SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Visio TV comes on by itself
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Visio TV comes on by itself Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
I think my Sony is possessed. I shut it off after watching and go and do other stuff. Come back into the room anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour later, and it's on. This happens about 50% of the time. Other times I turn it off like always and it's fine.

I put it down to fat-fingering the tiny little buttons on the remote.

I didn't have it on at all yesterday and I woke up sometime last night (it's in the bedroom) and it was on!

I was under the impression that remotes were I/R and line-of-sight. Is it possible that the remote is using a wifi-type signal (for lack of a better term) and one of the other two TV remotes in use elsewhere in the house are affecting it?

Or should I shoot it?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15207 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
You need an exorcism.

Posts: 8610 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43865 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
^^^ Hence my comment about shooting it. Big Grin

Posts: 15207 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
What other devices are connected to your TV? I would guess that there's another device turning on when you're turning everything off (universal remotes gone wild kind of thing.).

DTV remotes can be either IR or radio. You'd have to see if your tv and/or remotes can do both as well. Could be a solution.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6850 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
"Smart" system paying you back for passing gas in the viewing area!

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16183 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I did a Bing search and it seems that the default setting is that "off" is actually "standby".

There's a procedure to turn off something called "CEC" that's supposed to fix the issue.

Shoulda searched first. You'd think by now I'd know that The Internet Knows All.

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:

If that were true, I'd have been killed in my sleep by now. SWMBO has threatened it often enough...

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:

If that were true, I'd have been killed in my sleep by now. SWMBO has threatened it often enough...

OMG! hahahahahahahahahahaaaa

Those lobster rolls must be killer! Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16183 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Some TVs/monitors will light up when they see activity on an HDMI input. In fact, these are never "off" but rather "sleeping." A flag that this is what is happening is that the activating signal will become the selected device, but this does not always happen. Disconnect everything but the antenna, see if behavior changes.

Posts: 6452 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Nothing to worry about. It's just the only way the Chinese Government can access your microphone and camera. Eek

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
Some TVs/monitors will light up when they see activity on an HDMI input. In fact, these are never "off" but rather "sleeping." A flag that this is what is happening is that the activating signal will become the selected device, but this does not always happen. Disconnect everything but the antenna, see if behavior changes.

^^^This was my issue when my TV started turning itself on at night. Removing the Firestick from the HDMI connection stopped the issue. I ended up plugging the TV into a Smart Plug and controlling the power through that device.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1353 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Mine did that too.
When my Amazon Fire Stick went into sleep mode it would turn the TV back on by some HDMI signal. I started turning my Fire Stick to sleep mode before powering the TV off and no more problems.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I had that happen a few times on the garage TV, chalked it up to me not turning it off completely as the box was off but the screen remained on, sometimes the screen was off and the sound bar would stay on, freaked out the wife when she'd walk out there for work at 5 am and hear some guys talking... LOL

Posts: 23381 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Simply wrap the TV in a blanket and store it in the trunk of your car when it’s not in use.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
After all, it is October and as I look through your TV, I see you don’t have your tinfoil hat on.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flow first,
power later.
posted Hide Post
What brand TV, Sony or Visio?

Posts: 672 | Location: Tampa | Registered: September 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Sony/Samsung/Viso/whatever....they all do this. The only way to turn it OFF is to unplug it. I wake up at night and see a glow com8ng down the hall from the den. The Samsung is sitting there complaining about no signal from any of it’s devices.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Simply wrap the TV in a blanket and store it in the trunk of your car when it’s not in use.

There was a reason Cadillac made the 11975 Cadillac Series 75 Bro-ham.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43865 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
When I turn my BluRay player on the receiver also comes on. Same deal, it is not completely "off" but in standby mode. Doesn't bother me though as it has to come on eventually if I want to watch a movie.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post