SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wife bought a 2018 Subaru Forester XT yesterday
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wife bought a 2018 Subaru Forester XT yesterday Login/Join 
posted
And hit a deer on the drive home from the dealer, Boardman Subaru. She only put 18 miles on it. Did about $4,000 dollars damage to the front driver’s side. Thankfully there is no mechanical damage that we could find.

Someone else hit a deer on 11 this morning and it came through the windshield and ended up in their laps.

I just bought a 2017 Ford 3.5 supercrew last week and the new Forester was her part of the deal.

Really sucks!

Sgt. USMC 1970 - 1973

Posts: 411 | Location: Columbiana, Ohio  | Registered: May 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
That does suck. But, if you are keeping it for a while get a top notch repair and drive it til it pukes.

If you can't live with it, trade it on another new one when repaired.

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
That sucks.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
What a heartbreak.
She doesn't have a new car anymore.
I'd see about repairing it properly, trade it in and see if I could swing a new one.

It was probably worse for the deer, but still.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31425 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take it back to the dealer. Have your wife tell them it came from the factory like that. Demand a replacement.

Posts: 203 | Registered: August 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Already tried the dealer route, they didn’t want to play.

Sgt. USMC 1970 - 1973

Posts: 411 | Location: Columbiana, Ohio  | Registered: May 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
What a heartbreak.
She doesn't have a new car anymore.
I'd see about repairing it properly, trade it in and see if I could swing a new one.

It was probably worse for the deer, but still.

I see this statement all the time and it is soooooo misinformed. Find a quality body shop (generally NOT a dealer shop) and you will get a car put back together with better care than when new.

OE paint on new vehicles is absolute shit. Period. The paint the body shop uses will hold up better than the junk from the factory that is applied as thin as possible using equipment that basically never stops running.

Posts: 2189 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mas4363:
Already tried the dealer route, they didn’t want to play.

Those bastards!

Glad the wife is ok. Sorry about your car.

Posts: 203 | Registered: August 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We are taking it to the best independent shop in the area and they specialize in Subaru’s. They also have a new state of the art paint shop.

Everything will be replaced with new Subaru OEM parts. Should be like new when completed. I don’t see any long term issues as long as there isn’t any mechanical damage.

The spike buck jumped just as it was hit and was hit high on drivers side. Messed up the hood, drivers side headlight, drivers side front fender and The grill and front bumper.

Could have been worst.

Sgt. USMC 1970 - 1973

Quirky Lurker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tdp113530:
Take it back to the dealer. Have your wife tell them it came from the factory like that. Demand a replacement.

So, you think it appropriate to downright lie. Sad state of affairs when it becomes ok to lie to get something one is not,entitled to.

OP, sorry about the bad luck. With factory parts she will be as good,as new.

Posts: 869 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolffy88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JDSigManiac:
quote:
Originally posted by tdp113530:

So, you think it appropriate to downright lie. Sad state of affairs when it becomes ok to lie to get something one is not,entitled to.

Really missed that sarcasm, didn't you?

-wolff

"In the absence of light, darkness prevails." - Professor Bruttenholm

Posts: 2103 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
My 16 year old rear ended another kid in my brand new, (1500 miles) 2005 Nissan Frontier.

Best body shop in town, still driving it today, and zero issues.

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
That really sucks. Hope she is allright.

A few months ago around here a guy hit a Deer in the morning when going down about a 50 MPH county road. The Deer ended up going into the air and over to the opposite lane. When a lady on her way to work had it go through the windshield of her Ford Transit Connect. She died on impact with the Deer.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
During my years on the Hwy Patrol...Had a guy with a new, $60K Mercedes hit a mtn sheep at 80-90 mph. TOTALLED the Benz. IIRC less than 400 miles.

Another guy with a new Dodge, diesel P/U who hit a mature elk , again at high speed, that had about FIFTY miles on it.

And I had the windshield in my new VW GTI broken by a golf ball sized rock with less than 50 miles on it.

So I can feel the pain...somewhat. Best of luck with the repairs. Sounds like you will be in good shape afterwards...Good shop, etc. Still a shame on a new vehicle.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
Glad your wife is OK and wasn't hurt. Car damage can be fixed.

When we are coming back from our road trip this summer from Vancouver BC (motorhome pulling a car), we ended up driving through some National Forest Highway. It was unplanned. We were looking for a rest area or campground to rest for the night. Didn't find any. Ended up driving for about 100 miles in the dark. Along the way, we saw about 7-10 dead deer along the highway. Some are almost as big as a cow.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did you get to keep the deer?

Posts: 783 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A Police Officer put it down. He shot it in the head with a 40. Amazingly it sat back up for a minute or two and then fell back and died.

They called someone on a list they had that came and got it to process.

We could have kept it, but I did not want it.

Sgt. USMC 1970 - 1973

Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your Bad luck. We had the windshield on the Toyota replaced the other day. It lasted about 15 miles before a truck threw a rock and pitted it. Why even bother.......

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to travel Illinois Route 25 at night, it wasn't unusual to see dead deer. I had to laugh one night, though, when I saw a guy with a Toyota P/U with a camper cap, a still-smoking deer strung high above the rear bumper, gut pile on the ground, big sharp knife in his hand, his buddy holding a flashlight.

This was before Lymes disease was an issue here.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I had owned a Harley Davidson Vrod (my first Harley) for 3 days. I took it through inspection and was on my way to pick up my tags when a guy in a jeep pulled out in front of me and I went for a short flight with a hard landing. Miraculously I was mostly unhurt. $4500 later, the bike was repaired to like new. I actually wish the damage had been just a bit worse. It would have prevented me from having to deal with constant stator problems and oil leaks over the next 2 years that I owned that bike.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post