SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    British Father and Son Find Dozens of Guns Fishing with Magnets
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

British Father and Son Find Dozens of Guns Fishing with Magnets Login/Join 
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted
Looks like a fun hobby. Pretty amazing finds!

https://www.gunsamerica.com/bl...ishing-with-magnets/

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
What type magnet would work best?

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8351 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
What type magnet would work best?

I don't know. These guys used a large electromagnet, but I'm sure other varieties would work.

Here's a little more on the story:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/new...pons-trawling-river/

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure why they are so excited. Rusted, non operable, yet they still have to be destroyed. Just a sad reminder of good citizens giving up there freedoms.

Posts: 437 | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Wow! I was actually considering doing something similar near bridges on the Elizabeth river. There's gotta be some highpoints waiting to be rescued near Norfolk and Portsmouth.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Must have been a whole bunch of tragic boating accidents there.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9156 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking the East River/Hudson River of Manhattan, there's probably lots of weapons tossed there...

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8351 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
interesting

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably was an IRA cache of guns discarded when Ireland's rebel faction and England made peace.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
See, I told you I lost them all in a boating accident!

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5282 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
Probably was an IRA cache of guns discarded when Ireland's rebel faction and England made peace.

That was mentioned in the article. Also expanded my vocabulary to include "The Troubles", so my time at SF has served me well again today.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
Never knew there was a 5.56 FAL variant, cool.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Is it me, or did some of those look cut in half.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looks like a fun hobby. Pretty amazing finds

Interesting. Thanks for posting.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KPSquared
posted Hide Post
What they called a M16 in one picture is really an AR10 (original version).

Thanks,
KPSquared

Posts: 805 | Location: Ft. Knox, KY | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KPSquared:
What they called a M16 in one picture is really an AR10 (original version).

Yup, probably Dutch in origin. It has the CH inside the carry handle.

Better photo of an original here:
https://www.rockislandauction....e-inrichtengen-ar-10

I tell people that the original AR carry handles were actually designed to protect the CH from inadvertent operation (like a trigger guard for the charging handle). I usually get blank stares back.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
When I did the Missouri River 340 canoe race in August, one of the resupply points was Boonville, Missouri. When I pulled up there was a cop at the bottom of the ramp and a guy wading like he was looking for something. Found 3 guns real quick in a couple of feet of water. They put them on a rock and were taking pictures of them and carefully put them in evidence bags.

Didn't have time to look and see what kind of pistols as I had to repair a leak in my canoe and hop back on the water. A one hour stop including letting the epoxy patch cure.

Posts: 7453 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
The Charles River, under the Boston University Bridge, might produce some interesting magnet fishing results.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
turns out that people over there pull out coins on a regular basis.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54626 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post