SIGforum
Experiences with Slip 2000 “Carbon Killer”—?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/1400050574

September 28, 2020, 04:19 PM
sigfreund
Experiences with Slip 2000 “Carbon Killer”—?
I frequently use cleaners identified as specialized carbon removers for a couple of purposes, but neither type I’ve tried worked remarkably well. I know that Slip 2000 products have many fans, so I’m curious what they think of the “Carbon Killer.” The reason I ask rather than just experimenting myself is the rather dire warnings about finish damage that accompany the stuff. It supposedly should not be used on traditional blued finishes or anodizing (among others), but how about the SIG Nitron finish commonly used on stainless steel slides? If I use it for bore cleaning, would it remove the finish from steel flash hiders?

Thanks for all replies.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
September 28, 2020, 05:18 PM
Stlhead
I use carbon killer quite often. You should go ahead with the experiment, I have not seen it affect any finishes adversely and in fact think that those warnings are just boilerplate in case of misuse. But your results may vary. As this is posted in the lounge what exactly had you planned on cleaning with it? I have only used it on rifles pistols and shotguns.
September 28, 2020, 05:24 PM
sigfreund
Thanks for your insights.

I posted it here because we don't have a general "maintenance" section (not that we should) and I would be using it on both handguns and long guns. I wanted to avoid responses pertaining to only one type. I use carbon removers on handgun breech faces and in rifle bores.

Other experiences?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
September 29, 2020, 06:34 AM
arfmel
I used it to soak the gas system parts on my wife’s Beretta semiauto shotgun. I’d leave the parts immersed overnight and then rinse them off with water and brush them with an old toothbrush. It worked great and never did any apparent damage to the parts, which were either stainless or hard chromed.