SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Harley Davidson to Buy Ducati
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Harley Davidson to Buy Ducati Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I'd venture that HD will get the deal done, Ducati cannot survive by itself and if VW wants to get rid of it, it's gone, Ducati doesn't fit VW and I'd imagine the deal with them was that VW put in some cash to keep the company going.

It's amazing that folks think that HD, the most successful heavy cruiser touring bike company in the world, that somehow its current product type makes management too stupid and incompetent to manage a tiny company like Ducati. Their products have buyers with different objectives but both are in the motorcycle market.

As to HD being technologically deficient, folks saying haven't kept up on HD since AMF days (which by the way kept HD alive vs almost killing it, again most don't know the full story).

Today's HD have sophisticated electronics, including throttle by wire, BCM (thats body control modules like new cars) Brembo 4 piston brakes, the electronics have been significantly upgraded running ecm and bcm with canbus technology for several years. Throttle cables and carburetors have been gone for a long time, EFI has evolved from crappy Italian Magnetti-Marelli systems the obtained in the late 90's that were really marginal into higher end Delphi controlled systems that are state of the art closed loop wide band 02 sensor systems with significant computer controls.

Integrated electronic communications systems from Harmon Kardon run the radio, cb, intercom, bluetooth, GPS systems. I can even hook my Iphone to the HK head unit and take or make phone calls if I choose and the sound quality on the bike at 80 MPH is better than in your car I kid you not...

Hell my 2016 HD has a friggin radiator, OMG!

For 2017 the newest 8 cam HD vtwin engine was introduced, a water cooled 4 valve per head single cam engine, that is cooler, more powerful, quieter, the entire primary drive system was revised, frames have been redesigned for better handling and ride.

For those of giving HD grief, it just proves they don't know jack shit about whats been going on inside HD, and assume that a bike you ride like a monkey fucking a football must be massively better than one you ride sitting upright because it looks older, like it was designed in the 1940's.

Maybe it fits, maybe there are things Ducati does that HD wants to move into HD, perhaps HD's massive parts system, dealer network, distribution network, in the usa will help Ducati grow in the US market as well, and Ducati might help HD into the India market.

I guarantee you the folks in Milwaukee are not just sitting around saying "Hey Willie G, we didn't lose enough on Eric Buell or MV Augusta, and we've got a couple hundred mill in cash here with nothing to spend it on, lets go buy Ducati...."

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's amazing that folks think that HD, the most successful heavy cruiser touring bike company in the world, that somehow its current product type makes management too stupid and incompetent to manage a tiny company like Ducati.

HD has proven it several times. No amazement needed. Insanity - doing the same the over and over again, but expecting a different result.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can see it working if they keep the brands mostly separate and leverage efficiencies. I think Ducati dealerships should be pure. I can see Harley dealerships having a few Ducs on the floor. Some Scramblers for the well-heeled middle age rider's young adult son (daughter, wife?) and a Mulitstrada because he has always thought about trying an Adventure riding trip.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
HD engineers are busy at work developing a method to make Ducatis leak oil.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought we had a rule against misleading thread titles? None of the "reporting" on this (a term I use as loosely as possible) indicates there is any serious intention by HD to buy Ducati beyond the rumor that they are possibly exploring it. The thread title makes it sound like a done deal.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
Roll Eyes

That joke was funny 34 years ago, before H-D (due to the efforts of the AMF era leadership) introduced the EVO engine.

Now such comments are just nonsense.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
quote:
Roll Eyes

That joke was funny 34 years ago, before H-D (due to the efforts of the AMF era leadership) introduced the EVO engine.

No, it is still a little funny.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
quote:
Roll Eyes

No, it is still a little funny.

No, it is still a lot funny. Somehow HD will screw it up. Leave it alone. Let Ducati make some of the best sporting bikes on the planet with Ducati or another company at the helm. HD, stick with making overpriced couches on wheels.

Posts: 4055 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I visited HD dealerships many times over the years that HD owned ( and mismanaged) Buell.

Never ... not once ... did I encounter a salesman, manager or any other employee who lived, understood, enjoyed, owned or rode sport bikes, or had any interest in road racing. Never.

