SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Austin, TX members -- questions (Answered, Thanks all)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Austin, TX members -- questions (Answered, Thanks all) Login/Join 
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted
I have to be at the Texas DPS for a licensing exam on June 19.

How is the public transpo in the area? I'll mainly be concerned about traveling to and from the airport, my hotel (probably Crown Plaza), and the DPS.

I'm considering NOT renting a car as I usually do.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: striker1,

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Is there any?

I know it is illegal to shoot Indians from street cars in Austin, but the trouble is there are no street cars, that I know of.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
Hi RB,

I don't live in Austin anymore, but ...

The DPS office on S Interstate 35?

From the Austin airport, it's a 25-30 min trip by car.

Public transport, will see you bussing it for about 75 mins ... from the airport you'll first go north to Riverside, change then south on I-35 to DPS.

If at the Crown Plaza by Mike Myers Stadium ... still gonna be about 75 mins, with one bus line change, down S I-35

Wear your bus pants.

Enjoy that license exam ...

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cjevans:
Hi RB,

I don't live in Austin anymore, but ...

The DPS office on S Interstate 35?

From the Austin airport, it's a 25-30 min trip by car.

Public transport, will see you bussing it for about 75 mins ... from the airport you'll first go north to Riverside, change then south on I-35 to DPS.

If at the Crown Plaza by Mike Myers Stadium ... still gonna be about 75 mins, with one bus line change, down S I-35

Wear your bus pants.

Enjoy that license exam ...

Ugh. Screw that.

Renting a car.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think uber is back in Austin. Might be an alternative.

Posts: 758 | Registered: March 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
A cab wouldn't be too bad if that's the only important trip you're going to make.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
If you can get Uber or Lyft there again that's what I'd do. The traffic in Austin is horrendous.

https://www.texastribune.org/2...rning-austin-monday/

Posts: 26901 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
My hotel is 1.5 mi from TXDPS, so that's good.

My trip from/to the airport isn't rushed so I think I'll be good. Besides, I'm used to Chicagoland traffic. Smile

RB

Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
There is a bus from the airport to downtown. Cheap but slow and not luggage friendly. I believe the hotels have have shuttles.

There is also a DPS station on North Lamar at Koenig (2222). Which one will you needing?

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
The licensing is done at Denson off i35

RB

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
you're much better off with a vehicle of your own.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
in Austin, just rent a car. At least you can sit in traffic in peace, listening to KLBJ and not smelling whatever the hell it is they do to make public transportation smell that way.

Posts: 3017 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
^^^^^

This!

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. Booked with a car.

RB

I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
Traveled to Austin a few times. I'd go with my own car.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ECSquirrel:
I think uber is back in Austin. Might be an alternative.
Uber/Lyft indeed back in Austin

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think Uber and Lyft are back but that happened only a few weeks ago so I don't know the level of service yet. There are several other "ride sharing" companies in town as well.

I don't use these services so I can't tell you any company names.

Don't forget the Bar-B-Que! It's important.

T-Boy

Posts: 499 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: September 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
My daughter lives about 2 blocks away from the DPS complex, and I'm always seeing buses on N. Lamar when I'm there. I'm not a bus fan, so I'd use Lyft or Uber if they are available.

Traffic usually moves on the roads, but the highways are a monster during peak times. We'll be in Austin this Saturday, and even on the weekends, traffic on the highways are bad.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1169 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
You could always go to the new DPS licensing facility in Pflugerville. Just go north on I35, then east on Wells Branch Parkway and you'll find it easily.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MG34_Dan,

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2191 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
This is for a private security exam, which is conducted only at the main complex.

RB