SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Nativity Scenes and "Merry Christmas"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nativity Scenes and "Merry Christmas" Login/Join 
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted
Every weekday morning, I drive through the nice, little town of New Boston on my way to work, in the dark these days, and on the way home at dusk, if I am lucky...

On the way home, recently, I saw a township truck parked by the edge of an open area, as a worker was putting up decorations around a nativity scene. Shocked ! ! ! Eek Eek Eek

Almost cannot recall seeing a nativity scene in the past decade. Over the next few days, several more appeared. There are now at least three in the same general area along the road to work.

Also, as we are obviously shopping more these days, it seems that the staff at many places are no longer hesitant to say, "Merry Christmas." For more than a decade now, I've been making a point of saying, "Merry Christmas," when we are out and it's usually always after some store employee is under directions to say the dreaded 'happy holidays,' but over time, they seem to have been allowed to respond in kind. Lately, it seems that the staff in the stores are not feeling they are not allowed to say, "Merry Christmas" beforehand. It's now even to the point that we are all saying it over and over again, even in the same store.

It's wonderful ! Big Grin

We're seeing *Christmas* more and more here and 'happy holidays' less and less.

Really, it's as though an enormous weight has been lifted from folks around here.

"God Bless us, everyone!" Smile

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have noticed it too.

It's like people are more comfortable expressing the reason for the season now. All hail Baby Jesus!

The chains of political correctness are being released. Essentially full of stupidity, since the term holiday is etymologically derived from Holy day.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I think we are witnessing the power and influence of the president. When we had a PC minded president we were oppressed by the culture he created. I think free willed people are eager to press against the soft tyranny of Stampy Feet and assert their liberty.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29683 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
I think we are witnessing the power and influence of the president. When we had a PC minded president we were oppressed by the culture he created. I think free willed people are eager to press against the soft tyranny of Stampy Feet and assert their liberty.

link

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10703 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I agree. We're free once again to be Americans and religious if we wish.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link Synthplayer. I bought one to wear home to the family gathering in Boston in a few weeks. Smile

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Hope you only got the sweater...that nightshirt might be a bit controversial Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
Thanks for the link Synthplayer. I bought one to wear home to the family gathering in Boston in a few weeks. Smile

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We've had a nativity outside for years. Doesn't matter who the president is. No one has ever made it an issue, either.

--------------------------------------

Posts: 3477 | Location: Central California | Registered: April 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redwood25:
We've had a nativity outside for years. Doesn't matter who the president is. No one has ever made it an issue, either.

That is wonderful.

What struck me most was that this was the township's nativity scene Smile

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redwood25:

Is that community or private display?

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29683 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post