OK, except for the brief period when Bruce Rossmeyer's daughter
Shelley, ran the Triumph and Ducati enterprise in Ormond Beach. OK, and once, when a young mechanic in Sevierville, TN's HD dealership talked XR1200's with me, once.

If HD buys Ducati and tries to sell them in their brick and mortar stores alongside HD cruisers and Sportsters, history will repeat.

Posts: 15893 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Speedbird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK: ... Harley-Davidson is lining up a takeover bid for Italian Ducati...

Posts: 503 | Location: Fort Couch (VA) | Registered: December 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
People that don't like Harleys or its culture will always talk shit. It's tired, old, and weak.

I give it the same credence as 9mm vs .45 arguments. Subjectivity and tribalism run amok.

I just like motorcycles, all sorts. Granted, a plasticy anime looking crotch rocket or even most Ducatis isn't my style at all, but I appreciate them just the same. Most can't or won't extend that same sort of philosophy toward HD. They are very polarizing, clearly.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
I'm not a motorcycle person, so I don't have a dog in the fight. Personally, I like the look and the sound of Harley Davidson bikes and I really like the look of some of Ducati's and BMW's bikes but don't care much for any other bikes. However, having said all that does any die hard Ducati lover really think that their bikes would be in better hands if the company was bought out by a private equity fund or some hedge fund? At least HD is a motorcycle company. Sure they want to be as profitable as possible but they want to build bikes. If a hedge fund bought Ducati tomorrow and they discovered that they could make more money making Ducati toasters instead of Ducati motorcycles then they would make toasters instead of motorcycles. Seriously, for anyone truly passionate about motorcycles, guns, tools, whatever - when was the last time that a buyout by a private equity firm resulted in better, more exciting products for the passionate followers of that company's products? If VW really wants out of owning Ducati then it's going to happen. The question is would they be better being owned by another, albeit different, motorcycle company or by some private equity firm that only cares about maximizing return on their investment not necessarily about being a motorcycle company?

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5576 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Nice assessment, CHEG.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38675 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
^ that pic is hilarious. Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Roll Eyes

Do try to keep up...

http://www.latimes.com/la-fi-h...70605-htmlstory.html

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
People that don't like Harleys or its culture will always talk shit. It's tired, old, and weak.

I give it the same credence as 9mm vs .45 arguments. Subjectivity and tribalism run amok.

I just like motorcycles, all sorts. Granted, a plasticy anime looking crotch rocket or even most Ducatis isn't my style at all, but I appreciate them just the same. Most can't or won't extend that same sort of philosophy toward HD. They are very polarizing, clearly.

And the weekend warriors in buttless chaps pretending to be an extra in Sons of Anarchy on their Harley's looking down their nose at any other style of bike is tired, weak, and old as well.

Posts: 4055 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Didn't read the article yet but I wonder if this is the result of the gargantuan hicky VW took recently.

That is what is claimed as to why the VW group MAY sell Ducati.
Financial issues due to 'Dieselgate'.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve 22X:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Didn't read the article yet but I wonder if this is the result of the gargantuan hicky VW took recently.

That is what is claimed as to why the VW group MAY sell Ducati.
Financial issues due to 'Dieselgate'.

Hmmm, I don't think the "VW Group" has financial issues. Not with these motor vehicle products in production...

Audi. Volkswagen Group's cash cow, Audi, aims to sell 2 million cars by 2020. ...
Bentley. ...
Bugatti, Lamborghini & Ducati. ...
Porsche. ...
Skoda. ...
Seat. ...
VW brand. ...
VW commercial, MAN & Scania.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
quote:
quote:
Roll Eyes

Do try to keep up...

http://www.latimes.com/la-fi-h...70605-htmlstory.html
I keep up just fine, but the oil leak jokes aren't about a possible mistake when installing a clamp on just the 2017 touring bikes. They are about all H-D engines having a reputation for constantly leaking oil. However, that reputation was developed before the EVO, and then the Twin-Can engines, which are "oil tight."

Therefore the oil leak jokes haven't had a basis in fact for more than 3 decades.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post