SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Officer shoots man....before man can hurt....himself.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Officer shoots man....before man can hurt....himself. Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
This one really has me puzzled. The man was threatening to harm himself...no one else. Why shoot him?

http://www.startribune.com/pol...d-robbery/465508913/

In the eyes of some, the Minneapolis police officers who shot and critically wounded a suicidal man after he refused to drop his knife during a tense standoff in an interview room showed tremendous restraint in the face of grave danger and acted appropriately — heroically even.

But to others, the cases raises some complicated questions about whether the officers acted properly when they drew their guns and fired on a man who appeared to only be a threat to himself.

The man who they shot, 18-year-old Marcus Fischer, lay in a hospital bed Wednesday recovering from wounds both self-inflicted and after being struck by several police bullets. Later that day, prosecutors charged him in connection with a shooting that led to his arrest.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12328 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
See my CUT.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Riiigghhht...because being inside a small interview room with a suicidal guy holding an knife isn't at all dangerous to the anyone else in the room. Roll Eyes

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
That article is so fucktarded, how could anyone glean any perspective from it?

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
They had to shoot him to save him.

j/k

Sounds like a good shoot to me.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12678 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:

Haha. Hold it men, he's not bluffing!

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Why didn't they just shoot the knife out of his hand?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Why didn't they just shoot the knife out of his had?

If they had used a bullet to remove the knife from his possession, they'd need to shoot him in the have.

Once he dropped it, it was in his had.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31435 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And you need to keep shooting the had until it is a have not.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
I see they used a Taser first but it didn't stop him stabbing himself. Police should probably have saved their ammo and just let him bleed out. The scum had had a busy week, prior to the suicide attempt.
quote:
According to authorities, Fischer arranged to buy a Kel-Tec 9-millimeter handgun from a 21-year-old Elk River man, who agreed to meet him on the afternoon of Dec. 13. But after the man and a friend let Fischer hold the gun, he pulled out his own firearm and said that the Kel-Tec was now his, prosecutors said.

As he left, he shot the Elk River man once in the chest

As to lessons learned, at least they are thinking about how to prevent this sort of thing going forward.
quote:
The incident also raised questions about why police didn’t discover the knife Fischer was carrying.

Department sources say they plan to put metal-detector wands outside interview rooms at police headquarters and in every precinct house across the city. Suspects and witnesses would now go through screening before being interviewed

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
"... a man who appeared to only be a threat to himself."

If a man is to a point that he will kill himself, he likely cares little for the affairs of strangers.

Not always, but pretty good bet.

I have no trouble with things that end the way they did, with the exception of the hand wringing and "what iffing" from the "spectators".

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
"... a man who appeared to only be a threat to himself."

If a man is to a point that he will kill himself, he likely cares little for the affairs of strangers.

I have no trouble with things that end the way they did, with the exception of the hand wrirnging and "what iffing" from the "spectators".

In paramedic training I was told to remember a potential suicide is preparing to commit a homicide.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31435 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:

I believe you would be wrong in the majority of cases. I believe the exact opposite is more likely to be true.

Year V

Posts: 2631 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
quote:

I believe you would be wrong in the majority of cases. I believe the exact opposite is more likely to be true.

I'm a student of violent behavior and a protege of experts in the field. Believe what you like, but you are incorrect. Suicidal subjects are very dangerous and the general populace's lack of understanding in this area is even more so.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
How many actually suicidal people (those being different from folks with murderous intent) have ever (physically) hurt someone else, even in, say, just the last 20yrs?

Given the general lack of quality data and statistical analysis with respect to police and shootings and suicide in general, how would one even know?

Who can say, with any reasonable degree of accuracy, whether the suicidal person is a real threat to others even 1% of the time, much less 5%, or 50%?

Anyone?

Is there some amazing research on the topic somewhere?

I have my doubts.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
“The question really is, given the circumstances and what you’re dealing with, did you exhaust other options?” said Quinn, a former Minneapolis sergeant who trains police departments across the country. “If you look at the recent history of the Minneapolis Police Department, and given some of the shootings that they’ve been involved in recently, it gives you the feeling that cops are being very quick to shoot.”

Still, he added that officers have a moral obligation to intervene when someone’s life is at risk, while weighing their own safety and that of others.

This is kind of a no-win situation for the officers. They can't very well just stand there and let the guy bleed out, they'd be crucified for it. The taser didn't work and if they'd tried to go hands-on with the guy he would possibly have injured (or worse) one or more officers. Same risk if they'd brought in a dog. So really, what other option did they have? Pepper spray, maybe, but in an enclosed space that could very well backfire on them or affect bystanders (in which case they'd probably be sued).

Posts: 7266 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Considering that he was charged with a shooting that brought the officers to arrest him to begin with, significantly changes the story. This is simply bad reporting.

This should be a story about a guy who is trying to evade arrest with the old "I'll kill myself" ploy and it failed.

To be honest I'm getting weary of people telling emergency workers that they need to find a better way. If you're so smart, figure it out, test it, employ in in real world situations beta testing, then see if your idea would even work or just get you or someone else killed.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
I see they used a Taser first but it didn't stop him stabbing himself. Police should probably have saved their ammo and just let him bleed out. The scum had had a busy week, prior to the suicide attempt.
quote:
According to authorities, Fischer arranged to buy a Kel-Tec 9-millimeter handgun from a 21-year-old Elk River man, who agreed to meet him on the afternoon of Dec. 13. But after the man and a friend let Fischer hold the gun, he pulled out his own firearm and said that the Kel-Tec was now his, prosecutors said.

As he left, he shot the Elk River man once in the chest

As to lessons learned, at least they are thinking about how to prevent this sort of thing going forward.
quote:
The incident also raised questions about why police didn’t discover the knife Fischer was carrying.

Department sources say they plan to put metal-detector wands outside interview rooms at police headquarters and in every precinct house across the city. Suspects and witnesses would now go through screening before being interviewed

So they never heard of a physical search?!?!?!?!

Damn.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
ehh..he is alive. If he would have slit his throat he might not be here or he could have killed a officer. "didn't APEAR to be a threat"

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post