SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any South Carolina Parole Agents? Looking for advice (SCPPP employment)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any South Carolina Parole Agents? Looking for advice (SCPPP employment) Login/Join 
Picture of SIGguy229
posted
Any SC PPP Agents about? (or any other parole officers/agents?)

I'm looking to retire from the military after 25 years and make a career change. I have an opportunity to take a similar position I'm currently working in, but as a civil servant making 90% of my current salary.

However, talking to a friend of a friend who works for SC Department of Probation, Parole, and Pardon Services--they are looking for Parole Agents (attend SC Criminal Justice Academy; full LEO authority, benefits, etc.)

I have an opportunity to "ride along" (so to speak)...and I have a bit of time before I have to make a decision. This job will involve person-to-person contact with parolees in the field.

Anyone work in a similar job? Have any insights? I can't find definitive info on salary--and I'm doing some research before I start asking questions to HR.

Posts: 1721 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
I know a few people who have or do work for PPP here in SC. I don’t have any direct insight into the daily jobs functions though. Starting pay is pretty low, at $38k. Here is the current job listing:
https://agency.governmentjobs....E%3C%2FwddxPacket%3E

Wow, I didn’t realize the link was quite that long!!

Posts: 1626 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I spoke with a few in the past and they all seemed to like it. I will say that their starting pay is better than here in NC ($34,500). I have applied to a couple of positions in SC but I haven't heard anything back yet.

I was offered a position here in NC but at that time I could not afford to live in the area that they were posting me on that starting salary.

I had a friend who worked Probation and Parole for the state of Ohio and he really enjoyed. It was a good mix of office and field work. His biggest regret was that he left that office and went into case management where it was all office work.

I am not sure about SC but I know here in NC they wear 5'11 and polo shirts but I heard that might be changing.

I know most of the time the PPO's work an 8-430 schedule but I think they have to work a Saturday here or there and one or two 2-10 shifts per month.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Probation/Parole jobs can be great non-traditional LE gigs. They tend towards "banker's hours" most of the time (8-5 M-F), with only occasional evening/weekend/holiday work. And the office/court/field split potentially offers some nice flexibility, allowing you to partly tailor your workday around your mood, the weather, etc. to some extent. (No getting stuck directing traffic in the freezing rain for hours!)

Probation/Parole work is not for those young, gung-ho kids looking for a LE job so they can drive a cool car really fast, shoot guns, chase bad guys, look dashing in their uniform, etc. The LE side of their role is often very much secondary to their other duties, unless you happen to eventually land a specialized spot on something like a fugitive apprehension team. But for someone like you, who's older and more mature, that secondary LE role can actually be a positive. I know a number of officers who switched partway through their careers from patrol officer jobs to probation/parole, for a less demanding LE job. I also think older, more experienced folks are more apt to be good at striking that necessary balance between working with the parolees/probationers towards rehabilitation, and protecting the community.

The downside is that the tone of probation/parole jobs can vary wildly, based on the policies and mindset of each agency, so it's good that you have contacts within that agency and can get a feel for its environment beforehand. For example, some Probation/Parole agencies are hamstrung by various frustrating policies, with prison overcrowding leading to directives from above to basically never arrest/revoke anyone. Some agencies have gone into full-on "hug a thug" babysitter/counselor mode. And some agencies are so overworked/understaffed that their officers are absolutely drowning in cases.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
OP, where are you located in SC?

A guy I work with is retired from the SCPPP and he is now in SC meat and poultry inspection compliance with me.

He is in the Upstate area, email me and I'll see if he would be willing to answer questions.

Chris

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine retired with 20 years plus on the job as a Parole Officer in MA.

He enjoyed it most of the time.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Troll
posted Hide Post
To each his own.

I wouldn't care to rub elbows with low life's on a daily basis.

But then, I wouldn't work in a prison or jail either, but some thrive on such work.

It would kill my soul to constantly be around such human vermin.

Posts: 261 | Registered: May 02, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nframe:
OP, where are you located in SC?

A guy I work with is retired from the SCPPP and he is now in SC meat and poultry inspection compliance with me.

He is in the Upstate area, email me and I'll see if he would be willing to answer questions.

Chris

Chris...PM sent

Posts: 1721 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post