SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    DSLR Upgrade Question - Canon
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DSLR Upgrade Question - Canon Login/Join 
posted
Hey Gang!

I have had a Canon T2i since 2010 and it has been a great camera. It was my first DSLR and use it for work and family on a regular basis.

This last year the red dot that lights up when focusing went out and everything seems to have shifted focus. Canon wanted a fortune to fix it, so I am looking to upgrade. I have the EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100 mm, and two EF-S lenses that came with the T2i, the 18-55 and 55-250.

I see the Canon 80D at Costco and it has peaked my interest. I was thinking a full frames would be nice, but out of my price range for what I use it for. Is the 80D a solid upgrade? Am I getting more with the 80D over the 77D or the T7i? I need one sooner than later as half my pictures end up being out of focus.

I take lots of pictures of my 3yr old girl, but also use it to take pictures of product for work. I even use it for a work video blog that we do about 10-15 videos a year for. Auto focus with video will be a game changer.

Thanks for the insight!

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
80D is a very solid camera, will be a uuuuuuge upgrade from a T2i (which was my first Canon DSLR after switching from Nikon)

Since you already have the lenses covere, instead of Costco I'd pick up an 80D body one from Canon as a refurb.

Canon refurb (from Canon direct) are essentially new and have same 1 year warranty as a new product. Some argue they are better than new as they are individually tested/inspected rather than the random samples tested from the new pipeline.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/sho...80d-body-refurbished

I sold my 7D II and my 6D to get a 5D IV, and am planning to pick up an 80D as a second body.

Canon xxD series are the "Prosumer" models with better interface and feature set of the "consumer" Txi series.

The T7i might have marginally better high ISO capability, but 80D going to beat it everywhere else.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10937 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hunter,

You may want to compare 7D MK II with 80D to confuse the issue, there's also a recently released 77D.

In Canon world the lower the number, the "better" the camara. FWIW, The top of the line Canon is a 1DX MK II

IF you are thinking about full frame, Canon just released the 5D MK IV, so the MK III can be found at a more "agreable" price.

To get some more deals, you may also want to visit the Canon refurbished camara and refurbished lens website.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Jake

Posts: 271 | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imadat:
You may want to compare 7D MK II with 80D to confuse the issue, there's also a recently released 77D.

Having had the 7D II, I can tell you the 80D has the better/newer sensor. 7D II has better AF and frame rate for action (due to dual Digic processors) but unless you mostly do sports/action/bird in flight I think the 80D is the better all around camera and still quite capable for action.

7D II uses dual pixel AF while 80D (as well as T7i and 77D) have the newer hybrid dual pixel/phase detect AF, also the 7D II does not have touch screen which is a really efficient way to interact with the camera.

The newer 24mp sensor also gives much better ISO performance over the older 20mp sensor used in the 7DII, with less noise and better dynamic range.

While the T7i and 77D offer the newer Digic 7 processor, the 80D uses the same sensor but has a higher end feature set than either of them. The "better" high ISO rating on the T7i and 77D is due to the Digic 7 processor doing in camera JPG, raw data is equal.

quote:
In Canon world the lower the number, the "better" the camara. FWIW, The top of the line Canon is a 1DX MK II

Yes and no, not quote that simple. Canon basically has three lines, single digit "nD" series (1D,5D,7D), double-digit "nnD" series (60D,70D,80D), and triple-digit "nnnD" series (600D,650D,700D).

The triple-digit series go by alternate designators in the US market of T2i, T5i, T7i, etc.

The nD series is the top line, "Pro" level cameras and the lower the number the higher the model line. Current Canon king is 1DX Mark II, followed by 5D Mark IV. 7D Mark II is the current top end crop body.

In the double ("Prosumer") and triple-digit (consumer) lines, the higher the number the newer/better the camera.

80D trumps 70D, 80D trumps 77D. T7i tops T6i, T5i, etc.

With the T6 series, Canon departed and made a T6s in addition to the T6i. The "s" model added some of the control features of the nnD line such as top LCD panel and additional function controls, but not necessarily the higher end features such as frame rate, max shutter speed, flash sync speed, etc. as sort of a bridge between the two lines.

Evidently the "s" designation was re-thought and for the T7i, they went with the 77D designator instead to show it in its place between the consumer and prosumer lines.

Here is a good comparison between the T7i, 77D, and 80D...

https://www.dpreview.com/artic...s-eos-77d-vs-eos-80d

quote:

IF you are thinking about full frame, Canon just released the 5D MK IV, so the MK III can be found at a more "agreable" price.

The 6D remains as the "entry" FF body, but it is getting long in the tooth and the 6D Mark II is rumored to be on the horizon. Even at the lower pricing, the 5D III remains a current model (not discontinued with the release of the Mark IV) and still tips the scale at over 2x the price of the 80D.

Having had the 6D, it is a great camera but I think the 80D is better all around (mostly due to MUCH better AF).

quote:

To get some more deals, you may also want to visit the Canon refurbished camara and refurbished lens website.

Agree wholeheartedly. Unless I can find a better deal, I get what I can from Canon refurb. Since they charge sales tax in my state I can sometimes do better, but I've bought lenses, flash, bodies from them and never been dissatisfied.

Another place to check is canonpricewatch.com, they team up with Canon authorized dealers to sell under the Canon MAP and will almost always be the cheapest if buying new.

