SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    65 and on Medicare or getting close? Too much income will increase your premiums.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

65 and on Medicare or getting close? Too much income will increase your premiums. Login/Join 
posted
Do not let your Modified Adjusted Gross Income (MAGI) get over $170K, your Medicare premiums will go up for a minimum of two years. We just learned that today from our financial advisor, details here:

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10536.pdf

There's no way our pensions and SS get us close to $170K, but we've been drawing $$ from our IRA (non-Roth) to fund lots of international travel and it's taxable income. Right now we pay $134/month each for Part B premiums, page 5 of the link shows how much it wwould increase up with MAGI over $170K. And we'd be stuck with this for two years before we can appeal! I'm not an expert (not even close), that's why we have a financial advisor.

This article addresses the issue and other Medicare concerns:

https://www.fedsmith.com/2018/...planning-retirement/

I miss JALLEN already, I know he could explain this better.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't comment on this exactly. But my current monthly premium for health care is $3000+. So if medicare (when I get there) charges me $3000 more per year because I'm liquidating my IRA in a given year for some reason and exceed the $170K I would be happy as underneath I don't have that 3K.
Win win as they say.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I'm safe. Big Grin

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good to know. I'm in a somewhat odd position where I can draw IRA cash now, but I'm not eligible for medicare for several years. We're not yet ready for the big travel spending, so I will talk to my broker about withdrawals now to accrue funding and move it to taxable accounts. Thanks!

Posts: 17140 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A variation of this happened to me when I retired at age 70. They came to me and said they had looked at my tax return from two years ago and were going to charge me the higher amount. I argued that my income was now greatly reduced from two years ago. They relented and kept me at the lower amount. Guess I dodged the bullet.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a first world problem: your income’s too high so you’ll have to pay a surcharge on top of a $134 monthly bill for Medicare B. Not exactly a real pressing problem to have!

Posts: 1178 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
If my annual income is over $170K I will be happy to pay the increase.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, this has been going on for some time. It is a sneaky way of increasing taxes on those that have worked hard. I expect to see more of this sort of thing.

Posts: 17225 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I suffer that big extra charge. Medicare Part B costs me $300+/mo. Part D is more too. But it’s a “grin and bear it” situation.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
Go out and buy private insurance and see what it costs you.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post