SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Delayed Gratification
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Delayed Gratification Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
When Grandson Casey (the Marine) was in his pre-teen and teen years, he didn't show much interest in the things I was doing.

Happy to ride the ATV I kept running for him, no interest in learning to fix or adjust it himself.

Happy to have me help him build a dog house, no interest in the whys and hows of how it was built.

Not much interest at all in guns when he found out Gramp wasn't about to turn him loose with no supervision.

Well, now he's married, two little boys of his own and he's hip deep into all of these things.

He calls/texts me for advice on power tools and just bought his first compound miter saw. He's building speaker enclosures for his buddies and doing a darn nice job of it from what I can see. Built a set of bunk beds for the boys complete with a slide to get from the top bunk to the floor. Bitching about not having enough room in his garage for the bench he'd really like to build.

Bought a pair of hammered up mini-ATV's and created one good one out of the pair for the wife and boys. 110cc Suzuki of some sort, major engine work required. Again, many phone calls and texts for advice from The Old Fart.

Got into guns (well, Glocks... Razz ) and suddenly developed an interest in reloading. Got a Lee Classic Turret and turrets and dies for .380 and .45ACP, just got off the phone with him with some questions on loads and crimping. Also has the hots for a Ruger SP101 so there's hope.

I gotta say I'm gratified. Whether or not his early exposure to such things whilst hanging around with Gramps has anything to do with his current interests, I choose to think so.

Which brings up another point: Be careful what you say and do around kids, you never know when they might be paying attention... Eek

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15223 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
You deservedly sound like a proud grandfather.

Ain't it amazing how parents and grandparents suddenly become wise when jr turns 24 or 25?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear that and your love/hard work paid off. I was the same way as a teenager. Well, I loved guns but didn't car about fixing cars or building things. Now I have many many more guns, work on cars a lot, and keep filling my garage with tools and have to walk over them most of the time.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

Some old Jewish Proverb...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
< snip >

Got into guns (well, Glocks... Razz )

< snip >

YWBAG.

QED.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31435 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Actually, he bought a Glock while he was up here visiting and I (and if you repeat this I'll deny it...) shot it and liked it!

Shot pretty nice groups for a strange gun and a serious lack of practice over the last several years.

I could actually see me getting one if I wanted another 9mm.

He has since traded the 9 towards a .45, also a Glock.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15223 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
He has since traded the 9 towards a .45, also a Glock.
He is on the right train, but should've stayed on one more stop (i.e. 10mm). Wink

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Grandparents are awesome. They can have a very strong influence on grandkids. You did good and is an encouragement for those wondering if their influence is received or not.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19658 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
He's lucky to have you, sir. Good work.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

Some old Jewish Proverb...

Proverbs 22:6

When I got into some trouble when I was a teenager, my mother asked my father about this verse. The way she asked her question, it was like she was wondering what went wrong. I ansered, "Well, I'm not old yet."

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10704 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post