As an example, 80D body - $989.99 vs $1099 on BHPhoto (Canon refurb $899.19 but may have tax and shipping)

Posts: 10937 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
The real question is: do you want Full frame Glass which comes at a premium? It will definitely improve the quality of your photography. If you want full frame, buy used and from a reputable dealer (B&H)..

Posts: 13809 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the tips! Costco has an 80D package that I was looking at. It comes with a case, extra battery, 32GB memory card, and two lenses (18-55, 55-250). I have those same lenses, but mine are about 7+ years old. Do the new lenses have any extra features? Playing around with them in the store they feel completely different. They have certainly updated them, but I can't tell if what I like about them really comes from the camera.

I am glad to see the 80D is a good option. I was worried I wouldn't get much from the upgrade and might be better with the T7i. I really enjoy taking pictures and even touching them up in Photoshop, but not ready to pay $4k for a camera body just yet. Really the lenses I have do everything I need at the moment. The 50mm is by far my favorite, but isn't always the right lens.

Here is the Costco deal. The 80D is only $50 cheaper refurbished, at that difference I might as well get a new one.

Costco 80D

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the explanation 911Boss.

I just upgraded from a 5D Mk1 (hand-me-down) to a 5DMk IV. Really liking the IV, but appreciative of the Mk1, which was about as good a set of training wheels as anyone can ask for.

I also have a 7D Mk1 that I've been wondering about replacing. It's basically permanently paired with a 100-400 USM I. I've been thinking about upgrading to a 7DMk II and USM II, but not sure it's worth the money since I'm more of gifted hobbyist at best.

Your explanation helps with Canon's internal ranking/numbering system.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Funny to see this thread - was at an airshow with my buddies old Digital "rebel" and the pictures came out great. The phone just doesn't cut it - and not bad to carry around with a strap and monopod.

So - made the decision I need to get one. What caught my attention is the 80D seems to mix the best value (features, weather "proof" body, etc.) for not a lot more...Then another buddy who is into photography recommended the Sony CyberShot RX10 III.

I'm not a pro and early even as an "amateur". I want a camera I can take to events, family gatherings, family weekends and get some good pictures. This requires a decent zoom and much better quality than I can get with my camera. He said the lenses with the Canon are "nice" - but left me wondering if I should look at picking up the body (Refurb) and just buy a lens? Or get a lens pack? OR go to a different camera with a monster zoom, great lense and "good to great" picture quality.

yeah I'm getting confused and will definitely listen to the expert opinions here.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hunter62:
Thank you for the tips! Costco has an 80D package that I was looking at. It comes with a case, extra battery, 32GB memory card, and two lenses (18-55, 55-250). I have those same lenses, but mine are about 7+ years old. Do the new lenses have any extra features? Playing around with them in the store they feel completely different. They have certainly updated them, but I can't tell if what I like about them really comes from the camera.

I am glad to see the 80D is a good option. I was worried I wouldn't get much from the upgrade and might be better with the T7i. I really enjoy taking pictures and even touching them up in Photoshop, but not ready to pay $4k for a camera body just yet. Really the lenses I have do everything I need at the moment. The 50mm is by far my favorite, but isn't always the right lens.

Here is the Costco deal. The 80D is only $50 cheaper refurbished, at that difference I might as well get a new one.

Costco 80D

I'm confused, refurb body only is <$900 from Canon, so that's a $400 difference. Not much difference in lenses, there are many versions out there (especially the 18-55mm) . Are yours marked "IS" and "STM"? If so, I wouldn't bother upgrading via package. Many of the kit lenses on the used market. Do you use the camera for video? The improvements in the newer lense versions are geared towards video. For still photos, no discernible difference in most cases as the actual optics are changed little.

You can get like new used pair of 18-55 and 55-250 in the $250-$275 range. If the Costco price is in your budget, I'd go for this Canon refurb kit with 18-135mm lens at $1250:

https://shop.usa.canon.com/sho...-usm-kit-refurbished

While still a "kit" lens, the 18-135 is a step up optically and a great range for all around use.

I totally spaced mentioning another "upgrade" that comes with the higher camera lines (thanks to FlyingScot for mentioning weathersealing). Build level is better/stronger on 80D. Weather sealing, stronger frame, more metal-less plastic, etc.

posted Hide Post
Hey 911,

I was just saying on the Canon website, the new body is only $50 more than a refurbed body. For $50 I can just get a new one.

Both of my kit lenses have IS, but not STM. Being able to use autofocus while doing video would be a huge bonus, my current camera doesn't really do that for video.

I think I have decided on the 80D, now I just need to figure out if I am just getting a body, or what kit I might want.

Thanks for the help!

Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hunter62:
Hey 911,

I was just saying on the Canon website, the new body is only $50 more than a refurbed body. For $50 I can just get a new one.

Both of my kit lenses have IS, but not STM. Being able to use autofocus while doing video would be a huge bonus, my current camera doesn't really do that for video.

I think I have decided on the 80D, now I just need to figure out if I am just getting a body, or what kit I might want.

Thanks for the help!

Link? It shows 80D refurb body at $899.19 and new at $1099 for me.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/sho...&searchTerm=80d+body

If you do video, STM is the way to go.

posted Hide Post
My mistake, I thought the $959 was the normal price, and $899 was refurbished. The refurb is just on sale for $899.