SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help from Sigforum cell phone data experts. Give up old grandfathered unlimited data service?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help from Sigforum cell phone data experts. Give up old grandfathered unlimited data service? Login/Join 
Picture of EasyFire
posted
I currently have 3 grandfathered true unlimited data service phones at a monthly cost of just under $300 per month. These are furnished to 2 other family members who also lived in rural areas without decent internet service. I run about 200 gigs per month data. My son and daughter use about 30 to 40 gigs per month each. Everybody has moved to locations with good internet service so the true unlimited data plans may no longer be the only options.

I have been talking with Verizon so I can get my cell bill down. Here is the information I have gotten from a very knowledgeable 2nd level tech support guy who advises to keep the grandfathered unlimited service on at least my own phone.

The new unlimited data service offers 22 gigabytes (FROM YOUR CELL PHONE DIRECTLY – NON HOTSPOT CONNECTION) of priority service then drops to a non-priority service level if other priority eligible service customers are trying to use the service. Non-priority speed levels are equivalent to 3G or as he stated .667 megabits per second.

3G will handle email and slow log into non-pictured websites acceptably; it will give very slow and significant unacceptable pausing on streaming of video.

HOTSPOT CONNECTION using your phone to connection your computer, tablet or non-cell phone device is limited to 10 Gig for the balance of your billing period. In other words, once you use up 10 Gig of hotspot connection, you are limited to a very slow connection speed (3G) until you get a new billing period. It does not go back to a fast connection speed when non priority users are not claiming space.

At my new location I can get hardwired internet service no caps with an acceptable speed of 7 megs for about $40 per month. Plus about $100 per month for the new unlimited data plan with voice. Total of $140. Keeping one line of grandfathered unlimited service is about $160.00.

Should I let 2 lines go or let all 3 lines go and save an additional $20 per month? I do not know anyone could use the now extra 2 lines of old grandfathered service, but I just hate to give them as long as I have had them. So far I have been able to outfox Verizon.

Help me decide what to do…. Please

EasyFire

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dead_Eye
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure I understand the math. $300 for 3 lines with truly unlimited data vs. dropping all 3 lines and getting hardwired service to save $20. Seems like giving up a lot to save $20. Moreover, I didn't see any math on what your kids would have to pay for internet service and if they reimburse you for phone/internet service.

Beware the man who has one gun because he probably knows how to use it.

Posts: 368 | Location: Somplace with cold drinks and warm women | Registered: May 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EasyFire:
At my new location I can get hardwired internet service no caps with an acceptable speed of 7 megs for about $40 per month. Plus about $100 per month for the new unlimited data plan with voice. Total of $140. Keeping one line of grandfathered unlimited service is about $160.00.

Only you know if keeping that one unlimited data line is worth $20/mo. Personally: I'm all about saving where I reasonably can, and that's one place I could save, because neither my wife nor I use hardly any data at all. We have 1GB each, and rarely tap more than 10-20% of that.

To keep that truly unlimited line, don't you have to buy your device(s), outright? If you're like the average mobile user, that means a significant outlay every couple years.

Right now our "connectivity" tab comes to:

• Two wireless phones, unlimited talk and text, 1GB data/line, international long-distance package on one line, "free" third line (taxes and fees only) with a 6GB data limit: $90/mo.
  • Cable Internet, 50/10mb/s business class, with one static IP address, no cap: $85/mo.
  • VoIP land-line service, two lines, unlimited incoming, 1000 minutes of U.S. calling, reduced-rate long-distance: $22/mo.

So about $200/mo. for all of it, taxes fees and all.

I could bring that down by about $50-$60/mo. if we were to give up the 3rd nearly free wireless line, drop to residential Internet service and drop the VoIP service. SWMBO insists on keeping the land-line and I insist on keeping the business class Internet service. So here we are Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
My wife arrived in France yesterday with her iPhone on an international plan. This morning, she is getting text messages from Verizon that she is over 500MB, in less than 24 hours!

How can someone go >500 MB in one day? At $25/100MB.

The plan for all 4 phones is 8GB and we rarely exceed 6GB.

