

Posts: 537 | Registered: March 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine says maybe a buoy used inside a bell buoy for striking noise.

Posts: 537 | Registered: March 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Dryer ball prototype

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MagicHorse:
Are the metal spines that are under the wooden part actually anchored in metal or just "pushed" in the wood?

Hard to tell, but since they vary in length and some are nearly flush with the surface, I'm going to assume they're all driven in.

I like the "ball mill" idea. Columbia has no shortage of old industrial buildings. If it's a local artifact, that might make sense.

I like the striker idea, too, but again - no apparent way to suspend it.

-Rob

A=A

Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
19th century yoga ball.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3964 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Honestly, I don’t know, but it looks like it could be used in a threshing machine of some kind.

Posts: 13253 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Honestly, I don’t know, but it looks like it could be used in a threshing machine of some kind.

That was my thought also....

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2088 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
WOW ! That's interesting.
I'm also thinking it may have tumbled around inside an area.
Doesn't tanning hides uses tumbling?

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
No readily apparent attachment point(s) might indicate it was free-floating/tumbling.
I like the ball mill and threshing machine ideas, or perhaps a spray paint can agitator prototype.
I don’t know what purpose the iron ring served; maybe to help hold the wood together?

ETA: I didn't notice the gloved hands in the second picture at first. Now I know the approximate size.

Posts: 4817 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
I have no idea what it is.
But have y’all ever thought that somebody, several decades back, just thought one day “I’m gonna build something just to make future generations ask questions.”?

I'm thinking this also. Maybe just a conversation piece.
When I look at it, I can't see any use for it really.
Maybe I'm wrong. Gonna set notifications for this thread in the event someone does know its use. Interesting for sure.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post