What's using all those MBs all of a sudden?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
I would recommend keeping your grandfathered plan, at least on your phone. Once you have your hard line set up, look at your usage after a couple of months and see if it still makes sense to keep the unlimited plan. If not, ditch it then. If it were me and $20 was the only difference between the two, I would keep the grandfathered plan.

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
My wife arrived in France yesterday with her iPhone on an international plan. This morning, she is getting text messages from Verizon that she is over 500MB, in less than 24 hours!

How can someone go >500 MB in one day? At $25/100MB.

Hmmm... iPhone with iTunes and iCloud Drive, perhaps? Took a bunch of photos and it's doing its automatic backup thing? (I think you can set that to "on WiFi only?")

quote:
The plan for all 4 phones is 8GB and we rarely exceed 6GB.

Over 1.5GB/device per month? That's ±50MB/day per device.

quote:
What's using all those MBs all of a sudden?

If she's taking more than "her 1/4" of that 6GB/mo.: You have your answer.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

To keep that truly unlimited line, don't you have to buy your device(s), outright? If you're like the average mobile user, that means a significant outlay every couple years.

Apparently that purchase the phone outright is no longer in play. I just order one on line at the monthly rate and it appears. Smile I love screwing with Verizon. But it requires careful consideration of all factors. That is why this thread has appeared.

I knew years ago that unlimited high speed data was a bad idea for the cell companies and I was correct. This new unlimited somewhat high speed plan that is offered is nothing more than medicine man snake oil. Notice how the unlimited hotspot WiFi really works. Useless!

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the OP: we have four phones on an unlimited plan through ATT. Through the years we have considered changing plans but have held onto our original plan. Through the years we have been able to ask for and get a better rate with the same plan. We're learning to go in every few months and ask, they don't allows tell you if there is something better to be done.

For JALLEN: My wife and older son(the Aggie) just returned from 2 weeks in Spain seeing our younger son (the teasip). The had the international plans from ATT. At DFW, before departure, they had a session turning on airplane mode as well going into settings, cellular usage, and turning off those ancillary apps. In Spain, they then turned back on those specific apps, safari/google maps/etc. to use during the day. Equally critical was staying on airplane mode, and or using the apps only when necessary. Also in addition to the ATT international plans, we used an app called WhatsApp. Popular in Europe, it allows voice over internet phone, if you can go through a wifi connection, the calls are free.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1526 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BGULL:
For the OP: we have four phones on an unlimited plan through ATT. Through the years we have considered changing plans but have held onto our original plan. Through the years we have been able to ask for and get a better rate with the same plan. We're learning to go in every few months and ask, they don't always tell you if there is something better to be done.

For JALLEN: My wife and older son(the Aggie) just returned from 2 weeks in Spain seeing our younger son (the teasip). The had the international plans from ATT. At DFW, before departure, they had a session turning on airplane mode as well going into settings, cellular usage, and turning off those ancillary apps. In Spain, they then turned back on those specific apps, safari/google maps/etc. to use during the day. Equally critical was staying on airplane mode, and or using the apps only when necessary. Also in addition to the ATT international plans, we used an app called WhatsApp. Popular in Europe, it allows voice over internet phone, if you can go through a wifi connection, the calls are free.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1526 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a legacy "unlimited plan" with ATT when they bought my original carrier. It's been a plan since before smart phones. They offer me the sun and the moon every time I get a new phone Every 2-3 years to change. No thanks. It's a family plan for me and my wife for about 185 a month. I also get about half of that in a tax free reimbursement from work every month as well. I spend 2 hours a day on the commute train listening to Spotify and reading sigforum and other websites and watching YouTube. I use it only lunch hour as well. I'm using quite a few Gb a month and occasionally get the nasty txt from att that they will throttle me and I text them back to look up what unlimited means. And I'm in the Bay Area where I almost always have 4g with full bars so I don't use public wifi

I wouldn't change unless your coverage got way better.

Posts: 4755 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I've cme up with a rule of thumb for use when AT&T tells me they're gonna save me money. I don't do whatever they're suggesting. It always ends up biting me on the ass. I developed this rule when they said they could save me money if we got rid of our grandfathered unlimited plan.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post